[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here's a new challenge:

Here's another challenge for you folks, if you're bored & looking for something of interest:

I just rejoined a league that I had to quit 4 years ago because we opened our business. Now that I have more time on my hands, I'm taking over a team that has been run into the ground.

14 team IDP league, start 8 O players & 11 D players every week. Start 1 QB, 1-2 RBs, 2-4 WRs, & 1-2 TEs, 1 K Scoring is heavily weighted to O players, particularly QB, RB, & WR. D differentiates between DT & DE and between CB & S. Rosters are very thin at 40 active, 3 IR spots, & 3 PS spots.

On top of the roster below, the previous owner also traded away his first 4 rounds of the '07 rookie draft, meaning my first pick is in the 5th round.

Top 100 scorers in the league last year:

QB 28

RB 27

WR 30

TE 4

DE 1

LB 7

S 2

CB 1

The team I inherited:

QB

Manning, Eli NYG

Volek, Billy SDC

RB

Johnson, Rudi CIN

Bell, Tatum DEN

Morency, Vernand GBP

Perry, Chris CIN

WR

Holt, Torry STL

Johnson, Bryant ARI

Randle El, Antwaan WAS

Crayton, Patrick DAL

Baskett, Hank PHI

White, Roddy ATL

Lewis, Greg PHI

Wilson, Travis CLE

TE

Schobel, Matt PHI

Troupe, Ben TEN

K

Longwell, Ryan MIN

Reed, Jeff PIT

DT

Patterson, Mike PHI

Jenkins, Kris CAR

DE

Mathis, Robert IND

Anderson, Mark CHI

Edwards, Kalimba DET

Umenyiora, Osi NYG

Babin, Jason HOU DE

LB

Merriman, Shawne SDC

Witherspoon, Will STL

Peterson, Julian SEA

Hayes, Gerald ARI

Wimbley, Kamerion CLE

Tinoisamoa, Pisa STL

Hodge, Abdul GBP

CB

McAlister, Chris BAL

Trufant, Marcus SEA

Newman, Terence DAL

Miller, Justin NYJ CB

S

Phillips, Jermaine TBB

Manuel, Marquand GBP

Simpson, Ko BUF

Huff, Michael OAK

Allen, Jason MIA

Here's their rankings in scoring from last year:

18	Manning, Eli NYG QB	273.531	Holt, Torry STL WR	235.332	Johnson, Rudi CIN RB	234.7108	Merriman, Shawne SDC LB	148.5117	Bell, Tatum DEN RB	144.2124	Witherspoon, Will STL LB	141133	Phillips, Jermaine TBB S	139141	Peterson, Julian SEA LB	136181	Johnson, Bryant ARI WR	121193	Hayes, Gerald ARI LB	116211	Mathis, Robert IND DE	113212	McAlister, Chris BAL CB	113246	Wimbley, Kamerion CLE LB ®	107.5286	Randle El, Antwaan WAS WR	98.5287	Reed, Jeff PIT PK	98.5306	Crayton, Patrick DAL WR	95.6320	Anderson, Mark CHI DE ®	92322	Longwell, Ryan MIN PK	91.8354	Trufant, Marcus SEA CB	86355	Manuel, Marquand GBP S	85.5358	Simpson, Ko BUF S ®	85372	Morency, Vernand GBP RB	83.7382	Newman, Terence DAL CB	80423	Baskett, Hank PHI WR ®	74.4426	Huff, Michael OAK S ®	74442	Miller, Justin NYJ CB	72.5471	White, Roddy ATL WR	67.6484	Patterson, Mike PHI DT	66518	Lewis, Greg PHI WR	62.3547	Edwards, Kalimba DET DE	58562	Umenyiora, Osi NYG DE	56.5640	Jenkins, Kris CAR DT	47.5693	Tinoisamoa, Pisa STL LB	43.5697	Babin, Jason HOU DE	42.5720	Schobel, Matt PHI TE	40.4771	Troupe, Ben TEN TE	34.5874	Allen, Jason MIA S ®	24.5963	Hodge, Abdul GBP LB ®	191047	Perry, Chris CIN RB	13.51257	Wilson, Travis CLE WR ®	4.21433	Volek, Billy SDC QB	0.2

Here's what I see:

The D is solid & young. 3 very good LBs with a solid 4th. Solid DEs & S, also young. CBs are okay, DTs don't score enough to matter much.

