[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pedro an American?

Donutrun Jellies

Pedro Martinez says he wants to pitch for "his" country ... the Dominican Republic ... in the World Baseball classic.

This isn't a post about who he pitches for -- that's irrelevant.

What more does the United States have to do for this guy to become "his" country? Certainly Pedro's enjoyed more of the "American dream" than 99% of all AMERICANS who came before him searching for economic security and personal freedom ... What happened to the "great American melting pot" where folks from various cultures came here chasing a dream, joined the society, learned the language, got involved in their communities, and it became their country and they became Americans?

:D What happened to that? :D

What happened to the "great American melting pot" where folks from various cultures came here chasing a dream, joined the society, learned the language, got involved in their communities, and it became their country and they became Americans? 

1084542[/snapback]

Talk to immigration. Talk to his accountant. Then blow it out your ass.

It seems to me that the US has become a "land to make $$ than take it home" rather than a "land of opportunity".

I have experienced a commuter population of Purto Ricans, Russians and Indians. They come here, make money and go home rich because the US dollar is worth so much there.

I also don't see anything wrong with Pedro being proud of being Dominican. He is still a citizen of the DR and wants to represent them. Just because Americans have given him mucho $$$ doesn't mean he has to become an American.

Edited by Zooty

What happened to the "great American melting pot" where folks from various cultures came here chasing a dream, joined the society, learned the language, got involved in their communities, and it became their country and they became Americans

:D  What happened to that?  :D

1084542[/snapback]

Maybe I missed your point but this is what doesn't happen any more.

It seems to me that the US has become a "land to make $$ than take it home" rather than a "land of opportunity".

1087108[/snapback]

What about Americans who make their money abroad and "take it home"?

• 4 weeks later...

I also don't see anything wrong with Pedro being proud of being Dominican. He is still a citizen of the DR and wants to represent them. Just because Americans have given him mucho $$$ doesn't mean he has to become an American.

1087108[/snapback]

:D

Couldnt have said it any better...Get your money now and go home rich..Its all about getting what you can no matter where your from.Securing you and your family's future... :D

I'd leave my wife for 5 million dollars.  :D

1144707[/snapback]

I'd leave your wife for 3 million dollars. :D

Still leaves the question on the table as to what ever became of the great american melting pot where immigrants came to this country and became part of this country and believed themselves to be Americans and learned the language and adapted to the culture and lived the american dream? Why'd that dissolve into a divided country full of "this group" and "that group" and lacking in a shared vision, shared values, shared language, shared dreams ... We've got to get that back.

Still leaves the question on the table as to what ever became of the great american melting pot where immigrants came to this country and became part of this country and believed themselves to be Americans and learned the language and adapted to the culture and lived the american dream?  Why'd that dissolve into a divided country full of "this group" and "that group" and lacking in a shared vision, shared values, shared language, shared dreams ... We've got to get that back.

1145388[/snapback]

Still leaves the question on the table as to what ever became of the great american melting pot where immigrants came to this country and became part of this country and believed themselves to be Americans and learned the language and adapted to the culture and lived the american dream?  Why'd that dissolve into a divided country full of "this group" and "that group" and lacking in a shared vision, shared values, shared language, shared dreams ... We've got to get that back.

1145388[/snapback]

:D:D

Sidenote- Livan Henandex defects from Cuba but wants to play for the Purto Rican National Team :D and they are going to let him :D

1145388[/snapback]

:D what a load of crap, :D or not. i don't think he's even a US citizen. he probably couldn't play for the US if he wanted to.

and to act like people who spent most of their lives in their home country continuing to identify with that country is some sort of NEW thing...gimme a break. you're harkening back to a "good ol' days" that never existed. are you saying the old first-generation irish and italian immigrants didn't continue to identify with their home country?

are you saying the old first-generation irish and italian immigrants didn't continue to identify with their home country?

1150916[/snapback]

In our families cases, they continued to identify -- but were so pleased to escape the conditions of the home countries and be free in America that they gladly became Americans in full spirit and raised American children -- proud of their heritage, but clearly and fully Americans. It was important to be "part" of America and to give back for all the country had given to them ... From what I understand of it generations later, it's safe to say there were fond memories of Ireland and elsewhere, but clearly and devotedly, we were Americans from that moment forward. It's what the melting pot was all about -- I just don't see that much anymore ... we'll take all this country has to offer, just not give anything back or embrace it with gratitude. It's toooo bad.