[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steinbrenner is an AZZ

MojoMan

Speaking in the Yankees clubhouse where he's spent 21 seasons as a player and coach, Stottlemyre said he interpreted Steinbrenner's statement following the Yankees' elimination by the Los Angeles Angels as a slap at Torre. Steinbrenner said Tuesday: "I congratulate the Angels and their manager on the great job they've done."

That's really awful of the Boss to congratulate the other team on a great job. Absolutely terrible.

Speaking in the Yankees clubhouse where he's spent 21 seasons as a player and coach, Stottlemyre said he interpreted Steinbrenner's statement following the Yankees' elimination by the Los Angeles Angels as a slap at Torre. Steinbrenner said Tuesday: "I congratulate the Angels and their manager on the great job they've done."

That's really awful of the Boss to congratulate the other team on a great job.  Absolutely terrible.

1063903[/snapback]

I think the implication is that the Yankee manager didn't do such a good job.

Because Stottlemyre's interpretation has to be correct?

1065034[/snapback]

Even if it isn't, he's seen more than his share of King George second-guessing and belittling his GMs and coaches... and, like Zimmer, he's fed up with it.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Agreed... even more reason why his interpretation of a Steinbrenner quote might not be the correct one.

1065629[/snapback]

That's certainly possible. Then again, I'm sure that King George has made quite a few improper/unprofessional comments off the record to Mel, Torre, Cashman, etc.

Steinbrenner isn't fit to carry Torre's jock.  Steinbrenner is a stupid greedy old fart.  Torre is a thorough class act.

1067683[/snapback]

It's Steinbrenner's team.

He spent $205,000,000 on player salaries. He's got the highest paid manager in the game. The highest paid coaching staff. The best amenities provided a pro athlete could ever request.

The front office got an AL record attendance of over 4,000,000 people through the gates at Yankee Stadium.

The baseball team on the field failed to produce.

Not that Joe Torre isn't a class act, and not that I'm a big fan of the Yankees, but he did not do a particularly good job of managing in 2005.

Agreed... even more reason why his interpretation of a Steinbrenner quote might not be the correct one.

1065629[/snapback]

Come on dude, you've got to be kidding. Steinbrenner may be a lot of things, but he knows what he's doing, and everything he does has a purpose. You don't honestly believe this is a misinterpretation, do you? He wanted to send a message, and that's exactly what he did. Now I can't tell you why, but rest assured, this was done for a reason.

It's Steinbrenner's team.

1084800[/snapback]

That doesn't change the fact that he has no idea how to manage people and is a complete jacka$$.

He spent $205,000,000 on player salaries.

Yeah, just look at these bargains...

A-Rod (playoff choke): $26 million

Mussina (no longer a stud): $19 million

Randy Johnson (another playoff choke) $16 million

Kevin Brown (washed up): $15.7 million

Bernie Williams (see above): $12.4 million

Carl Pavano (4-6, 4.77): $9 million

Steve Karsay (who?): $6 million

Jaret Wright (5-5, 6.08): $5.7 million

Billiant! :D

Maybe George should stick to writing checks. If he were a GM, he would've been fired last week.

Not that Joe Torre isn't a class act, and not that I'm a big fan of the Yankees, but he did not do a particularly good job of managing in 2005.

Wow, you haven't been paying attention at all, have you? Outside of Johnson and Mussina, none of the veteran starting pitchers did squat this year. But look what Torre got out of a few minor-league call-ups...

Aaron Small: 10-0, 3.20

Shawn Chacon: 7-3, 2.85

Chien-Ming Wang: 8-5, 4.02

Outside of Bobby Cox, I can't think of another manager who could get that kind of production out of a group of minor-leaguers. "Did not do a particularly good job of managing", my ass. Torre rode that group of nobodys to 95 wins, a division title, and came close to winning the ALDS.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Come on dude, you've got to be kidding. Steinbrenner may be a lot of things, but he knows what he's doing, and everything he does has a purpose. You don't honestly believe this is a misinterpretation, do you? He wanted to send a message, and that's exactly what he did. Now I can't tell you why, but rest assured, this was done for a reason.

1084844[/snapback]

I'm just saying that the article in question had one quote that may or may have been taken out of context, and the interpretation might not have been the correct one.

I'm not even disagreeing with the premise that Big Stein is an ass. He probably is. He demands a lot, often more than can be reasonably expected.