Where the real trouble lies is on the O side, which is where a team can least afford to be weak. E Manning ranked 11th in QBs, making him a low starter/decent #2 QB , and there's no one behind him. The only RBs who have any value are the R Johnson/C Perry Tandem and some slight value of T Bell to the K Jones owner. Holt has great immediate value with other WRs of note being B Johnson & Roddy White being possible future #2/#3 WRs if they develop.

So, my thoughts are these:

I may as well keep my D intact & work around it. D players play longer than O players and may be in their prime with quite a few of the guys in 3-4 years.

E Manning has little to no trade value, as he scores low for QBs and Coughlin has really hindered him. I may as well hang onto him & see if he turns into something. Volek may have some very small trade value to the Rivers' owner - maybe ask a 6th rounder since he's not going to start for me & I'm not convinced he can play significantly at the NFL level anyhow.

The real issues are R Johnson & Holt. By the time this team is rebuilt, they'll be out of the league. I figure that I ought to get value for them right now while I can - which means I may be able to gain higher draft picks for these guys - maybe a mid-1st round rookie for Holt and a low 1st/high 2nd for the R Johnson/Perry tandem. T Bell ought to draw some interest from the K Jones owner, who only has Caddy Williams, Musa Smith, & Sammy Morris as his other RBs. I'd love to see if I could get his 3.03 for T Bell. I'd probably also be able to talk him out of Grossman, who is his 3rd QB behind Brees & Leinart.

That would give me a low 1st, a high 2nd, and maybe a high 3rd rounder to go with my 5th,6th, & 7th round picks this year.

By dumping R Johnson, Holt, & Bell for younger guys, I'd also probably help myself in getting higher picks next year in the draft.

Thoughts? Am I missing something? Am I overvaluing/undervaluing players with this strategy?

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think you have the right idea, but you are looking at a 2 to 3 year turn around at best unless you get increadibley lucky.

Couldn't agree more - I think I'm looking at a 3 year horizon, best case. Anythying else would be sheer luck in finding some real unexpected gems in the later rounds of the draft.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update:

Two trades so far:

1) Sent RB Tatum Bell to the K Jones owner for WR Bobby Wade and Year 2007 2.11

2) Sent RB Rudi Johnson, RB Chris Perry, WR Torry Holt, LB Gerald Hayes, 2007 5th round pick, 2008 4th round pick for WR Marques Colston, WR Jerry Porter, QB Dan Orlovsky, 2007 2.05, 2008 1st round pick

So now the team is decimated completely, but with the 2007 2.05, 2.11, 6.03, and 7.03 picks, and then what ought to be 1.01 and the rest of the 1st picks in every round except round 4 plus another first rounder next year.

I have NO experience with IDP but completely agree with the approach you are taking. NO doubt that the core of the players you moved (Rudi, Tinker, Torry) will be past their primes by the time this team becomes competitive. Building through the draft id the only way to get it done and getting those picks should help greatly.

I'm torn on trading Eli or holding on to him. You should try to move him and maybe you get lucky with someone biting and giving you more than he is worth. Maybe not now, but as you get closer to the playoffs and the better teams are looking for a solid backup/injury replacement.

Latest update:

Two trades so far:

1) Sent RB Tatum Bell to the K Jones owner for WR Bobby Wade and Year 2007 2.11

2) Sent RB Rudi Johnson, RB Chris Perry, WR Torry Holt, LB Gerald Hayes, 2007 5th round pick, 2008 4th round pick for WR Marques Colston, WR Jerry Porter, QB Dan Orlovsky, 2007 2.05, 2008 1st round pick

So now the team is decimated completely, but with the 2007 2.05, 2.11, 6.03, and 7.03 picks, and then what ought to be 1.01 and the rest of the 1st picks in every round except round 4 plus another first rounder next year.

