[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

State Farm pulling up stakes in Mississippi

rajncajn

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the stipulation is the water must be "wind driven" which was one of the hangups of whether the storm surge was truly a "flood" and not pushed by the wind. Unfortunately for myself that is a battle that I know could not be won

By definition, isn't a storm surge wind-driven?

Storm surge is caused primarily by high winds pushing on the ocean's surface. The wind causes the water to pile up higher than the ordinary sea level.
:D Edited by Bill Swerski

Agreed. But pay out on the policies you've issued. If that bankrupts the insurance company, I really don't care. Do you think my creditors care if I have to declare bankruptcy in order to pay debts that I'm contractually obligated to pay to them? Nope. So why the heck should we have more sympathy for corporate america's profits than we would have for an american himself?

i'm pretty sure they ARE paying out on the policies they're required to pay out on, these decisions are based solely on conditions going forward. they appear to feel that certain judicial rulings have made their exposure on any particular policy vague enough that they feel they can no longer offer coverage at a competitive rate and be reasonably assured of making a profit. so they've decided it doesn't make sense for them to offer new policies there. i don't really think anyone is asking for sympathy -- trying to get sympathy for the insurance industry may be a bit of an uphill battle. :D

i'm pretty sure they ARE paying out on the policies they're required to pay out on, these decisions are based solely on conditions going forward. they appear to feel that certain judicial rulings have made their exposure on any particular policy vague enough that they feel they can no longer offer coverage at a competitive rate and be reasonably assured of making a profit. so they've decided it doesn't make sense for them to offer new policies there. i don't really think anyone is asking for sympathy -- trying to get sympathy for the insurance industry may be a bit of an uphill battle. :D

My bookie told me something like that after this season. :D

I don't really blame them for not writing new policies.

Really, nobody should take them to task for that.

Not paying on the claims that were made though is crap.

I don't have a problem with them not wanting to write new policies for the immediate coastal areas, 1, 2, 3 miles in or so from the coastline itself, but the rest of the state shouldn't be penalized for them having to pay up on some of the coastal claims.

By definition, isn't a storm surge wind-driven?

:D

That's what I thought as well. :D

*good info that is wasted on a thick-skulled idiot*

Hate to tell you this, but however long you took to type that is wasted if you expect it to have any effect.