[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you were to run for office...

Duchess Jack

2. Trade deficit and getting American products into more countries - would help keep more jobs at home

3. Slow down the imperialistic approach I see Dubya taking. If a county doesn't want to be democratic, I do not see it as our job to make them be. I think this attitude is one of the reasons smaller countries hate us so much (fosters terrorism against us IMO). We've got to stay out of other people's business sometimes.

1317702[/snapback]

the big flaw i see here is that, ultimately, 2 and 3 are at odds with each other. trade and power are inextricably linked in the modern world.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the big flaw i see here is that, ultimately, 2 and 3 are at odds with each other.  trade and power are inextricably linked in the modern world.

1317767[/snapback]

To an extent, I see what you mean - I guess the trade deficit could also be addressed by making foreign products more difficult to get into the country in the first place (ie tariffs). We can't get our products into a lot of places whereas they can get theirs in here very easily.

To an extent, I see what you mean - I guess the trade deficit could also be addressed by making foreign products more difficult to get into the country in the first place (ie tariffs). We can't get our products into a lot of places whereas they can get  theirs in here very easily.

1317783[/snapback]

If you do that, other countries will respond by putting tarriffs on our products, so all it means is that the governments of both countries get more revenue from the tarriffs, and the consumers in both countries pay more for foriegn goods. Breaking up the unions that have artificially raised the cost of labor in the US and possibly doing away with some regulations (lets face it some of the well intentioned regulations are just stupid) would do more to reduce the trade deficiet than just about anything else, with less impact to the consumers here.

If you do that, other countries will respond by putting tarriffs on our products, so all it means is that the governments of both countries get more revenue from the tarriffs, and the consumers in both countries pay more for foriegn goods.  Breaking up the unions that have artificially raised the cost of labor in the US and possibly doing away with some regulations (lets face it some of the well intentioned regulations are just stupid) would do more to reduce the trade deficiet than just about anything else, with less impact to the consumers here.

1317799[/snapback]

I'm all for breaking up unions. As far as the tariffs are concerned, it should be a level playing field. It should be as hard for other countries to do business here as it is us there, or conversely, as easy.

I'm all for breaking up unions. As far as the tariffs are concerned, it should be a level playing field. It should be as hard for other countries to do business here as it is us there, or conversely, as easy.

1317835[/snapback]

In one sense I agree with you however if you raise tarriffs you might make it as hard for others countries to sell ther goods here, they will turn around and raise their tarriffs making it harder for us to sell our goods there. Whie it might have an affect on the deficiet it would be a very small affect. However in doing so you will also hurt the consumers in both countries, and since we are now opperating at a deficiet you will be hurting our consumers more than theirs. Also the consumers you will be hurting the most will be the low income consumers.