[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another crappy sports parent...

Puddy

In Minnesota, these little kids will participate in a state tournament after qualifying in local district and regional tournaments. They will travel from all parts of the state and nobody would even think of not doing so if they've qualified for state. It's incredible that a family would spend a weekend 300 miles away from home to see their little Jimmy wrestle other 1st graders but nobody will think twice about it.

Both of my sons have wrestled in these type of tournaments. To say the least the parents are not expecting any kid to come along and beat their kid.

This looks very familiar to me. I've seen many dads get PO'd when their little precious got beat on a wrestling mat. Believe me, the parents of youth wrestling are much worse than older wrestlers that participate in high school. I've never seen a dad even the score with a little kid before though. It's a very emotional sport and these dads are usually looking forward to bringing home a 1st place trophy (it's the kid's trophy) all week before the event.

When I ran our youth wrestling program, I opened it up to K-6 since every tournament includes kids of that age. Previously the program started at third grade. My youngest boy was a Kindergartner at the time. I've jammed 300 kids and their parents into a small gym for tournaments before. It's a crazy day!

It's easy to forget that these kids are the age that they are when they are out there competing.

Very true about wrestling being an emotional sport, and parents acting out often. Once incident in my youth wrestling career comes to mind. I was waiting on-deck at a mat, I was probably about 12 at the time, there were two 8-10 year olds wrestling the match in front of me. The two parents ended up in a fistfight after the match, and I saw the whole thing transpire.

It is tradition to shake the other coaches hand (usually Dad's at that age) after the match. The boy who won went over to shake the losing wrestler's dad's hand. The Dad pulled him in and said something to him. The kid then walked over to his Dad, and I saw his Dad say "What did he say ?" when the kid told his Dad what the opponents Dad said, he flew across the mat, and they started fighting. Security had to break it up, while the two 8-10 years old boys stood there crying. Me and my opponent were waiting on-deck, and we just looked at each other and shook our heads. It's barely ever the kids causing problems, most often it is the parents.

I have fond (but fuzzy) memories of wrestling as a youth. we practiced in a local Junior High cafeteria. I remember the chore of having to unroll the mats at the beginning of practice and then roll them back up when we were done.

In Minnesota, these little kids will participate in a state tournament after qualifying in local district and regional tournaments. They will travel from all parts of the state and nobody would even think of not doing so if they've qualified for state. It's incredible that a family would spend a weekend 300 miles away from home to see their little Jimmy wrestle other 1st graders but nobody will think twice about it.

Both of my sons have wrestled in these type of tournaments. To say the least the parents are not expecting any kid to come along and beat their kid.

Been there, done that. Years later, I thanked my parents for all the time and $$$ they must have spent. When your a kid, you don't realize the sacrifice your parents are making. During wresting season, we went to tournaments ever Saturday and sometimes on Sunday too. Then during the post-season, when I'd make it through States, we would go to Eastern Nationals, in NJ, NY, DE, or somewhere else in the Northeast. The sacrifice parents make for that sport are amazing.