[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner Dilema

greenlight33

What are the odds that there would be a tie. I did not put it in writing this year when passing out the rules. In past years, at ties were decided by bench points. We have done it this way for years. This year we have a new team and of course this team was the one that lost in the tie breaker so he is not too happy. As a commission, how would you handle this oversight. Once again, these have been the rules for 5 years and the one year that I did not write this rule down it actually comes up.....

What are other methods of tie breakers in the playoffs that other team use?

We are addressing this right now as we do not have one either written down or be default based on prior year(s) rules.

I would say in this case, let it stand. It is one of those weird things that only comes up if it happens, which isn't too often.

If everyone else knew about it, and only this newbie didn't, then lesson learned, but stick with it.

We've had the same 10 guys for 8 years now and the same 12 for 4 years, so we have a lot of "unwritten rules" that each of us knows about, but we don't actaully have written down.

Not sure this guys would have managed his team diff. if he knew, and the fact that he didn't ask about it going in, IMO, proves that most people don't think about it until it happens.

Let the ruling stand and if he doesn't like it, let him find a new league. You have cashed his check, right?

What are the odds that there would be a tie. I did not put it in writing this year when passing out the rules. In past years, at ties were decided by bench points. We have done it this way for years. This year we have a new team and of course this team was the one that lost in the tie breaker so he is not too happy. As a commission, how would you handle this oversight. Once again, these have been the rules for 5 years and the one year that I did not write this rule down it actually comes up.....

What are other methods of tie breakers in the playoffs that other team use?

1212224[/snapback]

Fact of the matter is you either trust that your commissioner is playing straight, or you do not. If you do not, find another league. You will never be able to verify with 100% accuracy, that the commissioner is playing straight. At some point you have to assume. The newbie needs to either except your decision that that is the rule, and has been for 5 years, or he needs to join another league next year. As a commissioner you promise to treat everyone in the league the same and to be fair, everything else is secondary. Anyway, bench points as a tie breaker in the playoffs is a very common standard. It is not like the rule you forgot to tell him about is that the tie breaker is longest pass reception by a tight-end or something bizarre. There has to be a way to resolve ties in the playoffs, if he was really going to change his decisions based on that rule, he would have asked what the rule was in the beginning.

I play in a league with a $200 fee, and $30 transaction charge. By the end of the year, $4 or $5K is involved. I have been in the league 5 years, and I have never seen one rule in writing. I trust the commissioner, and that is that.

What are the odds that there would be a tie. I did not put it in writing this year when passing out the rules......What are other methods of tie breakers in the playoffs that other team use?

1212224[/snapback]

Hindsight is 20/20, but this should always be addressed in the rules irregardless of whether your scoring system does partial or whole points. :D

This year, my league is following the TD points scored as the tiebreaker (TD's = 4, rush/receiving = 6pts). After that it goes to the home team, which in the playoffs means the higher seed. Kind of a reward for the regular season.

First, going to decimal scoring helps tremendously. Award .1 per yard instead of 1 point per 10 yards ... etc.

Second, you HAVE to set the rules BEFORE the season or no matter what you do somebody will be ticked off. Overlooking how to handle ties is a huge over sight on your part, you certainly dropped the ball there. Water under the bridge though.

There are a variety of ways to break ties in playoff games. IMO one of the worst ways is the use of bench points. Rewarding an owner for leaving points on the bench is just not kosher.

One way we do it is by eliminating the kicker from both teams ... then the team with the most points wins. Another way is to break the tie by TDs scored, the team with the most TDs scored wins. Another way we do it is a position by position comparison. The team with the highest scoring QB gets 1 point, the team with the highest scoring RB gets 1 point, the team with the highest scoring WR gets 1 point, the team with the highest scoring TE gets 1 point, the team with the highest scoring PK gets 1 point, the team with the highest scoring DF gets 1 point ... then the team with the most high position points wins.