[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade Analysis and Advice Requested

Vet

Here's the situation:

Dynasty league with 10 teams and 10 keepers, standard scoring. One team with a strong starting QB has put Jake Delhomme on the block for "RB Depth".

If the season started today, my starting QB would be Jake Plummer and my starting RBs would probably be Carnell Williams and Rudi Johnson. My back-ups would be Roethlisberger, Julius Jones and Dominic Davis.

My question: Should I offer Davis for Delhomme?

Delhomme would probably start for me over Plummer, but I'm not sure his numbers would be THAT much better than Plummer to warrant giving up RB depth, which (as you guys know) always proves valuable over the course of a season.

I might be able to get him to throw in a mediocre reciever (Lelie, Colbert type guy), or a mid-level draft pick (but the top 100 players are pretty much off the board)...but Davis and Delhomme would clearly be the principals in this trade.

Any and all thought appreciated.

Uh, are you insane? Have you gone mad? You obviously need a QB upgrade, and you obviously have RB depth, but that would be a trade where you're not really upgrading your team, and your significantly helping another team.

Just look at the huddle's rankings for example. Davis is 19th overall, Delhomme is 109th.

Why would you even consider that trade? :D

Why would you even consider that trade? :D

Ummm...cuz I'm dumb?

Or, to put it more gently, because it's August 10th and I haven't yet strapped my tiny little thinking cap securely to my oversized noggin?

No, I wouldn't make that offer. Who are his other QBs? If he's offering Delhomme like some kind of jewel, tell him he should keep him for his own starter and upgrade at RB to the expense of some other QB.

D. Davis was disappointing last year for sure. He is still the top RB in town and expect a solid year which would give you fantastic depth to make a greater move later.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Kubiak came from Denver, which is a RB factory. Davis could be in for a big year. Also Caddy had some durability issues last year so Dom could very well end up a starter for you.

No, I wouldn't make that offer. Who are his other QBs? If he's offering Delhomme like some kind of jewel, tell him he should keep him for his own starter and upgrade at RB to the expense of some other QB.

D. Davis was disappointing last year for sure. He is still the top RB in town and expect a solid year which would give you fantastic depth to make a greater move later.

He has P.Manning.

He's not offering Delhomme "like some kind of jewell". He's offering him as a decent QB that won't start on his team but might start on some other team, like mine.

So the question is - Will Delhomme put up numbers that are significantly better than Jake Plummer?

If so, I'd be willing to part with some RB depth, if not I wouldn't.

I was leaning toward not, but thought I'd see if anyone had anything insightful to say. I'm still waiting to find out.

He has P.Manning.

He's not offering Delhomme "like some kind of jewell". He's offering him as a decent QB that won't start on his team but might start on some other team, like mine.

So the question is - Will Delhomme put up numbers that are significantly better than Jake Plummer?

If so, I'd be willing to part with some RB depth, if not I wouldn't.

I was leaning toward not, but thought I'd see if anyone had anything insightful to say. I'm still waiting to find out.

What, my response wasn't insightful enough for you? :D

Here's the deal, Plummer and Delhomme are a wash. I'd rather have Delhomme, but he won't significantly out produce Plummer imo. RB's, as always, are at a premium. RB's not in RBBC are even at a higher premium. You're in a great spot, having 3 potential top 10 RB's as well as a decent bye week guy in JJ. Honestly, if you want to make a move, over Caddy for P. Manning. Now that would be a trade worth making, and you have the RB depth to pull it off. To give away a good RB for a non-upgrade at QB is senseless imo.

What, my response wasn't insightful enough for you? :D

Here's the deal, Plummer and Delhomme are a wash. I'd rather have Delhomme, but he won't significantly out produce Plummer imo. RB's, as always, are at a premium. RB's not in RBBC are even at a higher premium. You're in a great spot, having 3 potential top 10 RB's as well as a decent bye week guy in JJ. Honestly, if you want to make a move, over Caddy for P. Manning. Now that would be a trade worth making, and you have the RB depth to pull it off. To give away a good RB for a non-upgrade at QB is senseless imo.

