[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lawn Tractor

spain

Lawn Tractor Reviews

1457759[/snapback]

This is the pos I bought from Wally World:

Yard-Man 13AN791G

(*est. $995)

Where to buy Budget tractor. If you're willing to take a chance on a lawn tractor made by MTD Inc.—a company about which many users post complaints—reviews recommend this 42-inch Yard-Man as a budget model. It has automatic transmission, a 17.5-hp engine, and can switch to mulching without changing blades. Reviews say it lacks some comforts, and doesn't mow quite evenly as more expensive models. It has a steel axle, which reviews say isn't as durable as the cast-iron axle's on other models. It does carry a two-year warranty

I have a Husqvarna rider with a 13 hp Kohler engine and a 42" deck. There are some thing I don't like about it (no drink holder), but it's design is pretty simple, I can work on it and it's built VERY solidly. Set you back a pretty penny though.

Ok. I load the Yardman that I purchased back in August into my pickup and haul it back down to Walmart. I didnt have the receipt for it but my credit card company had it listed all my purchases on their annual report of expenses to me. I go to the Lawn and Garden Dept and ask for the Manager. He isnt there so she calls one of the store managers who promptly comes down to the lawn mowers. I explained my situation and she said no problem. She asked for my receipt and I showed her my credit card annual report. She said that she could look up the receipt online if I would mind going to the front of the store with her. She was very very nice, and found the receipt in about 2 seconds. She promptly had my money refunded to my Master Card, no questions asked. I love Walmart! They take care of their customers and if any of their vendors sell crap, they make them take it back! Two thumbs up to Wally World!!

Now, I need to get another mower. What is the basic difference between the regular lawn tractor and those zero turn jobs other than the obvious?

Now, I need to get another mower.  What is the basic difference between the regular lawn tractor and those zero turn jobs other than the obvious?

1459136[/snapback]

Speed. Traditional lawn tractors are slllooooowwwww. Now, if you use them for something else (one can buy a snowblower attachment here in MI), you may be stuck. However, if you're only mowing your lawn, either a zero-turn rider or a walk-behind would be your best bet, IMO.

As others have suggested, if you're truely interested in buying quality and never having to dink with this again, buy a commercial mower. I personally like Scags, and CaptainHook is an X-mark guy. My dad uses Dixie Choppers, and they seem to be okay, too. No matter what, you'll be fine with a commercial mower, becuase they're built to withstand being beaten on for hours a day by lawn monkeys. If you spend the up front money to get one of these, you'll never be sorry about it.

Speaking of Yardman(MTD) I had sent in a complaint to their Tech Dept> Here is what I said:

"I purchased my yardman 20 hp 42" deck last fall and used it ~5 or 6 times. I have used it once this year and now it wont go in gear. I called your tech support and they said it sounds like the belt came off. I checked and it did so I put it back on but it keeps coming off. So, I took it to the repair shop that your customer service said to take it to. They have it now and said it will be 6 weeks before I can get my mower back. My question is: Can I get my money back from you? I need to mow my grass and 6 weeks is unacceptable. I can NOT be more displeased with your product. I need someone to help me. call me at

After 3 days they responded with this:

We are a manufacturer and we provide warranty service coverage. Our warranties do not provide for trial periods or trade-in of used equipment. Please review your warranty for further details.

ONLY in a case wherein one of our authorized service dealers feels that the unit is within warranty and is deemed “un-repairable” and failed as a result of a warranted failure will we consider sending the service dealer a replacement unit.

So, I just sent them a final farewell response:

I wanted some help from you and got none. I certainly didnt want a replacement unit because it is my belief that your products are of very poor quality. My bad experience leads me to believe that a new one would only give me more headaches. I returned the Yardman to the store where I bought it today for a full refund. Count me as someone who will never purchase another MTD product. Thanks for nothing.

I'll recommend buying a zero turn radius X-Mark again. You don't have to buy their top of the line commercial mower. A few years ago, we had one of the 48" Lazer Z's. Not too pricey, and if you take care of it, that mower would last you 20 years. Purchase a mulching kit to put on in the fall, and you'll never have to rake and bag leaves again.

Edited by CaptainHook

Speed.  Traditional lawn tractors are slllooooowwwww.  Now, if you use them for something else (one can buy a snowblower attachment here in MI), you may be stuck.  However, if you're only mowing your lawn, either a zero-turn rider or a walk-behind would be your best bet, IMO.

As others have suggested, if you're truely interested in buying quality and never having to dink with this again, buy a commercial mower.  I personally like Scags, and CaptainHook is an X-mark guy.  My dad uses Dixie Choppers, and they seem to be okay, too.  No matter what, you'll be fine with a commercial mower, becuase they're built to withstand being beaten on for hours a day by lawn monkeys.  If you spend the up front money to get one of these, you'll never be sorry about it.

1459151[/snapback]

Excellent advice.

Edit: I have also seen snowplows for zero-trun radius mowers. As well as spreader attachments, aeration attachments, and wagon attachments.

