[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who to keep?

Klinger

I need advice here as I can justify either side of this argument or even neither. I am in a keeper league where you can keep up to 3 players. A VERY important consideration is we draft the league with Yahoo Autopick style rules where you cannot pick up a backup player until you have filled every starting spot. This means no one can take more than 2 RB until round 15.

I won my league last year and would love to keep everyone, but I have narrowed it down to 4 players. I will obviously keep Peyton and Larry Johnson and possibly have the best QB and RB combo in the league. I just don't know if I should keep Rudi or Gates. I could possibly trade one or both and right now Gates looks like an easier sell.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Here is how I see it:

Rudi

Pro

- He finished very strong last year

- He could get more carries throughout the year and especially when Palmer is getting up to speed.

- He seems to be ranked really high everywhere

- As with most leagues, my league has a RB drought.

- Keeping him would give me byes in weeks 3, 4, and 5 and get it out of the way early.

Cons

- Chris Perry was hurt at the end of last year which gave Rudi more opportunities and pumped his stats. When he comes back, those will get taken away.

- A weak Palmer might allow defenses to put more in the box and hurt his potential.

Gates

Pro

- Best TE in football would give me arguably the best player in QB/RB/TE.

- Would not need to worry much about that position and could fill bench with more RB.

- Could probably pick up a decent back who is Top 24 material in later rounds.

Cons

- Will he click with Rivers?

- Is the production difference between Gates and the other TEs bigger than Rudi and the other RBs?

Roster

QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, D, D, DB, DB, DL, DL, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Scoring

Passing Attempts (-.4)

Completions (1)

Passing Yards (50 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (6)

Interceptions (-2)

Rushing Yards (10 yards per point; 3 points at 150 yards)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Receptions (1)

Reception Yards (20 yards per point; 3 points at 150 yards)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

Return Yards (30 yards per point)

Return Touchdowns (6)

2-Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles Lost (-2)

no question gates

What are you talking about no question Rudi is an excellent RB he finished 7th in rushing and with 12 TDs almost mirroring his previous stats and if Carson is a little banged up Rudi will get more carries. He is a RB Gates is a TE and with a new QB you better anticipate Gates' numbers going down. :D

It could go either way but I would keep Gates

1-Even if he drops off, you have no worries and at worst a top 3-5 TE if not #1 again

2- There are about 8-10 RBs comparable in potential to Rudi. Of course this depends on who the other players are keeping.

3- I would keep Gates hands down. I would also consider Rudi over Manning. Check the top 10 QBs in your league and look at per week average. How much better has he been than #10? Of course you would have no QBs worries for a few years.

Personally I would drop Rudi.

Edited by Zooty

Gate provides a tremendous advantage over other teams in a TE manditory league, but it's hard to find a guy that's more reliable than Rudi. His stats since he became a starter are amazingly consistent.

Personally, I'd rather have the money in the bank at the hardest position in Fantasy Football to fill, and then pick up a guy like Crumpler, Shockey, or even Cooley or Heap two or three rounds into your draft.

3- I would keep Gates hands down. I would also consider Rudi over Manning. Check the top 10 QBs in your league and look at per week average. How much better has he been than #10? Of course you would have no QBs worries for a few years.

If I was in his position that's what I would probably do. Manning is going to get plenty of FFL milage for the next few years from his record setting 2004 season, but look at just about any other year, and he's not *that* far ahead of the other QBs that finished in the Top Five.

My question would be how many teams in your league will keep a TE vs how many teams will keep two RB.

If the answer is that more teams will keep two RB rather than a TE I would keep Rudi

I think that the distance between Gates and the rest of the TE's will be more narrow this year because of his QB

I keep Manning/LJ/Rudi

Something I think I should explain better is the significance of "the fact that we draft the league with Yahoo Autopick style rules where you cannot pick up a backup player until you have filled every starting spot." By round 3, almost every team will have their 2 RB and they cannot get a third until round 15. As such, I can pick up about the 20th best RB in round 4 or wait until round 14 and pick up the 24th best RB who would be about the same.

I definitely want to keep keep Manning just for the consistancy factor. With Manning, I never have to have another QB on my roster except for the bye week. The same with Gates. If I drop Rudi, I can then load up on upside RB.

I do appreciate the Manning opinion though. I think he will rebound this year a bit, especially if he plays during the last two games. That has to be considered in his point totals. The Colts might not be as dominant this year.

Something I think I should explain better is the significance of "the fact that we draft the league with Yahoo Autopick style rules where you cannot pick up a backup player until you have filled every starting spot." By round 3, almost every team will have their 2 RB and they cannot get a third until round 15. As such, I can pick up about the 20th best RB in round 4 or wait until round 14 and pick up the 24th best RB who would be about the same.

I definitely want to keep keep Manning just for the consistancy factor. With Manning, I never have to have another QB on my roster except for the bye week. The same with Gates. If I drop Rudi, I can then load up on upside RB.

I do appreciate the Manning opinion though. I think he will rebound this year a bit, especially if he plays during the last two games. That has to be considered in his point totals. The Colts might not be as dominant this year.

Well if you are insistant on keeping Peyton..my 2nd choice would be to trade Gates for Draft picks and/or someone you CAN use this year.

With the above said I would keep Gates over Rudi. Then you can grab someone like Kevin Jones really late in the draft for example.

You gotta keep Gates over Rudi. Gates is the #1 TE, even with essentially a "rookie" QB throwing to him. Rudi is the 6-7 best RB this year, and probably won't be as good as he is now in 3 years time. Gates on the other hand its scary to imagine his possibilities 3 years down the road.

I love your options -- It's easy to be enamored with gates but with the no backups until round 15 this shifts it to trading GATES ----- RUDI, LJ, and peyton are all 1st or 2nd round picks in any draft while Gates is a third rounder ------ I hate QBs in the 1st or 2nd round so my personal preference would be to trade peyton and keep Gates (I know this goes above the logic stated above) --- one of these 2 are the only good options