That doesn't change the fact that he has no idea how to manage people and is a complete jacka$$.

Yeah, just look at these bargains...

A-Rod (playoff choke): $26 million

Mussina (no longer a stud): $19 million

Randy Johnson (another playoff choke) $16 million

Kevin Brown (washed up): $15.7 million

Bernie Williams (see above): $12.4 million

Carl Pavano (4-6, 4.77): $9 million

Steve Karsay (who?): $6 million

Jaret Wright (5-5, 6.08): $5.7 million

Billiant!  :D

Maybe George should stick to writing checks.  If he were a GM, he would've been fired last week.

Wow, you haven't been paying attention at all, have you?  Outside of Johnson and Mussina, none of the veteran starting pitchers did squat this year.  But look what Torre got out of a few minor-league call-ups...

Aaron Small: 10-0, 3.20

Shawn Chacon: 7-3, 2.85

Chien-Ming Wang: 8-5, 4.02

Outside of Bobby Cox, I can't think of another manager who could get that kind of production out of a group of minor-leaguers.  "Did not do a particularly good job of managing", my ass.  Torre rode that group of nobodys to 95 wins, a division title, and came close to winning the ALDS.

1084931[/snapback]

I give Joe Torre credit for keeping his mouth shut, sitting on his ass, and letting his $200 million product do what they do. However if you anything about baseball you will realize that Torre has as much to do with pitchers as I do. Mel Stottlemyre should be receiving credit. He was the pitching coach. He was the guy talking to these young guys and keeping them going, not Joe.

You'll NEVER see Joe talking to his pitchers in the dugout, that's Mel's job, or at least it was.

Managed his way to 95 wins? You're crazy. They play in a division with Baltimore, Toronto and Tampa Bay. They spent $200 million dollars. They play in the American league, which as far as I'm concerned, doesn't even need managers because of the fake position known as the DH. I'm so sick of hearing about how good Torre is. He makes no decisions. American league managers have no business becoming manager of the year, with the exception of Ozzie Guillen.

For the $200 million they spent, they played what, 6 more games than the Devil Rays. That's fiscal responsibility. I love it.

I give Joe Torre credit for keeping his mouth shut, sitting on his ass, and letting his $200 million product do what they do. However if you anything about baseball you will realize that Torre has as much to do with pitchers as I do. Mel Stottlemyre should be receiving credit. He was the pitching coach. He was the guy talking to these young guys and keeping them going, not Joe.

You'll NEVER see Joe talking to his pitchers in the dugout, that's Mel's job, or at least it was.

1085007[/snapback]

And who had the foresight to hire Mel? Not giving Joe credit for that is like not giving Bobby Cox credit for hiring Leo Mazzone. Or not giving Mike Shanahan credit for hiring Alex Gibbs.

Oh, and why is Mel Stottlemyre leaving? I'll give you a hint: It's not Torre.

Managed his way to 95 wins? You're crazy. They play in a division with Baltimore, Toronto and Tampa Bay. They spent $200 million dollars.

Pitching wins games. Not over-priced sluggers like A-Rod, Giambi, and Sheffield. Ironically, some of their best pitching came from a few young players who make the league minimum. And whose decision was it to call up those guys from the minors and run them out there in September and October, rather than stick with the proven, high-priced veterans who weren't 100%? I'll give you a hint: It wasn't Mel's.

They play in the American league, which as far as I'm concerned, doesn't even need managers because of the fake position known as the DH. 

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Obviously, you're the one who doesn't know anything about baseball.

I'm so sick of hearing about how good Torre is. He makes no decisions.

You're right. The lineup and starting rotation aren't important decisions. Dealing with the egos of his superstar players, the tough-as-nails New York media, and shielding his players from the wrath of King George the Jacka$$ aren't important jobs, either. :D

In fact, we can conclude that coaches in general aren't important. Guys like Phil Jackson and Scotty Bowman are sooooo overrated. :D

I'm not saying that Torre is the best manager in the league, but he's pretty d@mn good at what he does... and the Yankees would've collapsed years ago without him.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I'm not saying that Torre is the best manager in the league, but he's pretty d@mn good at what he does... and the Yankees would've collapsed years ago without him.

1085095[/snapback]

I would agree. Torre was a winner with the Braves in the early '80's.

I was actually kind of hoping Bobby Cox would step down and Torre would swoop in and show the Braves how to win in October...:D