[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Mets Moves so far.

Bree22

Guest Cherni
Great pickup, by the way.  Sanchez is gonna be a solid contributor in your pen.  I am not big on Seo, but who cares, I'm no Dodger fan.

1249969[/snapback]

Yeah, Sanchez was the key for the Mets. Who knows about Seo. I wasn't buying what he was Seoing anyway.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy I work with is a die hard METS fan and all he talks about is baseball and the METS. I will say here as I have told him the Braves have owned that division for years and years and will continue to do so. The METS are throwing money to try and win it and all they will come up with is at best 3rd or 4th place if not last as always. This is coming from a REDS fan who knows how much his team sucks and expects nothing more then 4th place but then again our payroll is still only 60mil compared to the METS. Enjoy another season of medocracy METS fans, don't want to burst any bubbles just trying to be realistic.

A guy I work with is a die hard METS fan and all he talks about is baseball and the METS. I will say here as I have told him the Braves have owned that division for years and years and will continue to do so. The METS are throwing money to try and win it and all they will come up with is at best 3rd or 4th place if not last as always. This is coming from a REDS fan who knows how much his team sucks and expects nothing more then 4th place but then again our payroll is still only 60mil compared to the METS. Enjoy another season of medocracy METS fans, don't want to burst any bubbles just trying to be realistic.

1259914[/snapback]

You're right, the Braves have owned the NL East for a very, very, long time. The Braves though are getting older every year. They lost Furcal who has been their sparkplug for a long time. Smoltzy, the Jones' are one year older. Their time has come. They will not win the East this year. As far as comparing the Mets to the Reds, keep dreaming. Just because you're content with mediacracy doesn't mean we will be. Don't forget we were in the Series a few years back.

The Reds have nothing to look forward to. Your superstar (Griffey) is an over the hill OF whose best years are long behind him, and he WILL get injured again this year. Wily Mo showed that he's not an everyday player, Austin Kearns just stopped developing.

Your BEST starter is Aaron Harang, a guy that has a career ERA of around 5!!! I won't even go down the rest of your starting pitching, it's just not worth it. Your best relief pitcher is Fat Dave Weathers. You have no closer, you're going committee and there's no setup man to speak of. I liked Lopez, but let's see what he does this year.

You're manager is Jerry Narron!!! You have coaches fired by the Mets in Chambliss and Ruhle, who both sucked it up while in NY.

Not for nothing man but you can't compare your so called baseball team to the Mets. I know you're trying to be realistic while trying to jab at us Mets fans, but buddy, it ain't gonna work. There's not a single position where the Reds have an advantage over the Mets with the exception of Griffey. Of course Griffey has to stay on the field, which he never can do, with the exception of last year. Sorry T-Bone, nice try. Thank you, come again.

Edited by Cherni

You're right, the Braves have owned the NL East for a very, very, long time. The Braves though are getting older every year. They lost Furcal who has been their sparkplug for a long time. Smoltzy, the Jones' are one year older. Their time has come. They will not win the East this year. As far as comparing the Mets to the Reds, keep dreaming. Just because you're content with mediacracy doesn't mean we will be. Don't forget we were in the Series a few years back.

The Reds have nothing to look forward to. Your superstar (Griffey) is an over the hill OF whose best years are long behind him, and he WILL get injured again this year. Wily Mo showed that he's not an everyday player, Austin Kearns just stopped developing.

Your BEST starter is Aaron Harang, a guy that has a career ERA of around 5!!! I won't even go down the rest of your starting pitching, it's just not worth it. Your best relief pitcher is Fat Dave Weathers. You have no closer, you're going committee and there's no setup man to speak of. I liked Lopez, but let's see what he does this year.

You're manager is Jerry Narron!!! You have coaches fired by the Mets in Chambliss and Ruhle, who both sucked it up while in NY.

Not for nothing man but you can't compare your so called baseball team to the Mets. I know you're trying to be realistic while trying to jab at us Mets fans, but buddy, it ain't gonna work. There's not a single position where the Reds have an advantage over the Mets with the exception of Griffey. Of course Griffey has to stay on the field, which he never can do, with the exception of last year. Sorry T-Bone, nice try. Thank you, come again.

1260473[/snapback]

sorry if you took my post personally I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? but I am not comparing my sorry Reds to your METs. Just stating the fact that I am a REDS fan. Believe me I know how bad our pitching is and has been for many years, I just don't set unrealistic outlooks for my team. And wasn't it the METS that picked up a washed up Danny Graves after the Reds released him? We also have a new first baseman named Adam Dunn, ever heard of him?

sorry if you took my post personally I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? but I am not comparing my sorry Reds to your METs. Just stating the fact that I am a REDS fan. Believe me I know how bad our pitching is and has been for many years, I just don't set unrealistic outlooks for my team. And wasn't it the METS that picked up a washed up Danny Graves after the Reds released him? We also have a new first baseman named Adam Dunn, ever heard of him?

