[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Commissioner Needs Advice

starbuck1105

I'm hoping that there are some other fantasy commissioners out there who might be able to offer a little bit of advice.

I'm the Commissioner of a 10-man league. Our top 8 teams advance to the playoffs (4 in each division), so you need to be pretty much bottom of the barrel not to make it.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys at the bottom of the barrel (thanks primarily to an injury-plagued season and some really lousy luck). Anyway, here is my question... After starting the season 1-7, I won four straight games, giving me a 5-7 record and putting me on the cusp of advancing into the 4th playoff spot. I would actually have overtaken the 4th spot last weekend if not for this.

The guy who is currently in the 4th slot in my division has a one-game lead over me. He had the good fortune of playing last weekend against the guy who, at 0-11 is dead last in the league. The guy who is dead last actually would have won this past weekend had he actually made some effort. Instead, he played several inactive players and lost the game by 20 points. So now, going into the final week of the season, the guy in fourth place still has a one-game lead over me. In order for me to make it, I need to win and hope that he loses. Our tiebreaker is overall fantasy points, which is an area that I'm leading by in excess of 100 fantasy points, so that won't be a problem. Still, the odds of him losing and me winning are slim, given that I'm playing the #1 overall team this weekend.

What is frustrating for me, as both an owner and the commissioner, is that by all rights, that 4th playoff seed should be mine to lose. Had the owner with the 0-11 record fielded a team, he would have EASILY won his game, propelling me into a tie for #4 (which would be broken in my favor by the aforementioned fantasy points). Instead, I'm left sitting here hoping that the stars align themselves just right.

I'm actually going to get to my question here, I promise. This weekend, it occurred to me that --- as Fantasy Commissioner --- I had the "power" to adjust the line-up of the player in dead last place so that he is not fielding a team of inactive players. I did not do this last weekend because I felt it would be seen as a self-serving move... and it probably would have been. But moving forward, I'm wondering if any of you guys have policies in your leagues where if an owner has essentially "given up" on his team, somebody has the power to make sure that the owner is still playing active players on a week-to-week basis. Unfortunately, reminding and bitching at this guy in our league doesn't get the job done. He just says, "I'll take care of it," and then ignores it. He definitely will not be invited back next year, but that doesn't mean the same thing couldn't happen with another player.

The guy in dead-last is involved in another crucial game this weekend, in terms of deciding playoff positioning. So I'm hoping to get some advice before then.

Thanks.

I am not a commish, but I don't think you can change his lineup this week only....if you haven't changed it over the last couple of weeks, changing it now would only cause alot of problems...

Good luck

1181333[/snapback]

You are probably right. I think I'm going to try to "shame" him into playing a competitive line-up this week by carbon copying all of the other fantasy owners on my email to him asking him to do so. That way, he knows that if he drops the ball again, the entire league knows about it and several owners will likely be pissed off about it.

That said, I'd still like to get some feedback on this type of policy for use next year and beyond (when we can let owners know from Day 1 what the policy is).

In two of the leagues that i'm in, you have to field a starting team each week, according to our league rules. That means starting a full lineup. If not the team owner gets fined. Don't pay the fines, their are more people interested in joining the league next year.

In your case, if it's not in the league rules. Their's not much you can do.

I don't care if he's your Father In Law, he shouldn't be in your league again next year. Also, publish now to the league this fact, and the fact that you will make sure he fields a competitive lineup this week.

I am a commish, and it would drive me nuts to see this. You've made the right choice by not retroactively changing his roster. In the future, if the roster someone is putting in looks fishy, announce it to the league before the games begin for the week, and announce your intention to adust it at that point if it isn't made competitive.

I don't care if he's your Father In Law, he shouldn't be in your league again next year.  Also, publish now to the league this fact, and the fact that you will make sure he fields a competitive lineup this week.

I am a commish, and it would drive me nuts to see this.  You've made the right choice by not retroactively changing his roster.  In the future, if the roster someone is putting in looks fishy, announce it to the league before the games begin for the week, and announce your intention to adust it at that point if it isn't made competitive.

1181379[/snapback]

How can you change his roster now? Someone is gonna say something about the fact that you didn't change it the past couple weeks, maybe affecting their record or playoff chances?

Should leave it alone this week, but change the rule for next year.......just IMO.

To make my point clear, I actually dropped an owner from my league one year when he cruised into the playoffs with an inactive player on his roster for a few weeks and miraculously made it to the championship game with his lineup in that state (and lost).

I didn't call him back next year. Had he called me prior to the season starting, I would have given him the news. Can't have that stuff going on in your league and keep it running.

Did you state the starting line-up rule in the beginning of the season??? If not, you are gonna come across as a first class whiner. I know it should be given, but common sense ain't common when dealing with FF teams. I feel your pain, but you can't change stuff to suit your needs. Ask yourself this, what if the guy with the sh!tty line up was playing you or YOU won the game from him and the other guy got bumped out...Would this be an issue? I don't think it would. How many other guys could have lost or won if you implemented this rule earlier in the season? Bite the bullet on this. And get ready for next year, your season may be over. This will ruin the league if you make a BIG DEAL NOW since it only affects you.

I am a commish and you should stay on this guys ass and ensure he plays at least active players. I made a rule that each team has to field a full team and if they dont I submit their lineup. I would pose the question to your league and call the guy out and see wht the other teams. If you get little or no response I would submit the lineup to ensure he has active players and then no one can complain becasue you threw it out to the league for suggestions and no one took the time to respond.

Did you state the starting line-up rule in the beginning of the season???  If not, you are gonna come across as a first class whiner.  I know it should be given, but common sense ain't common when dealing with FF teams.  I feel your pain, but you can't change stuff to suit your needs.  Ask yourself this, what if the guy with the sh!tty line up was playing you or YOU won the game from him and the other guy got bumped out...Would this be an issue?  I don't think it would.  How many other guys could have lost or won if you implemented this rule earlier in the season?  Bite the bullet on  this.  And get ready for next year, your season may be over.  This will ruin the league if you make a BIG DEAL NOW since it only affects you.

1181413[/snapback]

I don't think you read my initial thread very carefully. I specifically stated that I DID NOT change anything to suit MY needs (as much as I would have liked to). My status will be completely unaffected by whatever happens this weekend. So if I change his line-up, it would be for the benefit of the players who deserve a fair shake this weekend.

That said, I've decided not to change his line-up this coming week. I'm asking moreso for the sake of next year when this type of policy can be announced at the onset.

I don't think you read my initial thread very carefully.  I specifically stated that I DID NOT change anything to suit MY needs (as much as I would have liked to).  My status will be completely unaffected by whatever happens this weekend.  So if I change his line-up, it would be for the benefit of the players who deserve a fair shake this weekend.

That said, I've decided not to change his line-up this coming week.  I'm asking moreso for the sake of next year when this type of policy can be announced at the onset.

1181466[/snapback]

I did read your original post. If I remeber correctly, you made it sound like you were concerned about the crucial game next week for the guy in dead last place. And you sound like you are "considering" changing next weeks line up if the talk doesn't work.

Either way you are doing the right thing by NOT changing his line up and it sounds like you have your policy for next year. You will always have problems with the guys who have teams that suck. If this is a paying league, the rules need to be hammered out early and The HUDDLE usually has good rule reccomendations to prevent crap like this from happening. GL, hope ya make the play-offs.

We give a bonus $5 that the losing team has to pay the winning team. Everyone pays $5 per game at the beginning of the year (ends up being $80, plus league fees). YOu get $5 back at the end of the year per win you get. It also eliminated unfair trades toward the end of the year.

That helps to eliminate this type of crap!