[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Offensive Coordinator for KC

Chief Dick

Local radio talk around here is that Mike Solari, currently the offensive line coach for KC, will be the new OC. I have no link: this is just what I heard today.

This is probably the best thing that could have happened for the Chiefs offensively, and for fantasy football purposes. He should basically run the same offense, since he has been with the Chiefs for a number of years. He is also known as one of the best offensive line coaches in the game, and his continued presence can hopefully nudge Will Shields back for another year.

I see Johnson's numbers to be similar or better, and I have a feeling Tony Gonzalez will see a spike in his production. Don't know why: just a gut feeling.

Now reported on kcchiefs.com.

Edited by Chief Dick

I think he gives them some room. I mean, he let Hackett call it conservatively in the past even though everyone wanted them to open up the vertical game. I don't know if Herm was in complete agreement with him, but Hackett took most of the heat.

Edited by budlitebrad

I think he gives them some room. I mean, he let Hackett call it conservatively in the past even though everyone wanted them to open up the vertical game. I don't know if Herm was in complete agreement with him, but Hackett took most of the heat.

1276599[/snapback]

Thanks. Important to know these things. :D

CD... you don't think Edwards is going to change things after the decision to promote Solari?

Anyone know how much authority Edwards gives to his Def and Off coords?

1276572[/snapback]

I don't think so. Remember, he had no emotional ties to Solari at all coming in as the new coach. And Edwards let a lot of guys go from Vermeils staff.

This tells me that Edwards wants to maintain the Chiefs offense at least for the next several years, and Solari knows it inside and out.

Solari will keep the basic framework of the offense, though I see Tony Gonzalez becoming more of an option.

Yes it does.

We need some "up and coming" young offensive linemen (I don't see any game changers there) ... we need a worthwhile backup QB (I don't see anyone ready to replicate 85% of what Trent Green can do) ... we need a back-up hard-nosed FB (should something happen to TRich, who is awesome) ... etc ...

The basic ethos is old. We need some new guys in case the old guys can't carry the load going forward (see LJ for PH).

Yes it does.

We need some "up and coming" young offensive linemen (I don't see any game changers there) ... we need a worthwhile backup QB (I don't see anyone ready to replicate 85% of what Trent Green can do) ... we need a back-up hard-nosed FB (should something happen to TRich, who is awesome) ... etc ...

The basic ethos is old.  We need some new guys in case the old guys can't carry the load going forward (see LJ for PH).

1276789[/snapback]

True, but you ideally would slot in like-for-like as much as possible. Replacing aging players with similar younger ones one at a time as opposed to ripping the whole thing apart and starting from scratch.