[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACC Homers

godtomsatan

1 team in the Sweet 16 for the "best conference in college basketball"? :D

Right up there with the Big 10, so good company! :D

3 Pac-10 teams left. 3 for the SEC too.

2 each for the Big 12 and Big East.

1 team in the Sweet 16 for the "best conference in college basketball"? :D

Right up there with the Big 10, so good company! :tup:

3 Pac-10 teams left. 3 for the SEC too.

2 each for the Big 12 and Big East.

Taking it a step further didn't the ACC have the most teams in this thing. IMO if awards were given out today the SEC would again be the big winner. Only 5 teams invited to the big dance and 3 still remain standing. For a conference known for being the best football confernce in America, the SEC is making yet another strong statement on the BB courts. :D

Taking it a step further didn't the ACC have the most teams in this thing. IMO if awards were given out today the SEC would again be the big winner. Only 5 teams invited to the big dance and 3 still remain standing. For a conference known for being the best football confernce in America, the SEC is making yet another strong statement on the BB courts. :D

Yep - pretty clear outside of UNC - the ACC was mediocre this year. Some decent teams, but middle tier-type clubs.

The Big 10 - wow, I mean, OSU should not even be advancing.

I wll take it a step further RB, and give my Pac 10 the nod. 3 out of 10 teams in the conference- not too shabby.

I wll take it a step further RB, and give my Pac 10 the nod. 3 out of 10 teams in the conference- not too shabby.

And were a poorly managed last 4 minutes of regulation, and especially poorly managed final 20 seconds of double OT from advancing 4 teams. :D

I'll admit it's disapointing, but as a UNC fan, I feel this way pretty much every year. ACC teams play outstanding against the Heels, but generally underperform outside the conference. I would have figured at least 1 team out of Maryland, BC, VT and UVA would have moved on. I mean, if just one of them had won, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

To a certain extent, wildcat is right, that none of the other ACC teams were championship contenders, but they were solid teams that did deserve to make the tournament. Maybe, with hindsight, not Georgia Tech, but you could have easily substituted one of the other 3 ACC teams still playing in the NIT for them.

Oddly enough, of the PAC 10 teams, UCLA has looked the weakest and could already be home right now. Oregon and USC look good.

Of the 3 SEC teams, I still don't like Tenn. They just don't impress me. As we already know, anybody can beat UVA on any given day and Long Beach hardly even showed up to the tourney. Vandy and Fla are solid. I have Vandy upsetting GTown.

Give it one more round. The Big 12 will still have 2. The PAC 10, Big East, and SEC could all get reduced to 1.

Yep - pretty clear outside of UNC - the ACC was mediocre this year. Some decent teams, but middle tier-type clubs.

The Big 10 - wow, I mean, OSU should not even be advancing.

Based off the results we've seen so far top conferences would be

#1 SEC (five teams) 7-2 record

#2 Big 12 (four teams) 6-2

#3 Pac-10 (six teams) 7-3

Lots of games left to play, but gotta give the SEC some credit for BB of late especially when you consider they have the defending NC in their conference and put 2 teams in the Final Four last year.

Let's be serious though. I know everybody wants to look at the sweet 16 or final 4 and say "See, we got 2 out of 4, we're clearly the best."

There have been plenty of years when the ACC has had 2 of the final 4. The strength of the conference can be defined in many ways. Having quality teams from top to bottom is a good measure, and the ACC met that criteria. Out of 12 teams, 9 moved on to post season play. What if Wisconsin had won yesterday? Would you guys all be singing the praises of the Big 10? Of course not, so why does the number of teams in the Sweet 16 indicate the strengeth of a conference in one instance and not in another?

why does the number of teams in the Sweet 16 indicate the strengeth of a conference in one instance and not in another?

Because it's irrefutable and we can use it to needle you for having to listen to the ACC talk all season long. :D

Because it's irrefutable and we can use it to needle you for having to listen to the ACC talk all season long. :D

Is it our fault that there are more ACC fans here than any other conference?

Maybe it's not that the ACC as a league is better, we just have better fans than you do. :D

And for sheer title contenders, I would still say that the Big 12 has the drop on all of us. They have 2 legit contenders, SEC=1, ACC=1, Big East=1, Big 10=1. The Pac 10 gets a goose egg.

Billay pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you want to talk "best conference vs worst conference" you can't just use a single elimination tournament at the end of the year. You have to use the entire body of work and I think that the ACC has proven they are the best overall conference.

As for the tournament, sure it is disappointing not to have more than one team in the Sweet 16 but since when is that the determining line? Why not the Elite Eight or the Final Four? No way.

