[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Single List Auto-Draft Advice Request

Hello,

Newb here - REALLY.

Just started Fantasy Football last year and now - deeply addicted. So I am late to the party - but happy to learn all I can. (the beer is in the cooler).

I was looking through the articles and forums and didn't find (or overlooked) any resource that will guide me in creating a single list that will net me a solid team.

The auto-draft will occur on August 25 and will be a 10 owner league. It is auto-draft because it is with friends and family who are all over the place geographically and chronologically.

The auto-draft is single list, snake for 16 rounds. I did this last year and stayed with the default Top 200 list and did ok. But this year I have done my homework and want that reflected in my draft list.

So, my question (finally) is this...

"Is there and article or strategy or even advice available for creating an effective, strong single draft list?"

What I am afraid of is overdrafting in a single position and missing top choices in other positions. For example, "If my first 15-20 draft choices are RB's have I screwed myself out of a top 5 WR?"

Thanks,

SJW

PS - I was given the book "Committed" by Mark St. Amant and told "THIS is YOU!" by the gentleman who introduced me to Fantasy Football. Apparently I scare him now.

Edited by SJWerewolf

I use the my fantasyleague.com draft tracker and thehuddle.coms stats---along with my own feelings on certain players and create my own list--and I would wait until a day or two before your draft to do this because of injuries to key players--someone will get hurt before your draft day--don't you get stuck with a player injured and out for the season. You can get started now on your list but I'm saying don't complete it until a day or two before your draft.

I finished in the top 3 5 years in a row doing this method..good luck

hmmmm....There are resources all over the place. Your gut is the what ultimatly has the final say. Just remember even though a draft looks great on paper does not mean anything once the season starts. Last year a team in one of my leagues had one of the best drafts I have ever seen. He landed Holt, Moss and Owens. McNabb and Westbrook and Cadilac Williams. Thats just the ones I remember. He did not make the Play-offs. :D Ever since joining the Huddle I have not found a better resource. I use other sites for information it is just not as good or timly as the information I get here. In addition to here you can try www.realfootball365.com and all the normal sites (espn, foxsports, sportingnews, etc.) Fot a live draft I suggest "Draftlab" from rotolab.com this will be the second year I have used it and I love it. I just don't think it would be as effective in a auto-draft. Welcome to your new addiction! :D

Edited by fantasyfanatic

why not do your draft on-line at a site such as myfantasyleague.com and stretch it out over a week or so? that's how many of them get done here on the huddle. that removes the need to get everyone together and the need to do an auto-draft. it is pretty straightforward.

:D

regarding your question, who knows? the beauty of fantasy football is making your choices based on what others are doing. when you have no idea what they will do, you have no choice but to submit a bland list and hope for the best.

The best way to approach an autodraft in my opinion is to prerank your players based on where you want to take them.

Let's say you know that you want your first four picks to go on RBs and/or stud receivers. Rank your top 20-30 RBs and then mix in your top 10-15 WRs. Push all of the QBs and TEs to the end of that initial 40-45 player run. Try not to bunch up your WRs, especially near the top or you might miss out on getting a good RB.

Once you've got your first 40-45 players set, then slot in the rest of your roster accordingly.

This an autodraft, so it's not a foolproff strategy by any means, but at least you won't be the guy that ends up with Payton Manning in the first round and Tom Brady in the second.

Edited by tomfin2000

Let's say you know that you want your first four picks to go on RBs and/or stud receivers. Rank your top 20-30 RBs and then mix in your top 10-15 WRs. Push all of the QBs and TEs to the end of that initial 40-45 player run. Try not to bunch up your WRs, especially near the top or you might miss out on getting a good RB.

Once you've got your first 40-45 players set, then slot in the rest of your roster accordingly.

This an autodraft, so it's not a foolproff strategy by any means, but at least you won't be the guy that ends up with Payton Manning in the first round and Tom Brady in the second.

Thanks - this is exactly what I was looking for!!!

I was thinking of ranking my Tier 1 & 2 RB's into my first 20 slots with Tier 1 WR's and TE's sprinkled in the slots 12-20. Then mix the rest.