[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wheel of Time Series

cliaz

alright... I will leave myself open with this one... I was going to make it a post.. but figured that my reputation is pink and lacey enough...

so... I am kicking off a new game (roleplaying nerd here) and I need one more person to round things out... so I went to a lot of rpg boards and started collecting email addresses to see if I can find the right personality to fill this role...

well... we play a low fantasy game but when writing the email to all of these people - something happened (fingers don't always connect to the brain) I typed 'love fantasy game' .... rather than 'low fantasy game'

I did not notice until somebody got back to me this morning and said... sounds great... but um... what exactly is a 'love fantasy' game? dang, that must have seemed creepy. last thing you want is some guy you don't know inviting your to a 'love fantasy' game... and this freakin' email went out to like 20-30 people. le sigh.... day in the life and all...

Respond back and tell them that the first step is to put on your robe and wizard hat. :D

and... I have to assume that any fan of fantasy worth his 9th level erotisism spell and hat has to familiar with Eddings..... not too deep - but great characters with dialog that will make you laugh aloud

The Belgariad, the Mallorean, and the Elenium were all good series which I really enjoyed. However, his recent series The Dreamers absolutely stinks on ice. I finished the first book OK, was barely able to finish the second, and based on how the whole pattern is playing out with those books, absolutely refuse to read the 3rd or 4th books. Just a terrible job of writing in that series compared to his earlier work.

The Belgariad, the Mallorean, and the Elenium were all good series which I really enjoyed. However, his recent series The Dreamers absolutely stinks on ice. I finished the first book OK, was barely able to finish the second, and based on how the whole pattern is playing out with those books, absolutely refuse to read the 3rd or 4th books. Just a terrible job of writing in that series compared to his earlier work.

I couldn't agree more. The Elinium and Balgariad were great. Their squals - Tumlivois (or somesuch) and Mallorean were not as good. I didn't read polgara or belgariad. I tried that one standalone book he had - redemption of ath...whoever... and read the first book of the dreamers. no where close to the quality... I wonder if it is because he is now cowriting with is wife...

one other thing... no matter what the series... they all have the SAME EXACT formula (lovable childlike gods that need nurturing, prophesy, mortal chosen to be mega powerful, etc)... it was cool for the first few books - but enough already

Edited by Duchess Jack

Enjoy the alternate history Turtledove or Forstchen

Fantasy Fluff-Piers Anthony or Alan Dean Foster

and if you liked Goodkind, Eddings--try Tad Williams, Dennis McKiernan or Raymond Fiest they are all of the same ilk

i like fiest but never read the other 2 will check them out

Yes.

And this is despite the fact that I was extremely disappointed in book 4. He spent a whole book away from the best characters and storylines.

Granted, the book itself was fine, but it didn't meet my expectations for seeing certain plotlines. That said, all of those plotlines will now be merged into book 5, which should be stellar! :D

Best Fantasy Series I have Ever Read! I am currently plodding through the Terry Gookind Sword of Truth series. I'm currently halfway through book 4 "Temple of the Winds". Its okay but it seems that every book has sorta the same plotline: There is some object that is in the hands of Dr. Evil and Khalan, Richard and Zedd have to find said object or the its the end of the world. They all get seperated and somehow Richard manages to save the day. There are some nice plot twists and turns. I am enjoying the read.

The Song of Ice and Fire on the other hand is EPIC. If you like fantasy novels you are verrily missing out if you havent read this one. A Feast For Crows was kinda boring but it is a set up book for A Dance of Dragons. Just like Blood of the Fold is for Temple of the Winds. And if you look G.R.R. Martin's website, he originally intended to make Feast and Dragons one big book. And that would have been ONE BIG BOOK. So I forgive George. Here is his latest update for those that care:

DANCING IN THE DARK

I finally finished A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, but my dog ate the manuscript and there was no copy, so I'm starting over.

What, you don't believe me?

Okay, okay. We don't have a dog at present, and A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is not done.

I'm still writing. Certain storylines are going well. Others, not so much, but that's what rewriting is for, yes?

I have to admit, these updates aren't working the way I hoped they would. I started them in the hopes that they would help stem the flood of emails asking about the next book. They haven't. I get just as many emails, only now they're asking about the next update. Yes, I know I said I'd have an update in "early January," and January came and went and there was no update. I can read a calendar too. The reason there was no update...

Well, the book's not done. And we've had home renovations. And the book's not done. And there's been work on other projects, on comics and The World of Ice & Fire and the games and the new Wild Cards book, Inside Straight. And there was football, and cons to attend, and a signing tour, and the holidays, and did I mention those home renovations?

The truth is, these updates do make me feel like a twelve-year old trying to explain to teacher why he isn't turning in his essay, and knowing she isn't going to buy the "dog ate my homework" ruse any more than you guys do.

The only update that I want to write is the one that says, "A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is done." That's the one you want, and that's the one that I want to write... but when the book isn't done, having to come online and say so every few months becomes a stressful and unpleasant task. I really do appreciate the fact that so many people are so eager to read the next installment in A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE and I wish I could get it to you right now, but you guys read a lot faster than I can write.

When A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is finished, I will post that news here. The moment I finish the book, I will log on and make the announcement. If this message is still here, that means the book is not done yet. Until such time as I can trumpet that news, however, this page will remain the same.

The next update will be the one that announces that the DANCE is done.

—George R.R. Martin, February 15, 2007