Edited by CaptainHook

I went to 2 local dealers. One was the John Deere dealer and the other guy sold Kubota and some other stuff. He also had XMarks which were very pricey! :D He had this zero turn Hustler fast track that was built like a tank! 7 gauge steel construction. Unbelieavably well built and I liked it better than the Xmark or the Deere and it was $2500 cheaper. I got the 20 hp Honda motor and the 52" deck. See it here:

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/pdf/FT...006%20Specs.pdf

and:

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/home.html

Edited by spain

Just kidding Spainalicious, good luck with it. :D That 20hp Honda will last you 20 years if you treat her right.

The rest of the POS will probably fall apart within 3 years, but at least you'll have the motor. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I went to 2 local dealers.  One was the John Deere dealer and the other guy sold Kubota and some other stuff.  He also had XMarks which were very pricey! :D He had this zero turn Hustler fast track that was built like a tank!  7 gauge steel construction.  Unbelieavably well built and I liked it better than the Xmark or the Deere and it was $2500 cheaper.  I got the 20 hp Honda motor and the 52" deck.  See it here:

and:

1469308[/snapback]

Did it come with a centerfold included :D....never heard of them before

I went to 2 local dealers.  One was the John Deere dealer and the other guy sold Kubota and some other stuff.  He also had XMarks which were very pricey! :D He had this zero turn Hustler fast track that was built like a tank!  7 gauge steel construction.  Unbelieavably well built and I liked it better than the Xmark or the Deere and it was $2500 cheaper.  I got the 20 hp Honda motor and the 52" deck.  See it here:

and:

1469308[/snapback]

I'm not familiar with these at all. Looks like a beefy mower for a homeowner, which may suit you fine. A couple pieces of advice to keep this mowing well for a long time. First, find all of the grease zerks and make sure that you grease them at least a couple of times a year (don't get any on the belts!). While you likely won't put enough hours on it in a year to justify it, I'd still recommend changing the oil and oil filter once a season. Clean the air filter several times a season, and sharpen the blades twice or three times a season (more often if you're mowing an assload of grass).

Good luck. Hope this works great for you, and I'd love to hear your impressions of it.

First, find all of the grease zerks and make sure that you grease them at least a couple of times a year (don't get any on the belts!).  While you likely won't put enough hours on it in a year to justify it, I'd still recommend changing the oil and oil filter once a season.  Clean the air filter several times a season, and sharpen the blades twice or three times a season (more often if you're mowing an assload of grass).

1469335[/snapback]

Solid advice from the Doc.

Not sure what a zerk is though, maybe a filtered version of nipple?

EDIT: Nope, guess not. But it's good to know that we can say nipple around here. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Solid advice from the Doc.

Not sure what a zerk is though, maybe a filtered version of nipple?

EDIT: Nope, guess not. But it's good to know that we can say nipple around here. :D

1469337[/snapback]

A zerk is one of those little grease nipple thingies. On mowers, there are so many things that are constantly spinning and moving that aren't lubricated by the engine oil, greasing becomes as important as changing the engine oil. In my experience, at least.

I think you made a good choice. I have not heard of Hustler. But it looks good. Good job upgrading to 52" and the 20hp engine.

Now follow the advice on the zerks. Look in the owners manual so you know where they all are. They hide those good buddys everywhere. And I cannot emphasize this enough. BUY THE MULCH KIT. Only put it on in the late fall. You can mulch all your leaves away. No more raking. That alone will make it worth the money you spent.

Edited by CaptainHook

He already bought something. Pay attention. :D

1469534[/snapback]

My bad, I guess thats what you get for not refreshing the page for an hour and a half and then responding.

Upon further review, it does sound like you made a good choice. I guess I lose a timeout.

Didn't you learn a lesson the first time around not to buy cheap sh*t? :D

1469318[/snapback]

Just kidding Spainalicious, good luck with it. :D That 20hp Honda will last you 20 years if you treat her right.

The rest of the POS will probably fall apart within 3 years, but at least you'll have the motor. :D

1469322[/snapback]

It cost me $5k! :D Of course the closest Deere and XMark were about $7k! I could have gotten this bad boy with a Kohler or a Honda. I spent the extra $200 and got the Honda! I drove it on Sunday and was very impressed. I have never even been on a zero turn and am dam glad I paid mo money to get one. And I am glad I bought a mower from a local dealer. I felt very comfortable with these people and with this purchase.

It cost me $5k! :D  Of course the closest Deere and XMark were about $7k!  I could have gotten this bad boy with a Kohler or a Honda.  I spent the extra $200 and got the Honda!  I drove it on Sunday and was very impressed.  I have never even been on a zero turn and am dam glad I paid mo money to get one.  And I am glad I bought a mower from a local dealer.  I felt very comfortable with these people and with this purchase.

1471244[/snapback]

If you've got a good dealer backing this up, you're made in the shade. You won't have to buy another mower for another two decades, and you'll mow your lawn in 1/4 the time it would take with a residential lawn tractor. The initial $5K probably stung, but I can almost guarantee that you'll never regret it.