[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matchups vs Studs

Ditka Doom

I know the golden rule has always been always start your studs and never bench your studs. However, last week I was tempted to start Lamont Jordan over Alexander and I didn't because of the golden rule. Lamont had a more favorable matchup @ Mia where he scored 25 pts compared to SA scoring 12 pts vs NYG. I luckily won, although 13 points could have been a deciding factor in winning. When should you play the more favorable matchup if ever?

I guess it depends on the Stud and the matchup. For instance I would bench a guy like Brady for Warner this week due to matchup. Some matchups are too good to not pay attention to. Some guys you just can't bench such as S. Smith even though he has a tough matchup. He'll face D'Angelo Hall who has only allowed 1 TD all year and that was a fluke play to Roy W. on Thanksgiving. He's a lock down CB, but you stilll can't afford to bench him. But you can affford to bench a guy like Horn in favor of a good matchup like Coles has this week. I know Horn may not fit the stud catagory this year as he has in years past, but I think you get my point.

Did you have anyone specific in mind?

I wouldn't bench Jordan in this case, or Johnson, for Portis. This is a tricky and a hunch, but I am thinking that WAS will try to stop the run and force Fitz to pass. If Fitz has the same success he had last week, then Washington will be forced to play keep up and Brunell will have to pass more. Portis isn't as involved in their passing game as Jordan is in his.

even if Jordan is limited on the ground, wehich I think he will be, he will still be heavily involved in the passing game. I think LJ will be good for 100 combined and a score. He gets all the GL carries and is capable of breaking a long one off the screen pass.

If you think Portis can total 100 with a score, then maybe you start him, but I believe the safer play this week is Jordan. San Diego is good against the run but not so much against the pass. Look for Oakland to exploit that weakness this week.