There are a thousand variables that determine who beats who on any given day and we could make valid points on either side as to the merits of each one. Duke lost to the only 11 seed who could have beaten them because they ran them all over the court and took advantage of their lack of depth. Could Winthrop, GW, or Stanford have played that style?? No shot. BC lost to arguably the best team in the country in Georgetown. VA lost at the buzzer on a missed three pointer. That's just some examples and there aren't enough hours in the day to argue them all.

There are six teams in the country that can merit "best team" potential. Ironically enough, there is one from each of the 6 power conferences. (Georgetown, UNC, OSU, UCLA, Kansas, & Florida). Everyone else that is left is simply along for the ride. Obviously all the teams left have played well enough to be there and deserve credit, but this year more than most, the cream of the crop have definitely separated from the rest.

And for sheer title contenders, I would still say that the Big 12 has the drop on all of us. They have 2 legit contenders, SEC=1, ACC=1, Big East=1, Big 10=1. The Pac 10 gets a goose egg.

:D This is crazy talk.....

You seriously not going to consider UCLA a title contender?? You are losing credibility with me if you honestly believe this.

The title contenders, in order IMO=

FLA - until they are beat they are #1

KU - looking tough

GT - looking tough

UCLA - defense is there, rest is coming

OSU - team of destiny maybe

UNC - not a believer in this team

A&M - putting them ahead of UCLA is ridiculous. UCLA would wax them -period. cute little team but not gonna get it done v. the big boys. After watching UT - the Big 12 is very very weak outside of KU.

on a side note- yer boys gonna be ready for USC?? gonna be a tough battler and I for one cannot wait to watch that game. SC is a tough, tough squad that will bloody Tyler and not think twice about it

Edited by wildcat2334

:D This is crazy talk.....

You seriously not going to consider UCLA a title contender?? You are losing credibility with me if you honestly believe this.

The title contenders, in order IMO=

FLA - until they are beat they are #1

KU - looking tough

GT - looking tough

UCLA - defense is there, rest is coming

OSU - team of destiny maybe

UNC - not a believer in this team

A&M - putting them ahead of UCLA is ridiculous. UCLA would wax them -period. cute little team but not gonna get it done v. the big boys. After watching UT - the Big 12 is very very weak outside of KU.

on a side note- yer boys gonna be ready for USC?? gonna be a tough battler and I for one cannot wait to watch that game. SC is a tough, tough squad that will bloody Tyler and not think twice about it

You're right, that 20 points they scored in the first half against Indiana was imposing. :D I did consider them a title contender until the tournament started. It's a little late in the game to be a work in progress. This was my concern about the Heels, but between winning the ACC tournament and their last 2 games, they seem to have righted the ship. Can you say the same for UCLA? Frankly, ORE and USC both look more prepared, and neither of them are going to get out of their region.

Yes, the USC-Heel matchup should be a good one. Hopefully the trojans will put up more of a fight than your Cats did. :shhhhh:

And as for bloodying Tyler Hansbrough? Been there, done that.

Edited by billay

You're right, that 20 points they scored in the first half against Indiana was imposing. :D I did consider them a title contender until the tournament started. It's a little late in the game to be a work in progress. This was my concern about the Heels, but between winning the ACC tournament and their last 2 games, they seem to have righted the ship. Can you say the same for UCLA? Frankly, ORE and USC both look more prepared, and neither of them are going to get out of their region.

Yes, the USC-Heel matchup should be a good one. Hopefully the trojans will put up more of a fight than your Cats did. :shhhhh:

And as for bloodying Tyler Hansbrough? Been there, done that.

UCLA hasn't looked great yet- but as we have seen before, top teams may struggle a bit, be tight early on b4 they hit their stride.

well USC is a group of men - not some soft ass Dookies, I guarantee Tyler would not come after Gibson :D The Brooklyn boy would dummy Hansboro- they will D up the Heels and turn into an ugly game. Taj Gibson is a beast in the paint. The USC G's and wings are outstanding. I don't think UNC has an answer for Young/Pruitt/Hackett/Stewart to be honest with ya. UNC will have the edge down low with Wright/Hansboro combo which they will need to try and use to their advantage.

No one in the ACC plays on the ball D, and d's up up guards as well as USC. Should be a heckuva game.

Maybe next year we should have a "PAC Ten" challenge?

It's funny. I was thinking the same thing. We did the ACC- Big East, won that. then we moved onto the Big-10. They hardly put up a fight. An ACC-SEC or ACC-Pac-10 challenge would be in order.