[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Johnny Damon

Mr. Pennypacker

everybody forget that the sox spent their first 1st rounder in june on jacoby ellsbury....who is basically a johnny damon clone

the kid stole 23 bases in 35 games in class A lowell...hit 317 also....give the guy a full year next year in the minors...hell probably be ready for the big leagues in a year

heres a little info on him

Born: September 11, 1983

Madras, OR

Height: 6-1

Weight: 190

Bats: Left

Throws: Left

Drafted: 1st round, 2005

How Acquired: Draft

College: Oregon State

High School: Madras (OR)

ETA: mid-2007 Scouting Report: Ellsbury was on of the best players in the NCAA in 2005.  He is very fast, plays excellent defense, and has shown a great ability to get on base. Decent gap power for a centerfielder who projects as a lead-off hitter. Has often been compared to Johnny Damon. Also said to be a team leader.

News Archive

Red Sox Nation - Ellsbury Interview

Awards

Red Sox Minor League Base Stealer of the Month (Jul. 2005)

whats the point of overpaying for johnny, when they drafted this kid with johnny in mind

1230252[/snapback]

Wow... I didn't know all this...

Cool.

i dunno whats so funny

the sox laid down what theyd pay..just like they did with pedro...u dont want it...walk....we aint compromising our financial philosophy for anyone...and the front office doesnt fear in and cave for any feared backlash by the fans...4x10 is what johnny was worth to us....

we arent the yankees...we cant spend 200 plus mil and still lose money!...we cant cheat the luxury tax by charging the yes network 50 mil for the tv right, whent he contract is worth at least 3 times that

1230322[/snapback]

Now the Red Sox have pulled a fast one on the Yankees. They signed one of the greatest Yankees of all time......John Flaherty!! I guess they're even now. :D

Now the Red Sox have pulled a fast one on the Yankees.  They signed one of the greatest Yankees of all time......John Flaherty!!  I guess they're even now. :D

1234366[/snapback]

650K for a backup catcher. We really put our necks out on that deal... :D

everybody forget that the sox spent their first 1st rounder in june on jacoby ellsbury....who is basically a johnny damon clone

the kid stole 23 bases in 35 games in class A lowell...hit 317 also....give the guy a full year next year in the minors...hell probably be ready for the big leagues in a year

heres a little info on him

Born: September 11, 1983

Madras, OR

Height: 6-1

Weight: 190

Bats: Left

Throws: Left

Drafted: 1st round, 2005

How Acquired: Draft

College: Oregon State

High School: Madras (OR)

ETA: mid-2007 Scouting Report: Ellsbury was on of the best players in the NCAA in 2005.  He is very fast, plays excellent defense, and has shown a great ability to get on base. Decent gap power for a centerfielder who projects as a lead-off hitter. Has often been compared to Johnny Damon. Also said to be a team leader.

News Archive

Red Sox Nation - Ellsbury Interview

Awards

Red Sox Minor League Base Stealer of the Month (Jul. 2005)

whats the point of overpaying for johnny, when they drafted this kid with johnny in mind

1230252[/snapback]

If he's class A, he won't be realistically ready for at least 2, if not 3 seasons. Don't get your hopes up that he'll be playing for the MLB team even in 2007.

He'll be lucky to be on the September call up this year. Baseball talent is notoriously slow to develop. Very few go from draft to the top inside 3 years.

If he's class A, he won't be realistically ready for at least 2, if not 3 seasons. Don't get your hopes up that he'll be playing for the MLB team even in 2007.

He'll be lucky to be on the September call up this year. Baseball talent is notoriously slow to develop. Very few go from draft to the top inside 3 years.

1235686[/snapback]

nah i agree pope...im not getting my hopes about him starting in center this year...im just saying that i think that last june when the sox drafted this kid, they had a good idea that johnny damon might not be in boston in 06

and i agree that baseball talent is brought along slower than any other major sport...but these days more and more, you are seeing kids that played 4 years of college baseball and graduated, get to the big leagues quicker than they had in previous years

the sox had two first rounders in june...ellsbury and craig hansen...hansen was definitley considered the more major league ready player(baseball america said he was the most major league ready player available in the draft...and was considered a top 5 pick...but his signability was questioned with boras reprsenting him, and scared teams off)

hansen signed in july...and was with the red sox in september...now this isnt some september callup in kansas city...the sox were in a division race

Damon's overrated.  Yankee fans are going to be disappointed with his defense, especially because CF at the Stadium is deeper than at Fenway and he already couldn;t make a throw all the way back to the infield.

His shoulder has been crapping out more and more over the last 3 years.  Say Hello to Bernie Past His Prime II

1230892[/snapback]

Not sure I agree with that. Damon may not have the strongest arm in the league, but he still has good range and is one of the better leadoff hitters in the league.

I'm just amazed that the Yankees have done nothing about their lackluster pitching. Why would they choose to throw that money at Damon, rather than Burnett?

The Red Sox would be better off without Corey Patterson. He's worthless.

Not sure I agree with that.  Damon may not have the strongest arm in the league, but he still has good range and is one of the better leadoff hitters in the league.

I'm just amazed that the Yankees have done nothing about their lackluster pitching.  Why would they choose to throw that money at Damon, rather than Burnett?

The Red Sox would be better off without Corey Patterson.  He's worthless.

1237225[/snapback]

I am not claiming to agree with all of their moves.

I watch a ton of Red Sox games. I would guess that I saw in the vicinity of 100 last year, if not more. My wife is a hugh fan, so she always wants to watch. From what I have seen of Damon over the last few seasons, he is declining already. He has shown signs of wear late in the season each of the last 3 seasons, and this season in particular he showed quite a bit as the year progressed.

He has a bum shoulder. He played hard, but that seemed to have had a negative affect on his longevity.

The other thing is that people have to look at the dollars and the length of the contract. That is a lot of money that the yankees shelled out for a guy that might only have 2 good years left in him. I do not want my team being bogged down in bad contracts, and the contract Damon got is a bad one in my view.

Could Damon have helped the team succeed next season? Yes, but I think the longer term damage would have outweighed the short term positive.