[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spending money on your team

MojoMan

Does how much $ you spend on your team correlate with how big a fan you are?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Does how much $ you spend on your team correlate with how big a fan you are?

• Yes, if you really care about your team, you open your wallet to the extent possible (since revenues help the team)
    • No, I'm cheap but I still consider myself part of the team
    • Other

What he said...except replace Niners for Steelers  :D

One thing I will add though, is where you are at when your team is down.  I got accused early in life of being a "front runner" Niner fan.  I wasn't one (its kind of a funny story how I became a Niner fan when I was like 3!!), but I can see how one could get that.  It was easy being a Niner fan growing up.

But I can honestly say I am just as die-hard now, as I was then (if not more, since I understand the game more).  That is part of being a "true" fan.  And there is part of me that is thankful for this downtime.  I will experience an excitement when we get over the hump that will be GREAT.  SB 23, 24, and 29 (the ones I have good memories of) were great, but I do believe the next one we get will be ten times greater than any of those, since we all have had to wait.

1289676[/snapback]

Amen to that.

I'll give a for instance.

Super Bowl 38 in Houston.  I made reservations about a year in advance at the Wyndham, for $100 a night.  My reservation got cancelled, I fought with the hotel for a month, and finally it was reinstated.

I have a family member that works for AA, so I flew to Dallas for like $100 RT, and rented a car to drive to Houston.  All told, after splitting hotel, car, etc. with a couple buddies, my trip cost $250.  :D

The Wyndham ended up being the team hotel of the Panthers.  :D

Which besides the $100 a night I was getting, hitting the jackpot of picking an NFL hotel was the other reason they didn't want to "hold" my reservation.

Ticket prices were high all week.  There were a million Pats fans down there, and nine out of ten people said "no I don't have tickets, the price will go down".  I put a limit of maybe $700 for a ticket, and wasn't going to go over it.  There were absolutely no tickets available.  We waited until kickoff at the will call to see if any were being released, and then raced to a bar.  Going to the host city, game or not, is a good time, and I would try to do it everytime my team is in it.  If you do some good planning, it can be done pretty cheaply.

Granted, I had only spent $250 for hotel/airfare/car up to this point, so I'm sure if I had spent $1500 on that stuff, I might have said "I've already spent $1500, I'm paying whatever it takes to get in that game".

1289693[/snapback]

That sounds like a good time Charty. No way I am I forking out the kind of money it takes to get Super Bowl tickets in the "age of E-Bay", but, one consideration was to go to Detroit and do similar to what you did. I opted to go to Pittsburgh instead, as, it is a much shorter drive, cheaper, and I think the celebration that will take place if they win will be just as great if not greater in Pittsburgh, as it will be in Detroit.

I am sad to report that, even should my Rams get into a Super Bowl, and I somehow got tickets, I would likely sell them to pay bills.

Just like Seahawks37 :doah:

Seriously though, with the amount such sporting events cost, there is definately a wealth gap.

Edited by cre8tiff

I go to at least 1 home game a year, have

several spamshirts/shirts/and a winter coat, among many other

little things. Cups, pennants, etc.

I'd say I support the team.

1289450[/snapback]

Personally, I find the guys who buy all the crap with their favorite team's logo emblazoned all over it, are generally the tools who don't know anything about the sport or their team. I have bought very little of my two team's 'stuff', and have received others things as gifts, and I KNOW I'm more knowledgable than the average loser with his jacket and cap and sweatshirt I see walking in the malls, etc.