[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is up with Lavar Arrington?

pork chop express

I mean can a fellow get a decent explanation as to why they aren't playing him? I understand the reasoning behind him exiting the team next year as far as his recent injuries and the high cost of keeping him, but why isn;t he on the field now. He is a beats and should be playing at least some of the time. He is healthy...so what gives?

The Washington Post has a good article talking about the salary cap issue. IMO, along with the salary cap, part of it boils down to LA's rep for freelancing (which Def Coord Williams hates), them wanting to play guys that will be with them in '06, and possibly the fact that he stuck it to Danny-boy for the $6mil signing bonus (he only got some of it though). It kinda reminds me of years ago when Al Davis stuck Marcus Allen on the bench for a couple seasons and then sent him to KC because Davis just didn't like him.

If you have him as an IDP, he's not going to get you very much.

From the Post

"Arrington has essentially been relegated to the fifth linebacker on the roster, behind the three starters, as well as reserve Chris Clemons. Khary Campbell is the sixth linebacker, but even he gets on the field more than Arrington, given his key role on special teams. Arrington took part in two plays in Sunday's win over Seattle and sat out the entire second half despite the Seahawks' comeback, which included a 91-yard drive that tied the game at 17 in the waning minutes. The coaches have given no indication that Arrington's role will increase anytime soon, and it may require injuries to other linebackers for him to play regularly."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5100401283.html

From what I've heard from the Skins beat reporter on local sports radio, Lavar just won't conform to Greg William's defensive schemes. The Defense reportedly has 31 different personnel packages. Lavar is on the field in ONE of 31 packages.

p.s. Lavar denies the report that he refused to play special teams.

Lavar just won't conform to Greg William's defensive schemes

This is the reason.

Lavar is great when he is featured in the defense, and when he has the freedom to do whatever he wants to do. But Greg Williams defensive schemes are all about all 11 players having a specific role in every single package, and this only works if all 11 players stick to their specific roles. When you get one guy out there (Lavar) who won't do his job, the entire scheme breaks down.

From here in DC it is purely a salary cap move. I think if they could trade him, they would. I am sure there is a cap hit if they do this but I am not sure. They were one of the top defenses last year without him and they are pretty good again this year. Maybe he'll be in Baltimore next year.