[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tyrus Thomas going pro.

Puddy

Not a surprise given how high his stock rose during the tourney. He's the real deal.

LSU's Thomas, possible top-five pick, to turn proESPN.com news services

LSU freshman Tyrus Thomas will announce at a 4 p.m. ET news conference Monday that he intends to enter the NBA draft and will sign with an agent, ESPN Radio's Doug Gottlieb has learned.

Thomas has been informed by NBA officials that he is projected as a Top-five pick in the upcoming draft.

SEC player of the year Glen "Big Baby" Davis also will announce his future plans at the news conference.

Thomas, the Southeastern Conference freshman of the year, averaged 12.6 points and was dominant at the defensive end with his through-the-roof leaping ability.

After the Tigers' ouster from the Final Four against UCLA in the NCAA Tournament, Thomas sounded as if he intended to return for his sophomore season.

"Somebody had to lose, and I never thought it would be us," he said. "But there's an upside to this. We'll be in Atlanta next year [at the Final Four] -- and we'll win it."

The talent pool is super shallow this season.

Thomas is probably the top pick to Chicago (from the Knicks). Rudy Gay is probably the most polished player and would most likely get picked second by the Bobcats. Adam Morrison could land in Portland, to keep him close to home. A mock I saw had LaMarcus Aldridge going to Atlanta at 4, but that makes no sense with their glut of SF/PFs. I could see them trading down. Big Baby would probably last until the middle of the first, perhaps going to Houston.

The talent pool is super shallow this season. 

Thomas is probably the top pick to Chicago (from the Knicks).  Rudy Gay is probably the most polished player and would most likely get picked second by the Bobcats.  Adam Morrison could land in Portland, to keep him close to home.  A mock I saw had LaMarcus Aldridge going to Atlanta at 4, but that makes no sense with their glut of SF/PFs.  I could see them trading down.  Big Baby would probably last until the middle of the first, perhaps going to Houston.

1423690[/snapback]

Big Baby surprisingly will return to NCAA. Tyrus is capitalzing on a big NCAA tournament, I don't think any NBA teams knew who he was until the tournament (I'm exaggerating.....but he wasn't well known). I mean he can jump, block, but can he pass, shoot? A lot of unknowns. He seems like a Tyson Chandler type, and Tyson is finally starting to play well starting last year but he sucked for his first 2 years. Tyrus is not NBA ready at all, he'll have growing pains.

Big Baby surprisingly will return to NCAA. Tyrus is capitalzing on a big NCAA tournament, I don't think any NBA teams knew who he was until the tournament (I'm exaggerating.....but he wasn't well known).  I mean he can jump, block, but can he pass, shoot?  A lot of unknowns.  He seems like a Tyson Chandler type, and Tyson is finally starting to play well starting last year but he sucked for his first 2 years.  Tyrus is not NBA ready at all, he'll have growing pains.

1424756[/snapback]

Is Davis' return a sure thing? I haven't heard.

Honestly, your exaggeration isn't too far fetched. I'd like to think that I know my hoops inside and out, and I had no idea who Thomas was until the tournament started. I may have saw him play on ESPN (our very own SuperBalla sold Big Baby his "tights").

In any case, I don't think Thomas is a Tyson Chandler clone at all. Chandler was 7' tall when he was learning how to tie his shoes. He's always been a "big man". Thomas, in fact, had to sit out his first year due to - get this - growing pains. Different "growing pains" than you reference, however. He was actually in midst of a growing spurt when he arrived at LSU. He was a 6'5" swingman in high school.

If anything, he's more of a Hakim Warrick clone. Long and athletic, but perhaps a 'tweener.

He'll be drafted on upside alone. He can run the floor, block shots and actually has a semi-decent mid-range game.