[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Charger place 1st/3rd on Turner

tonyr0802

this doesn't mean turner will be with the bolts, nor does it necessarily mean another team will have to come with 1st and 3rd rounders to get turner in a trade. it simply means he won't be leaving via free agency.

I'd add most probably won't be leaving via free agency. Temas view high draft picks as golden (though I'm not sure why when you're getting proven talent with an NFL vet if the player is talented enough), so it is highly improbable that teams will surrender a 1st & 3rd for him .

Don't forget that the Chargers have the same problem with Turner that the Falcons have with Schaub - while they appear to have tremendous leverage to get great value for their RFAs based upon their tenders, that leverage is actually much less because if they don't get something done this year both players will become unrestricted free agents next year - meaning the team gets nothing when they leave. That puts a lot more pressure on their respective teams to get something done this year - and well before the regular season starts.

Neither the Chargers with Turner or the Falcons with Schaub are likely to want to carry 2 starter-type salaries at one high profile skill position, so a resigning & extension of their contracts isn't very likely.

I still fully expect both guys to move this offseason - most likely sometime just before the draft - in a trade, with the team acquiring the players signing them immediately to extended contracts (which will be part of the negotiations between their current teams, their new teams, and the players prior to any trade).

Add to that the likelihood of either guy wanting to stick with their respective teams mired behind immovable players when they both feel they can be starters & make some significant jack when they perform as they expect to, and you can bet their current teams feel highly motivated to deal this offseason. Other teams know this as well, don't forget - you won't see a team getting sexually abused for super-high draft picks to acquire either guy.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I'd add most probably won't be leaving via free agency. Temas view high draft picks as golden (though I'm not sure why when you're getting proven talent with an NFL vet if the player is talented enough), so it is highly improbable that teams will surrender a 1st & 3rd for him .

Don't forget that the Chargers have the same problem with Turner that the Falcons have with Schaub - while they appear to have tremendous leverage to get great value for their RFAs based upon their tenders, that leverage is actually much less because if they don't get something done this year both players will become unrestricted free agents next year - meaning the team gets nothing when they leave. That puts a lot more pressure on their respective teams to get something done this year - and well before the regular season starts.

Neither the Chargers with Turner or the Falcons with Schaub are likely to want to carry 2 starter-type salaries at one high profile skill position, so a resigning & extension of their contracts isn't very likely.

I still fully expect both guys to move this offseason - most likely sometime just before the draft - in a trade, with the team acquiring the players signing them immediately to extended contracts (which will be part of the negotiations between their current teams, their new teams, and the players prior to any trade).

Add to that the likelihood of either guy wanting to stick with their respective teams mired behind immovable players when they both feel they can be starters & make some significant jack when they perform as they expect to, and you can bet their current teams feel highly motivated to deal this offseason. Other teams know this as well, don't forget - you won't see a team getting sexually abused for super-high draft picks to acquire either guy.

right. that's why i would expect to see both guys traded, and to be traded for significantly less than the penalty for signing them as free agents (1st and 3rd rounders). my hunch is the falcons and bolts will each be thrilled if they can get a first or second round pick. they may settle for anything on the first day of the draft. or perhaps they're looking for players coming back.

i don't disagree with any of what you guys are saying.

i'm just glad they slapped the maximum compensation on him.

if teams aren't willing to part with high picks then we're better off with Turner as insurance, especially given that this team needs to make a run at a SB now.

My opinion why the 1st and 3rd tender was placed on him is to keep their division rival from getting him. (Turner). Denver would love to have him but if they do go for him it WILL cost a 1st and 3rd from them. They would never be willing to give up that much. San Diego is playing their cards right with this move. They can now control where Turner goes. Smart move IMO.

san diego will more than likely get a 3rd round comp pick for him after next year when he leaves, so its not like they get nothing if they keep him this year.

That comp pick is more like a 4thy rounder - they are awarded at the ends of rounds.

The dream s over for most rational fantasy owners:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...7p-423286c.html

The Chargers gave Turner, a restricted free agent, the highest tender, $2.35 million. That means, if they decide not to match an offer, they'd be entitled to first- and third-round picks. Teams are allowed to negotiate draft-pick compensation, but Chargers GM A.J. Smith doesn't sound like he's going to budge.

"It's over," Smith emphatically told the Daily News. "It'll take a 1 and a 3."

For the delusional or eternally hopeful: there's always the fan rumor mill.

...hypothetically...

Could a team, say, the Cleveland Browns, trade to the bottom of the 1st and 3rd rounds, pick up all sorts of other picks, and then sign Turner to an offer with a poison pill ("...and Michael Turner will be the highest paid RB on the team at the time of signing"...) and 'force' SD to take their bottom-of-the-round picks?

A first and a third rounder is compensation.

Just can't be a compensatory pick given by the league office.

Indy could theoretically trade the 32nd pick and the 96th pick for Turner.

(Not that they would, just using the 32nd pick as an example).

Add in a contract offer (poison pill) that San Diego won't match. Which they won't.

Edited by Riffraff