Now, THAT's why I pay my $20 (or whatever it is) to TheHuddle every year!

He's not going to trade Peyton Manning. There is only one guy in our league dumb enough to trade Peyton Manning. And, sadly, that guy is me.

I traded Manning after the 2001 season for Edgerrin James, Brett Favre and Rich Gannon.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I have not won a title since 2001.

Now, THAT's why I pay my $20 (or whatever it is) to TheHuddle every year!

He's not going to trade Peyton Manning. There is only one guy in our league dumb enough to trade Peyton Manning. And, sadly, that guy is me.

I traded Manning after the 2001 season for Edgerrin James, Brett Favre and Rich Gannon.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I have not won a title since 2001.

Offer Julius Jones or Domanick Davis for Carson Palmer or Tom Brady. Something like that. As mentioned, you can afford to move an RB, but only do it for a significant QB upgrade.

In a dynasty league that does not heavily favor QB scoring, I would trade P. Manning for C. Williams in a heartbeat.

I'd gift wrap Caddy and drive him over there myself if I thought I could get Peyton. But I don't think I could afford enough booze to get my buddy drunk enough to make that trade.

The average career duration for an NFL runningback is something like 4 years. I realize that the "average" includes alot of scrubs that come and go within one season. But, even for the solid RBs, I think the average is maybe 6 years of productive play.

I think Peyton Manning will be tossing TD passes for several years after Cadillac Williams is nothing more than a memory. So, you'd have to weigh that before making that trade in a dynasty league, especially given the fact that Caddy spent a good part of his first season nursing a sore foot.

However, if you think you could pull off that trade, I'll hire you as my GM in a heartbeat!

I'd gift wrap Caddy and drive him over there myself if I thought I could get Peyton. But I don't think I could afford enough booze to get my buddy drunk enough to make that trade.

The average career duration for an NFL runningback is something like 4 years. I realize that the "average" includes alot of scrubs that come and go within one season. But, even for the solid RBs, I think the average is maybe 6 years of productive play.

I think Peyton Manning will be tossing TD passes for several years after Cadillac Williams is nothing more than a memory. So, you'd have to weigh that before making that trade in a dynasty league, especially given the fact that Caddy spent a good part of his first season nursing a sore foot.

However, if you think you could pull off that trade, I'll hire you as my GM in a heartbeat!

Yeah, I figured I'd get some resistance on that one. Here's my point: Manning was the #3 QB in '05, the #2 QB in '04, even with 49 freaking TD's, and the #4 QB in '03. The distance between himself and the next several QB's was not that great. I think his value is unjustly sky high. A top 5 RB is much more valuable than a top 5 QB imo. And Manning's not a lock to be the clear cut best FF QB year in, year out, because he hasn't been, and now, with no RB, and aging WR's, he's on the downward spiral.

Hey, it's just one man's opinion.

Yeah, I figured I'd get some resistance on that one.

Hey, it's just one man's opinion.

And not a bad opinion at that. BUT, when talking about potential trades, you have to account for PERCEPTION, and Manning is PERCEIVED to be, hands down, the best fantasy QB. That's why I think he would have a hard time pulling off that trade. Now if you could possibly(and I think this is unlikely)get Manning for Plummer and a RB(JJ perhaps) you should think about doing that if you are confidant you can pull one of the good RBs in your rookie draft.

And not a bad opinion at that. BUT, when talking about potential trades, you have to account for PERCEPTION, and Manning is PERCEIVED to be, hands down, the best fantasy QB. That's why I think he would have a hard time pulling off that trade. Now if you could possibly(and I think this is unlikely)get Manning for Plummer and a RB(JJ perhaps) you should think about doing that if you are confidant you can pull one of the good RBs in your rookie draft.

Plummer is a waste of roster space as far as I'm concerned, so if throwing him in would make the deal, I'd agree whole-heartedly, if you really want Manning.