[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

166-0

Chavez

That is Menominee, Michigan's aggregate score through 4 rounds of HS playoffs.

I, for one, am impressed. :D

That is something! Congrats!

Your old school, My friend?

That is something! Congrats!

Your old school, My friend?

Rivals.

Proof. - click on the "Great Northern" link on the top left and scroll down to Menominee. If the Saginaw Swan Valley score isn't up yet, they beat them 34-0 today.

Edited by Chavez

Article on Menominee - they wear unis that make Penn State's look garishly overdecorated and run a SINGLE FREAKIN' WING.

If you are a high school athlete, you want to be a quarterback.

It has the highest profile of any position on any team in any sport ... unless you are a student at Menominee.

"Our quarterback is a glorified guard who can catch passes," said Menominee coach Ken Hofer.

Menominee runs the single-wing offense, and, ready or not, it is on its way from the western reaches of the Upper Peninsula and is headed down to Ford Field on Saturday for the Division 5 state championship game against Madison Heights Madison.

When you think of the single wing, your mind conjures up images of Knute Rockne and old black-and-white films of Notre Dame running the offense.

If you look carefully at those old movies, you will probably see Hofer in the background taking notes.

In the single wing, the quarterback is lined up in the shotgun formation, which many schools use today. But the single wing Hofer uses is radically different.

"The premise of the shotgun is to spread people out and then you throw the ball," he said. "We run out of it."

Hofer is a 1952 graduate of Stephenson, and he played at Wisconsin, which did not use the single wing until late in his career.

"That was the beginning of the straight-T that George Halas used with three backs," Hofer said.

Hofer has to be ancient because most high school coaches today have never heard of Papa Bear Halas, who once owned and coached the Chicago Bears and was deemed an offensive genius.

In 1964, Hofer began coaching at Stephenson, and, a year later, he put in the single wing.

"We played teams like Escanaba, Menominee, Marquette, Kingsford and the Soo, and they were all bigger than us," he said. "I felt we had to do something to give us an extra blocker. But our single wing doesn't look like it did then."

Hofer moved to Menominee in 1966 and has been there ever since. He did have to leave coaching for three years, when he became a school administrator, but after seasons of 1-5, 3-6 and 1-8, the school board got him back on the sidelines.

Hofer attends national symposiums dedicated strictly to the single wing, although it does sound like an excuse to get together to drink beer.

"There's very little of that," Hofer said. "It's a serious-minded group."

Hofer is the 10th winningest coach in state history -- 266-122-2 -- and he will be attempting to win his second state championship.

In 1998 Menominee came down to the Silverdome and used the single wing to lambaste Haslett, 42-6.

While most fans will be focusing on Menominee's offense, which has scored 166 points in four playoff games, they might want to keep an eye on its defense, which has given up a grand total of zero points in those four games. In 13 games, Menominee has outscored its opponents, 498-38.

"Unbelievable, isn't it?" Hofer asked rhetorically.

Another remarkable thing to consider is that Hofer, 72, will be coaching against Madison's Ryan Culloty, who turned 29 Thursday.

"Hey, Millie, do you ever remember me being 29?" he shouted to his wife. "She said, 'No.' "

By the way, Halas' 1940 team beat the Washington Redskins, 73-0, to win the NFL championship.

I think Hofer still has the program from that game.

• 11 months later...
Division 5? I take it they don't play against the East Lansings or major sized Detroit HS's? Impressive though , for a bunch of Yuup's :D

They beat defending Wisconsin D-1 champ (who made it back to the title game this year but lost) Homestead - Men is about 600 students, Homestead is well over 1000.

Division 5? I take it they don't play against the East Lansings or major sized Detroit HS's? Impressive though , for a bunch of Yuup's :D

They just beat Jackson Lumen Christi 21-7 to win their 2nd consecutive state title...and 28th straight game.

Is there good competition ? Or is it that most of the best athetes happen to go to this school ?

IMO Michigan HS football is among the best in the northern states - generally you see Fla, Cal, and Tx as the best states for HS football and I have no argument with that. I have seen Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Jersey listed as the top northern states - and the number of stud D-1 players Ohio churns out is amazing - but I'd say MI hangs with anyone below that top 4 of Fla, Cal, Tx, and Ohio. So a 10-0 playoff run over two years is pretty good even though the size of the school is a bit smaller. Jackson LC is a private school in a good-sized city so I'd say that they can probably punch above their weight as far as talent due to recruiting, so that's a pretty good win.

Now, Menominee plays in a lower division and 3 of their 4 league games are really non-issues (including the one against my hometown :D ), but they have the Nsab "any time, any place" mentality for their other 4 regular season games - they go into Wisconsin and Minnesota and often play teams 2-3 times their size. This past year they took down 2 defending Wisconsin state champs, one of which made it back to the title game in the largest division.

As far as their players, I don't know if they'll amount to anything in college but their best players this year were Cody Woods, Matt Eisenzoph and Ethan Shaver, who were absolute beasts. They were all first-team all-state, which considering the Michigan football world revolves around Detroit is a pretty amazing accomplishment for a UP team.

Another thing that really helps the Maroons is the run a form of the single-wing, which most teams they run into out of conference/in the playoffs haven't seen except on some grainy old black-and-white film.

Edited by Chavez

On the other end of the spectrum my old HS, Blissfield, just lost in the Michigan state finals. This was the schools first final, ever. In fact, I believe it was the first time the school ever won a regional game. I could be wrong on that front. Blissfield is a very good baseball school, not much for football. Good run by those kids! :D