[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fair Trade for Hasselbeck...

TheGrunt

Okay, So my 12 team keeper league allows for teams to keep up to 6 players before the draft. With each keeper they choose to keep they lose a draft pick starting with the first round.

I recently chose to keep:

Alexander, Shaun SEA RB

Holt, Torry STL WR

Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB

Williams, Roy DET WR

Jones, Kevin DET RB

Palmer, Carson CIN QB

Then, one of the teams I am considering a trade with kept these players:

Chad Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Carnell Williams

Jamal Lewis

Chris Chambers

T.J. Houshmandzadeh

I saw the opportunity arise out the fact that he decided to keep 4 WR's and not any QB's, while I on the other hand, have two top 5 QB's. So far the only deal we have somewhat worked out is a trade where I give up Matt Hasselbeck for Chris Chambers. But before I went through with the deal I started to second guess it with the following factors.

For starters, in a 12 team keeper league, where we have just added 2 new franchises (so they will be picking players up the first 6 rounds before the other 10 teams), there is little hope for my opponent who has 4 WR's to draft a starting QB in the 7th round with anywhere near the potential value and consistency that Hasselbeck or Carson Palmer (in the long run for Palmer) will provide his team. So it makes sense to me that his need for a great QB is much higher than what he will lose if he gave up one of his starting WR's, Chad Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. I also feel like holding on to Hasselbeck will vastly improve the depth my team has at QB, and especially given the uncertainty surrounding Carson Palmer for the first half of this coming season.

So... my question is whether or not the trade involving Hasslbeck for Chris Chamber is about as fair as a trade will get for these two teams, or if in my case, it is reasonable to ask for Chad Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald for either Hasselbeck or Carson Palmer. What are you guys' thoughts?

Okay, So my 12 team keeper league allows for teams to keep up to 6 players before the draft. With each keeper they choose to keep they lose a draft pick starting with the first round.

I recently chose to keep:

Alexander, Shaun SEA RB

Holt, Torry STL WR

Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB

Williams, Roy DET WR

Jones, Kevin DET RB

Palmer, Carson CIN QB

Then, one of the teams I am considering a trade with kept these players:

Chad Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Carnell Williams

Jamal Lewis

Chris Chambers

T.J. Houshmandzadeh

I think I would check his interest in Palmer. Sounds scary but it looks like he might be ready week 1. Would he do Palmer for Chad? Not sure. If you want to trade Hasselbeck remember he is very reliable but not glamorous. He also has the 3rd easiest schedule this year. Last season SA got a bunch of his TD's inside the 5 behind Hutchinson. With him gone, Hasselbeck may have to throw them in. Still have some time and you are talking about very good players on both sides. You should be able to work something out. You may want to remind him who his QB options are in the 7th round to help your cause.

should you try to get chad or fitz if you can? probably.

would he do it if he was smart? absolutely not.

people need to realize that palmer should not be treated like a top 5 QB. the bottom line is that we do not know if he will go week 1, but prior history suggests that a comeback that early from an injury this severe would be unprecendented. history suggests that he still needs a few months. culpepper's injury was something like 3 months before palmer's, was just as if not more severe, and he is in doubt to be full strength.

if you deal hass for chambers, then you have just put yourself in the round 7 QB category as well if palmer is out, and if the pickings are as slim as you say they are, the differential you would get from chambers is probably not worth it.

keep the QB depth and only gamble for chad/fitz - and that is still a gamble.

Edited by tonorator

Keep both Hass and Palmer for now. You have a stud in Holt and Williams is the best WR Detroit has. Draft a 3rd WR and look to trade Hass during the season if Palner comes back to 2005 form. Then you know what a player is worth and where you may need help.

Thanks a lot for the help, I think you all made very valid points. Most likely, I'll end up holding onto Hasselbeck and Palmer for now, and since I have some time before their week 5 bye's I should be in pretty good condition. Plus, later on down the road during this season Hasselbeck will make for a great trading prospect once Palmer does get fully comfortable again and regains the position of elite-QB. I think I just saw a really good opportunity to grab a WR such as Chad Johnson and Fitzgerald; however, come week 5 I might still have the same opportunity but with much more assurance with what to expect from Carson Palmer. :D

Thanks a lot for the help, I think you all made very valid points. Most likely, I'll end up holding onto Hasselbeck and Palmer for now, and since I have some time before their week 5 bye's I should be in pretty good condition. Plus, later on down the road during this season Hasselbeck will make for a great trading prospect once Palmer does get fully comfortable again and regains the position of elite-QB. I think I just saw a really good opportunity to grab a WR such as Chad Johnson and Fitzgerald; however, come week 5 I might still have the same opportunity but with much more assurance with what to expect from Carson Palmer. :D

:D