[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiki

LooGie

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I doubt it.

I asked this question a few days ago, and now it's really perplexing me.

Why does Tiki just seem to get better and better?

Most stars will decline as time goes on, some will merely stay at the top, but Tiki seems to be getting better and better. As a 10 year vet he looks like a 25 year old STUD!

Rice stayed at the top of his game

Faulk stayed at the top

Sanders and even Emmit, until his decline.

Even Walter Payton.

But tiki is just getting better and better.

Are there any NYG homers out there, or anyone, who has a theory to this?

Is it the coaching? Is it the experience, could it be steroids (not serious here, but could it be?)? Has he learned to see the field/read the defense better?

Some of the runs last year were incredible, and to finish with the 2nd most total yards in NFL history is incredible in itself. There has to be a reason for this, and it can't be because he ages well. :D I dont think.

His team is sucking less than when he first got there, the Thunder and Lightning Duo is over, and Tom Coughlin taught him to stop fumbling. He's never been a bad runner, he just coughed it up a lot and they are trusting him a lot more with Coughlin. Look at his production before Coughlin and after.

Edited by CD6405

His team is sucking less than when he first got there, the Thunder and Lightning Duo is over, and Tom Coughlin taught him to stop fumbling. He's never been a bad runner, he just coughed it up a lot and they are trusting him a lot more with Coughlin. Look at his production before Coughlin and after.

so you think he's always been this good, just didn't have the attempts (plus the fumbling?)

those runs last year made him look like a damn genius and he looked like he was still running a low 40 speed?

so you think he's always been this good, just didn't have the attempts (plus the fumbling?)

those runs last year made him look like a damn genius and he looked like he was still running a low 40 speed?

Yea I Think he always has been that good, I mean go back to when he actually started getting touches in 2000. He averaged 4.7 yards a carry and 10.3 yards a catch. Those were on 213 carries for 1006 yards and 70 catches for 719 yards. Since 2000 he has averaged no less than 4.4 yp carry, I just think his fumbling overshadowed his real ability.

Also, we just see it now because since Coughlin has got there he has run the ball atleast 320 times in 2 years and had atleast 50 catches. Before he arrived Tiki had only 1 season over 300 carries, and that was 2002. Every other season he was under 300 with his highest mark being 278 (in which he had 9 fumbles).

I believe Tiki has always been a great running and receiver, we just never noticed it because his fumbling problem. Coughling fixed the fumbling and made Tiki the fixture of the offense where everything went through him.

Edited by CD6405

Good question. I would say it may be due to the fact that he was not a full-time back early in his career. He was more of a change of pace/3rd down back. He didn't start getting full-time duty until the 2000 season. So, this is only his 7th season as the starter. That's about the time most RB's are in there prime. If he were to stick around for a few more years, you'd probably see a big decline in productivity.

Also, much like Barry Sanders, he's very elusive and you don't see him taking a lot of big hits.

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

Yea I Think he always has been that good, I mean go back to when he actually started getting touches in 2000. He averaged 4.7 yards a carry and 10.3 yards a catch. Those were on 213 carries for 1006 yards and 70 catches for 719 yards. Since 2000 he has averaged no less than 4.4 yp carry, I just think his fumbling overshadowed his real ability.

Also, we just see it now because since Coughlin has got there he has run the ball atleast 320 times in 2 years and had atleast 50 catches. Before he arrived Tiki had only 1 season over 300 carries, and that was 2002. Every other season he was under 300 with his highest mark being 278 (in which he had 9 fumbles).

I believe Tiki has always been a great running and receiver, we just never noticed it because his fumbling problem. Coughling fixed the fumbling and made Tiki the fixture of the offense where everything went through him.

Good question. I would say it may be due to the fact that he was not a full-time back early in his career. He was more of a change of pace/3rd down back. He didn't start getting full-time duty until the 2000 season. So, this is only his 7th season as the starter. That's about the time most RB's are in there prime. If he were to stick around for a few more years, you'd probably see a big decline in productivity.

Also, much like Barry Sanders, he's very elusive and you don't see him taking a lot of big hits.

good points. I never thought of it like this, I just assumed he was getting better and better because his production was going up and up.

And obviously with this increased production, he increases his chances to break a big one, which he does quite a bit anyway.

Thanks for the input.

I certainly dont want him to retire, as I feel he has at least 2 more years on the top of the NFL and real shot at the hall of fame.

Speaking of which, do you feel he has a shot at the HoF? I'm just not familiar enough with his career to even make a guess.

I know he's averaged right up there with Sanders and Brown in YPC, but only because I just learned that on MNF :D