[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Please explain NFL TV rules

hindukid

I'm in houston. As a Cowboys fan I'm rather miffed that the Cowboys panthers games is not on. Instead FOX will show eagles cardinals later. Is it an NFL rule that no game shall be shown when my local team is on. Or has my FOX affiliate decided that they would have more viewers for a lousy eagles game, than a huge cowboys game which is on against the texans. If so I think that's not the case at all. We are in Texas and even in Houston the Cowboys are popular. THis is a huge game for them. I'd be hugely surprised if FOX can pull out better ratings with the eagles game.

Secondly, sometime when it is a fox doubleheader we miss one of the games. When the Texans are on, sometimes they show no other game against it. Yet sometimes they do show an opposing game. So when does FOX not show the second game.

Is it an NFL rule that no game shall be shown when my local team is on.  Correct

Secondly, sometime when it is a fox doubleheader we miss one of the games.  When the Texans are on, sometimes they show no other game against it.  Yet sometimes they do show an opposing game.  So when does FOX not show the second game.You never get the "other" game when the hometown team is playing, When the game is away you may get both games at that time but not for home games

1235418[/snapback]

Edited by Zooty

I'm in houston.  As a Cowboys fan I'm rather miffed that the Cowboys panthers games is not on.  Instead FOX will show eagles cardinals later.  Is it an NFL rule that no game shall be shown when my local team is on.  Or has my FOX affiliate decided that they would have more viewers for a lousy eagles game, than a huge cowboys game which is on against the texans.  If so I think that's not the case at all.  We are in Texas and even in Houston the Cowboys are popular.  THis is a huge game for them.  I'd be hugely surprised if FOX can pull out better ratings with the eagles game.

Secondly, sometime when it is a fox doubleheader we miss one of the games.  When the Texans are on, sometimes they show no other game against it.  Yet sometimes they do show an opposing game.  So when does FOX not show the second game.

1235418[/snapback]

3 options:

1. The Texans are at home, but they didn't sell the game out, so the networks cannot show the Texans game, but they cannot also show a "potential competitor" to the Texans (Cowboys are too close to Houston and too well established and might draw away potential Texans fans

or 2. The NFL hates you!! :D:D

or 3. The NFL hates you, so they gave you the Texans to cheer for :D:D

Houston was away. OK so when the Texans are away, FOX can show a game against it, but if they are home, then it will be Texans with nothing else. I guess I get it. What's the point? If the games are sold out anyways, what difference does home/away make. Thanks for answering my question though.

3 options:

1. The Texans are at home, but they didn't sell the game out, so the networks cannot show the Texans game, but they cannot also show a "potential competitor" to the Texans (Cowboys are too close to Houston and too well established and might draw away potential Texans fans

or 2. The NFL hates you!!   :D  :D

or 3. The NFL hates you, so they gave you the Texans to cheer for  :D  :D

1235428[/snapback]

And when you pay $200+ for Sunday Ticket you are forced to watch local channels because you are blacked out otherwise. They don't let you click bewteen games. So much for personal choice. :D

Edited by Randall

Houston was away.  OK so when the Texans are away, FOX can show a game against it, but if they are home, then it will be Texans with nothing else.  I guess I get it.  What's the point?  If the games are sold out anyways, what difference does home/away make.  Thanks for answering my question though.

1235448[/snapback]

They still think there will be no-shows or unsold tickets if they show another game at that time. Not too long ago, if the home team network had the doubleheader, they were not allowed to show the other half of that. So they are slow in their thinking.

If the games are sold out anyways, what difference does home/away make. 

1235448[/snapback]

Its based on TV vs attendance. The logic is "the game was away so people can't go, therefor we will show another game too". If they game was home people may stay home to watch some other team on TV instead of going to the hometown's game.

Doesn't really make sense to me either

Its based on TV vs attendance.  The logic is "the game was away so people can't go, therefor we will show another game too".  If they game was home people may stay home to watch some other team on TV instead of going to the hometown's game.

Doesn't really make sense to me either

1235465[/snapback]

If the tickets were cheap I suppose I'd see it. How many people really think to themselves I'm gonna go drop $200 on tickets, but then when another game is on for free, rather than direct Ticket, this is enough to sway their decision. Makes no sense to me. How about all the lost viewers who would rather sit on thier computer and ignore football because all games on are meaningless.

If the tickets were cheap I suppose I'd see it.  How many people really think to themselves I'm gonna go drop $200 on tickets, but then when another game is on for free, rather than direct Ticket, this is enough to sway their decision.  Makes no sense to me.  How about all the lost viewers who would rather sit on thier computer and ignore football because all games on are meaningless.

1235474[/snapback]

I don't think you're missing much in the Cowboys game anyway