[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

soriano a cub......

dmarc117

Some thoughts on the deal.

He will be 39 and making 17-18 mil a year. This will make him real hard to trade in the next decade. If I were a cub fan I would rather have that money invested in pitching. Plus it’s a lot of money for a guys who strikes out a lot and plays bad defense.

In the long run this deal could price the cubs out of making a real offer to real nice pitchers.

They have now have 45 million tied into 3 players, Lee, Soriano, and Aramis. What happens when you have to resign big Z and Proir? 75 million for just 5 players?

Lately in the news they were saying that the cubs will be for sale, this makes it less attractive to buy them. Their payroll obligations will scare away a few buyers.

They spend $200+ Millioin this off season and they have not added starting pitcher.

who knows, maybe the Tribune is going all out and will still allow Hendry to chase after Zito. But I think they could have found a much better use for that money.

some of Soriano stats;

- .325 career OBP

- Averaged 136 K's a season last 6 seasons including 160 last year

- Has had over 40 walks only once in his career (last year - 67)

dont get me wrong, he is a real nice player but not fot that cash.

Too bad he can't pitch.

What happens when you have to resign big Z and Proir? 75 million for just 5 players?

Why would the Cubs re-sign Prior? He'll be out the door at the end of his deal, as will Wood when his contract is up after next season.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I dont know if they will sign prior or not.(I wouldn't) but they dont always make the best decisions. like they want to make Soriano a leadoff hitter. why would you want a guy with a bunch of strike outs and low OBP leading off?? just cause he can steal?

And i could see him in that park aiming more for the buckets instead of getting on 1st. so his OBP should not improve, while his HR should get better.

i heard chris singleton on the radio say how soriano told him he did not like to lead off.

but the cubs now have a nice line up they should not waste it on having him lead off.

they dont always make the best decisions.

LOL, that's the understatement of the year. :D

like they want to make Soriano a leadoff hitter. why would you want a guy with a bunch of strike outs and low OBP leading off?? just cause he can steal?

Apparently. Agreed that Soriano's OBP is too low to be a leadoff hitter. I read somewhere that the sCrUBS were strongly considering putting him in CF now that Pierre is gone. That would be a disaster.

but the cubs now have a nice line up they should not waste it on having him lead off.

Unfortunately, their starters outside of Zambrano are either crap, injury-prone, or both. Hendry spent a ton of money on Soriano to put butts in the seats and that's about it. Agreed that they should've over-paid for Zito, rather than him. They need starting pitching, not over-priced 40/40 position players who strike out 130 times a season and can't play defense.

I'm so happy that I'm a Sox fan. I was ridiculed for years by Cubs fans ("the empty blue seats", "the steep upper deck", etc.), but I'm now having the last laugh at this disaster of a baseball franchise.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I'm glad the Phillies didn't pay that much for Soriano. I would have loved him in Philly, but not for that long of a deal. $17M for 4-5 years I could see, but 8 years is nuts. I would still like to see the Phils get some protection for Howard and improve their middle relief.