[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2006 Baseball HOF inductees

Skrappy1

Ok, this year's class isn't too strong, so it's not that surprising that there wasn't many inductees today. I am disappointed that Goose Gossage and Jim Rice didn't get in today though. They both deserved it, and with this year's class, this was probably their best chance.

I think that the whole of Gossage's career was better than Sutter's, so this does bother me a bit also. I do think that Sutter should be in, he basically invented the split-fingered fastball, but so should Goose. Sutter had 8 good years out of his 12-year career, while Gossage's 10-year run from 1975 to 1985 is about as good as any relief pitcher ever.

Edited by Skrappy1

Gossage's 10-year run from 1975 to 1985 is about as good as any relief pitcher ever.

1258113[/snapback]

I just added up all of the statistics. I removed 1976 from the equation since Goose was mostly a starter that year (started 29 games). The other 9 years of that 10-year run, Gossage's numbers were:

76 Wins - 54 Losses

253 Saves

974.6 Innings Pitched

923 Strikeouts

2.06 ERA

Pretty good 9-year stretch if you ask me. Definitely HOF worthy.

Sutter's best 9 years of his career was from 1976 to 1984, and his totals from those years were:

58 Wins - 60 Losses

260 Saves

890 Innings Pitched

753 Strikeouts

2.54 ERA

Again, I'm not trying to say that Sutter shouldn't be in. I absolutely think that he should, I just don't see how Gossage got left out again, yet Sutter made it. :D

Edited by Skrappy1

I agree again about Buck.

Not so sure about Goose. I think Lee Smith may have actually been better. Goose had a longer career but also played when saves where harder to get.

Rice is the one getting screwed he should be in and maybe Dawson too. Jayson Stark has some good analysis on espn.com about why for a couple guys.

Please tell me how Hall Morris got 10 and Gregg Jeffries got 2 votes????

I was watching Peter Gammons last night talking about Goose. He said he has a close friend that is a statistician by trade. This guy by crunching the numbers determined that Goose is the best closer in history. He didn't get very specific, but as far as I'm concerned what Peter Gammons says goes. I think he has some of the better ideas and insight concerning baseball.