1261452[/snapback]

No one is setting unrealistic expectations for this squad. You have to understand that in NY, losing is unacceptable for many reasons. The Mets have this team on the other side of the town called The Yankees. If the Mets want to keep their heads above water, they must put a product on the field every year. In Cincinati this is not the case.

Of course I know Adam Dunn, he was my fantasy 1B last year. The Mets are built to win NOW, and I would rather be rolling with perennial all star (30+ HR) Delgado than perennial strikeout leader Adam Dunn. He's good don't get me wrong, but he certainly isn't great. Put him in any "normal" stadium and he's an average player at best. 26 HR at home last year, 14 away. He's struck out 126, 195, 168 in the past 3 seasons. Stop playing yourself.

1261452[/snapback]

PS... I didn't take it personally Tbone. I'm just sick of everyone tooling on the Mets without even knowing who is on the team. You look over the depth chart and get back to me. This team is anything but mediocre.

PS... I didn't take it personally Tbone. I'm just sick of everyone tooling on the Mets without even knowing who is on the team. You look over the depth chart and get back to me. This team is anything but mediocre.

1261600[/snapback]

I know the METS roster, I know they are loaded with plenty of big names. How well did Beltran do last year? How well did Vaughn do when you picked him up? Injuries are a part of the game, believe me I know having JR and Kearns in the same outfield. I will say the team on paper is more then mediocre but lets see what happens when the season is over.

We can place a sig bet on whether or not the METS win the division if you'd like. Let me know if you are interested.

I know the METS roster, I know they are loaded with plenty of big names. How well did Beltran do last year? How well did Vaughn do when you picked him up? Injuries are a part of the game, believe me I know having JR and Kearns in the same outfield. I will say the team on paper is more then mediocre but lets see what happens when the season is over.

We can place a sig bet on whether or not the METS win the division if you'd like. Let me know if you are interested.

1261763[/snapback]

I'll make a sig bet, but why would I bet you that the Mets are going to win the division? Against what? What are you putting up? The Reds winning the division? I'll take that bet. LOL. Beltran was hurt all year and Mo Vaughn was just an awful move, and we all knew it. The Mets bullpen is where it's at. That's what has been holding this team back for a few years. We now have Bradford and Duaner Sanchez setting up Wagner. The Mets closers last year blew over a dozen games for us. We had over 12 BS, which equates to 8 more wins we should have this year if Wagner does what he normally does.

I'll make a sig bet, but why would I bet you that the Mets are going to win the division? Against what? What are you putting up? The Reds winning the division? I'll take that bet. LOL. Beltran was hurt all year and Mo Vaughn was just an awful move, and we all knew it. The Mets bullpen is where it's at. That's what has been holding this team back for a few years. We now have Bradford and Duaner Sanchez setting up Wagner. The Mets closers last year blew over a dozen games for us. We had over 12 BS, which equates to 8 more wins we should have this year if Wagner does what he normally does.

1261961[/snapback]

You have stated here in this thread that the Mets will win the division, I say they won't win it. I say the Braves still finish higher in the division then the Mets even after losing Furcal.

Edited by T_bone65

I don't think we gave up too much for Delgado. Mike Jacobs looked good for an abbreviated call-up, but pitchers WILL figure him out. Shoot, I have him figured out, don't give him anything to hit low and away. He'll be nothing more than an average 1B. The one pitching prospect we gave away might be good, but we got Delgado, screw the prospect.

It looks like Benson has thrown his last game as a Met, he'll be gone by Jan 1st. The Mets look awesome right now, all we need is some middle relief, I heard Affeldt and McDougal from the Royals for... I forget, but it fell through. Mets will win the East this year. You heard it here first.

1202246[/snapback]

Just in case you forgot that you said this earlier :D

You have stated here in this thread that the Mets will win the division, I say they won't win it. I say the Braves still finish higher in the division then the Mets even after losing Furcal.

1261977[/snapback]

Ok well that doesn't work for me. That means I win if the Mets finish 1st, and you win if they finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th? I'm a gambling man, but I won't take those odds, I'm no sucker. You gotta do better than that Tbone.

Ok well that doesn't work for me. That means I win if the Mets finish 1st, and you win if they finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th? I'm a gambling man, but I won't take those odds, I'm no sucker. You gotta do better than that Tbone.

1262013[/snapback]

You asked me what I was going to put up and I said that the Braves would finish higher then the Mets. I don't really like the Braves either but they will finish better then the Mets will. Is that a deal?