That's all I needed to see to know that this team is on the way back, baby! :D

I'm torn on trading Eli or holding on to him. You should try to move him and maybe you get lucky with someone biting and giving you more than he is worth. Maybe not now, but as you get closer to the playoffs and the better teams are looking for a solid backup/injury replacement.

I've had a very good offer for him in exchange for draft picks, but they wouldn't be until 2008. That would leave me completely QB-less with only a hope of a rookie from the 2nd round this year breaking through to be a starter next year. The WW is empty of starters except for Garcia - and obviously he doesn't do me any good. That kind of risk doesn't appeal to me - it's too much and may leave me decimated at QB for years, or overpaying greatly to get even 1 starter.

Besides, I still think Eli can be a good QB once Coughlin is finally shown the door in NY. He's only entering his 4th year - which means his prime doesn't begin for another 2-3 years, and then he ought to be very solid for another few years after that, which fits my team's rehab timeline very well.

Well, I had an offer I couldn't resist any longer.

I gave up E Manning for the other team's 2008 1st round & 2nd round picks.

So I've purged myself of E Manning, R Johnson, Perry, Holt, & G Hayes plus my 2007 5th rounder and my 2008 4th rounder and picked up Colston, Porter, Wade, Orlovsky, (2) 2007 2nd rounders, (2) 2008 1st rounders, and (1) 2008 2nd rounder, in addition to my own 2008 1st rounder which is assured to be pick 1.01.

Looks like I'll need to spend my 2007 FA $$$ on Garcia to have a starting QB and then try to make the most of my (2) 2007 2nd rounders - because I won't see another pick until the 6th round in 2007. There's not much out there as far as competent WW FAs on O - the league scoring is very O heavy.

Well, I had an offer I couldn't resist any longer.

I gave up E Manning for the other team's 2008 1st round & 2nd round picks.

So I've purged myself of E Manning, R Johnson, Perry, Holt, & G Hayes plus my 2007 5th rounder and my 2008 4th rounder and picked up Colston, Porter, Wade, Orlovsky, (2) 2007 2nd rounders, (2) 2008 1st rounders, and (1) 2008 2nd rounder, in addition to my own 2008 1st rounder which is assured to be pick 1.01.

Looks like I'll need to spend my 2007 FA $$$ on Garcia to have a starting QB and then try to make the most of my (2) 2007 2nd rounders - because I won't see another pick until the 6th round in 2007. There's not much out there as far as competent WW FAs on O - the league scoring is very O heavy.

:D Well done! The way to rebuild is to stock up on draft picks...you've written as much yourself in plenty of posts. Keeping Manning would not have changed the results of this season too dramatically, so to pick up what you got, when you got it, is a coup IMHO.

Now, if the league scoring is O heavy, and you have some depth on D, why not move a defensive player for a younger offensive player you can use to build around? Maroney or an Addai, perhaps?

Now, if the league scoring is O heavy, and you have some depth on D, why not move a defensive player for a younger offensive player you can use to build around? Maroney or an Addai, perhaps?

I'd love to do that, but there isn't a chance in hell anyone is going to trade any O player of any value or strong potential for even the best LB in the league.

Shows you how little I know about IDP leagues... :D

It's just the way the league scores. It starts 6 skill players on O including a mandatory TE, but starts a full blown 11 man D, and the idea of the league scoring was to subtract an opponent's D scoring from a team's O scoring (and vice-versa) to get a result for that game for the week.

That means O really dominates, since negative cumulative scoring was considered highly undesireable when the league was started up.

Not all IDP leagues are so slanted to the O.

(For those that wonder) I just finished my first year in an IDP league and most are set up where the D is the same as the O. Where your top LB's are scoring like your top RB's and that is the only way you would trade a LB for a top RB.

I have no idea how you would do it but I think a QB like Leinart would fit perfectly into your team. Plus the team that has him also has Brees so you know he is their #2, at least I thought I read that. Other than that I like your D but it sounds like your scoring a D isn't going to help you until you get your O together. Would you or the Leinart owner consider one of your draft picks, maybe 2008 for Leinart?