[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner power misuse?

OCSqueeze

I hope this makes sense:

Owner A (the league commissioner) and Owner B are playing each other. Owner B is not sure if his #1 TE is starting so leaves the position open (there are 2 TEs on his roster). On Sunday, Owner B is unable to get access to a computer, so Owner A uses "his commish powers" to plug in the #2 TE for Owner A prior to the 4pm kickoff.

At this point the #1 TE had indeed played during the 1pm games.

Granted, Owner A won the game by a large margin, is it fair for a commissioner to use his powers in this situation. Isn't it the responsibility of each owner to set the lineup based on league rules regardless of the circumstances? What if Owner B asked him to do it? Isn't that placing the interests of a single owner over that of the league?

Had Owner B played his #1 TE, it would not have changed the outcome of the matchup.

BTW, the commissioner changed the trade deadlines a couple of weeks ago without offering a league vote. 2 or 3 owners felt that it was ok (via the league message board), but no formal league vote was offered by the commissioner. There's not a lot of communication between owners and the league.

I hope this makes sense:

Owner A (the league commissioner) and Owner B are playing each other. Owner B is not sure if his #1 TE is starting so leaves the position open (there are 2 TEs on his roster).  On Sunday, Owner B is unable to get access to a computer, so Owner A  uses "his commish powers" to plug in the #2 TE for Owner A prior to the 4pm kickoff.

Granted, Owner A won the game by a large margin, is it fair for a commissioner to use his powers in this situation.  Isn't it the responsibility of each owner to set the lineup based on league rules regardless of the circumstances?  What if Owner B asked him to do it?  Isn't that placing the interests of a single owner over that of the league? 

Had Owner B played his #1 TE, it would not have changed the outcome of the matchup.

BTW, the commissioner changed the trade deadlines a couple of weeks ago without offering a league vote.  2 or 3 owners felt that it was ok (via the league message board), but no formal league vote was offered by the commissioner.  There's not a lot of communication between owners and the league.

1182275[/snapback]

If Team B asked the commish to put the guy in for him, no big deal. Using commish powers without consent is a no-no.

If it's not an issue in terms of win/loss, it's not a big deal... although it does set precedence for future weeks/seasons.

Are you in Orange County, CA? :D

The TE issue doesn't bother me. If the owner doesn't have access to a computer he must at least have access to a phone. If he doesn't have access to either then he should be sure to list his starter prior to leaving. Leaving a position up in the air without any way to update his roster is poor management.

Extending the trade deadline without a vote bothers me a bit more. What do your league rules say about implementing rule changes? Does the commish have absolute power or is the league supposed to vote. If the league is supposed to vote then the commish is out of line.

I hope this makes sense:

Owner A (the league commissioner) and Owner B are playing each other. Owner B is not sure if his #1 TE is starting so leaves the position open (there are 2 TEs on his roster).  On Sunday, Owner B is unable to get access to a computer, so Owner A  uses "his commish powers" to plug in the #2 TE for Owner A prior to the 4pm kickoff.

Granted, Owner A won the game by a large margin, is it fair for a commissioner to use his powers in this situation.  Isn't it the responsibility of each owner to set the lineup based on league rules regardless of the circumstances?  What if Owner B asked him to do it?  Isn't that placing the interests of a single owner over that of the league? 

BTW, the commissioner changed the trade deadlines a couple of weeks ago without offering a league vote.  2 or 3 owners felt that it was ok (via the league message board), but no formal league vote was offered by the commissioner.  There's not a lot of communication between owners and the league.

1182275[/snapback]

Your commissioner sucks. If this league is for money, that #1 rule should always be NO rule changes during the season.

I sent the commish an email voicing my concern. Apparently the other owner asked him to insert the TE for the 4pm game. Since the two were playing each other, the commish felt that it was OK. Says he would not do it in any other circumstances.

As for the trade deadline...it's all moot considering that this league has very little structure or participation by the owners. It's a young league (only two years old) and the commish is new at managing a league. The league rules are few. The commish did scoring, draft order, schedule and trade voting...thats about it. Kind of free for all. I plan on giving the league some pointers on structure and rules based on my old school league. Joining this league was more for fun than for the money...hell, I'm in 1st by 2 games and have a good chance at the championship appearance, so i'll probably take home some $$.

Thanks for the input.