[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers wish to sign Brees long term

Big Mac Bears

OK, 6 months go by. Brees has had his RIGHT shoulder surgery to correct his labrum tear. He has rehabbed and is now throwing. On track to start the season.

Doctors say he is 100% healthy and healed.

Do you want to pay a QUARTERBACK who throws with his RIGHT arm 8-10 millions dollars a year? and hope that arm holds up?

You couldn't make this decision as Chargers GM after he led you to the playoffs, what makes you think he'll make the decision after Brees rehabs for 6 months? Chargers will walk away if they are smart.

This isn't minor, or they wouldn't be operating and asking for 4-6 months before he even touches a football to throw it.

No way!!!

I wish him the best, but let someone else take that risk.

I also wouldn't sign a RB to a long term deal who has had a major knee injury.  Given the interest in Edge, I'm not alone.

1262618[/snapback]

Yeah, good point, Edge has been horrible since his knee injury. :D

There's wasn't much interest in Shaun Alexander last off-season either, and as far as I know, he has never had a major knee injury. The lack of interest in both of them had more to do with the abundance of quality, younger RBs, coming out of college than it did any injury history.

It's pretty clear that we don't see eye-to-eye here, and as I said, I'm not claiming that I know Brees will be back next year as good as ever. I just think that your insistance that there's no way he will, despite everyone who actually has first-hand knowledge of the situation saying that he should be, and then asserting that your opinion on this is because you are somehow "shrewder" than most (including Dr. James Andrews, the world's foremost authority on such matters) is a tad ridiculous.

Edited by Skrappy1

The San Diego Union-Tribune came out with an article today quoting A.J. Smith as saying, "Philip Rivers will be a San Diego Charger and will remain one. I just think it's very important he remains here, and he's under contract. He is not available for trade. He will be a Charger."

Well, DUH!!!! There's no way he'll trade his insurance policy for Drew's shoulder!!!! AND if he can't work out a deal with Brees, he's still got Rivers.

Another bit of first-rate reporting!  :D

1262590[/snapback]

Here's the article.

Skrapp,

your missing the point of the thread.

I would not sign a QB who had shoulder surgery to a long term deal. Paying him 8-10 million dollars a year, unless he had won me at least one playoff game for starters.

Brees will be healthy enough to play in 2006 by all accounts, I just don't think SD should be that team.

I'm not a doctor, but given the circumstances. I believe SD will be smart enough to manage their risk...which they have done incredibly well up until this point.

Drafted a QB...paying that QB even though he's backing up.

Kept Brees on one year contracts

waiting and seeing

For the most part, they have continued to win games.

They will not have that luxury this offseason, unless they transition tag him.

which appears to be the move, and they get an excuse to let him go if he gets a pretty solid long term offer.

Edited by mggoilers