[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Resting players

Grits and Shins

Indy got out-played on Sunday. Pittsburgh showed up ready to play from the very first play of the game and the defense was bringing the lumber. Kudos to the offense for learning from their first trip into Indy.

Not to take anything away from Pittsburgh (they were clearly the better team Sunday) but doesn't it lead one to wonder if resting players for just about 3 weeks did more harm than good. I'm thinking the Colts would have been better off either losing some games early in the season so that they were still in the position of having to play meaningful games the last couple weeks ... or if they hadn't lost a game. The Indy offense looked horrible ... out of sync ... you know like they hadn't played for a while :doah:

Again, I'm not taking anything away from Pittsburgh cause they went into Indy and punched the Colts in the mouth.

Indy got out-played on Sunday.  Pittsburgh showed up ready to play from the very first play of the game and the defense was bringing the lumber.  Kudos to the offense for learning from their first trip into Indy.

1268562[/snapback]

Sure it does. Both Pittsburgh and Carolina are peaking at the right time.

Underestimating the Steelers after the earlier clubbing is possible too.

Despite what squeegie says, I thought this was the week to play Indy for that very reason. You need game time to stay sharp.

And if he hadn't rested them, and Edge tore his ACL or Marvin broke his arm, everyone would be saying he is a moran and never should have played his starters with the #1 seed locked up.

1268647[/snapback]

I disagree .. you can't coach scared. It's like the prevent defense. Injuries are going to happen or they aren't ... they are just as likely to happen in practice but I don't hear anybody saying players shouldn't practice.

I'm a long time proponent of playing your players. Sounds kinda Herm Edwards-y there, but Indi's Offense started the season a little slow and took a few weeks before they exploded into the juggernaut. They were winnign games with their Defense up until then. To sit this unit down and let them rest also lets them gather rust.

I can't believe a team would do it despite what happened to Denver a few years agao, in a very similar situation. Now it's even more similar.

Injuries are going to happen or they aren't ...

1268668[/snapback]

I have to agree with this. You can just as easily get your knee sliced open driving down the road with your psychotic woman as you could get hurt in a game. Too much rest hurt the Colts.

That's a fine line to walk as a coach.

I think the case has been proven that resting your players for more than 1 game is not a good decision. Especially a team like Indy which runs a lot of timing routes, etc. Sure when your timing is not right you can beat teams like Houston and Tenn., etc., but you are not going to beat a team like Pittsburgh that way. You have to be firing on all cylinders to beat a team like that, no matter how talented you are.

I wonder if doing the "pre-season" approach would've worked for IND. Ya' know, in pre-season, the regulars usually play about 3 quarters in the 3rd week of pre-season, and rest in the 4th (last) week (playing around 1 quarter).

Taking this approach with IND at the end of the regular season, they would've played their starters heavy for 3-4 quarters in week 17. Then take the week off (playoff by in week 1), then come back in playoff week 2.

Again, like NSab indicated before -- very fine line for a coach to toe.