I am not trying to bust your balls or anything with these threads, I hope you realize that. Just having some good natured baseball talk before the season starts, and since the season is soooooooo long it gives me something to look forward to.

You asked me what I was going to put up and I said that the Braves would finish higher then the Mets. I don't really like the Braves either but they will finish better then the Mets will. Is that a deal?

I am not trying to bust your balls or anything with these threads, I hope you realize that. Just having some good natured baseball talk before the season starts, and since the season is soooooooo long it gives me something to look forward to.

1262032[/snapback]

I can't wait for the season. We're having a civilized discussion :D I'll have to think about the wager, I would think the Reds would have to be involved somehow?

I can't wait for the season. We're having a civilized discussion :D I'll have to think about the wager, I would think the Reds would have to be involved somehow?

1262042[/snapback]

They only way I will include the Reds is if they finish in any place other then last :D

They only way I will include the Reds is if they finish in any place other then last :D

1262047[/snapback]

ROFL! We can figure something out.

Sounds good to me

1263327[/snapback]

CINCINNATI -- Reliever David Weathers hurt a finger on his pitching hand, but the Cincinnati Reds expect him to be ready for spring training.

Weathers tore a tendon in his right index finger while working out Monday at his home, the club said Wednesday. He will wear a splint for three weeks, and the Reds think the injury will heal by the time pitchers and catchers report Feb. 16.

He became the Reds' primary closer after they got rid of Danny Graves last May. He led the team with a career-high 15 saves in 19 chances, going 7-4 with a 3.94 ERA in 73 games.

CINCINNATI -- Reliever David Weathers hurt a finger on his pitching hand, but the Cincinnati Reds expect him to be ready for spring training.

Weathers tore a tendon in his right index finger while working out Monday at his home, the club said Wednesday. He will wear a splint for three weeks, and the Reds think the injury will heal by the time pitchers and catchers report Feb. 16.

He became the Reds' primary closer after they got rid of Danny Graves last May. He led the team with a career-high 15 saves in 19 chances, going 7-4 with a 3.94 ERA in 73 games.

1276529[/snapback]

I saw that today as well, JR will be the headline soon and then Kearns and Pena shortly thereafter......such is the life of a REDS fan :doah:

I saw that today as well, JR will be the headline soon and then Kearns and Pena shortly thereafter......such is the life of a REDS fan :doah:

1276711[/snapback]

I just don't like Weathers. He'll bounce back though.

Evidently the much rumored trade of Kris Benson for Jorge Julio has finally taken place.

Orioles deal reliever, prospect, in exchange for Benson

Orioles deal reliever, prospect, in exchange for Benson

Right-hander Kris Benson was traded by the New York Mets to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for relief pitcher Jorge Julio and a prospect, MLB.com reported Saturday.

Benson was such a subject of past trade rumors that his wife, model Anna Benson, became critical of the Mets and one of the team's offseason acquisitions, Carlos Delgado.

Anna Benson sounded off on the Mets for attempting to trade the right-hander in part because of her negotiations to pose nude for Playboy, according to a report on the New York Daily News' Web site in December.

"We would never, ever have signed with New York if they had said they were going to trade us," Anna Benson told the paper at the time. "I was Miss [Politically Correct] for the Mets the entire time I was there.

"I have no deal with Playboy," she added.

Before the 2005 season began, the Mets signed Kris Benson to a three-year, $22.5 million deal after acquiring him from the Pirates in July 2004.

Last season, Benson was 10-8 with a 4.13 earned-run average in 174 1/3 innings pitched. Julio made 67 appearances in 2005 for Baltimore, with a 5.90 ERA in 71 2/3 innings.

I know that the Mets need bullpen help, but I don't particularly like this deal. It seems to me that a decent, promising, young starter should be worth more than an underachieving reliever. They probably saved some cash in the deal, but still. I have always thought Omar Minaya a shrewd GM, but in my opinion he has now made several extremely questionable moves this offseason.

First, he traded Mike Cameron for Xavier Nady. Many teams needed a CF, and a guy like Cameron should have been worth more than a mediocre bench player like Nady. San Diego also had a surplus of good relievers that they have shown they were willing to move - for example, they have since traded away Akinori Otsuka - why didn't the Mets try to fill a need like middle relief by dealing away Cameron instead of settling for a glorified utility player?

Then he signed the 47-year old Julio Franco to a 2-year contract. I can't say anything bad about the way Franco has hit the past two years, it's amazing that he has been as solidly productive as he has at his age, but I think that is precisely the point. A guy that old can completely fall apart at any point, and in fact it's amazing that it hasn't happened yet...why push the envelope for a bench player that at this stage of his career offers absolutely no upside whatsoever?

And now he deals a solid starting pitcher with some upside for a middling reliever. I think Julio has a great arm and some upside, but he's been highly erratic and the Orioles have been trying to move him for the past couple of seasons. Benson was very solid last year (especially up until the last month or so of the season when he wore down), and again, it just seems like they should have been able to bring back more in return than a guy that the other team has been openly shopping for quite some time.

I should note that I think Minaya has made some good moves too...acquiring Delgado without moving Lastings Milledge in the process was solid, and acquiring Billy Wagner was nice as well. But overall, if I were a Mets fan (I am not), I would be questioning exactly what Minaya's plan was at this point. There is almost no question that he has now traded away a couple of fairly desirable trade pieces for below market value. Now if his plan was to unload Cameron and Benson's salaries so that he could swing a trade for Manny Ramirez, then I will take back what I have said, but I just don't think that's the case. :D

i like the move, you said the mets traded "a solid starting pitcher with some upside for a middling reliever" Kris Benson has never lived up to his expectations, he has a career record of sub .500, not worth the money he is getting. i put him and lugo in the same category as far a s skill goes...just giving the mets more help where needed since he is a reliever. not to mention blaine, the other arm they got in the deal is a nice prospect. the mets have plenty of talent for the fith spot on thier rotation.

i like the move, you said the mets traded "a solid starting pitcher with some upside for a middling reliever" Kris Benson has never lived up to his expectations, he has a career record of sub .500, not worth the money he is getting. i put him and lugo in the same category as far a s skill goes...just giving the mets more help where needed since he is a reliever. not to mention blaine, the other arm they got in the deal is a nice prospect. the mets have plenty of talent for the fith spot on thier rotation.

1281732[/snapback]

The fact that Maine was included in the deal wasn't initially reported when I made my post yesterday. I guess it makes the deal slightly better from the Mets side, but not much...Maine's not a too highly regarded prospect.

As far as Benson goes, believe me, I'm not trying to argue that he has been a Cy Young candidate or anything. But just because he never lived up to the expectation of being the #1 draft pick in the country doesn't mean that he wasn't a solid starting pitcher, nor that he doesn't still have the upside to improve. I agree with you, he probably isn't worth the money that he has coming to him, but remember that it was Minaya and the Mets who gave him that contract just last year, and the fact is, he was easily their second best starter for the majority of last season.

His career record is indeed sub-.500, but it was over .500 in his time with the Mets (14-12), and lets not overlook that his record is reflective of the fact that he has played on bad teams throughout his career. He was 43-50 in his career with the Pirates (.462 winning percentage), while the Pirates were 366-441 overall over that same time (.453 winning percentage). And he had a .538 winning percentage with the Mets, while the team had a .475 overall winning percentage during that time, so actually, he has been a "plus" pitcher on both teams, relative to their overall records.

As far as Julio, he's been nothing short of awful for the past three seasons. Over that time, he has a 4.98 ERA and a 1.44 WHIP. Those numbers aren't good, but when you consider that he is a late reliever, they're just atrocious. He's still young and talented enough to turn his career around, but he's also old enough to start having doubts that he will. I think that the move to the NL and to Shea (and just as importantly away from Camden Yards and the AL East) can only help him, but as I have said, the Orioles have been looking to dump him for quite some time - if the Mets really wanted him, I'm thinking that they should have been able to get him more cheaply, or at least been able to get a little more in return for Benson who was coming off of two statistically solid years...quality starting pitching is tough to come by.

i like the move provided Heilman moves up into the starting rotation and produces

1281736[/snapback]

While I agree with you that Heilman should do fine as a starter, I still find it difficult to agree with the Mets' philosophy, which appears to be that because they have a surplus of relative quality at a given position (as they did at CF with Beltran and Cameron and with all their SPs), that they need to trade away that surplus without worrying about getting quality back in return. If you truly feel differently, I can respect that, but I would find it very hard to get excited about guys like Xavier Nady and Jorge Julio.

Edited by Skrappy1

The Mets suck, always have and always will. Unless we get new ownership, they will continue to put enough asses in the seats of that f'in shuckshole to make $$. I saw big Mo Vaughn @ Scores the other night, he still has 3 years left on his deal :D Bobby V still is collecting checks :D The clump of dirt I STILL have from 86 is prolly older than you, but it is still nice to hear your glass is still half full..............

The Mets suck, always have and always will. Unless we get new ownership, they will continue to put enough asses in the seats of that f'in shuckshole to make $$. I saw big Mo Vaughn @ Scores the other night, he still has 3 years left on his deal  :D  Bobby V still is collecting checks  :D The clump of dirt I STILL have from 86 is prolly older than you, but it is still nice to hear your glass is still half full..............

1282043[/snapback]

i dont think its directly the ownership...trying to compete with big brother is whats driving the mediocrity in queens