[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How I became a music pirate

loaf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what fair use is and it has nothing to do with you being able to rip cds into itunes. I told you about the specific statute that makes that legal and it covers whatever form you put the copies in and whatever machine you store them on. As long as the copies are for personal use. You could take a recording from a cd and record it on 8 track if it was for personal use. Or mp3 players, or yer computer, or another cd, or 1 million other cds, or itunes, or whatever.

As for legal challenges to the technology restrictions that are coming out now, I dont know. I think probably not, because you only have the right to copy things for personal use according to the terms of the agreement/license you agree to when you buy them. So, if content is sold in a new form of technology and only sold with terms that say it can be used with certain other technology, and those terms are clear and known to you before you purchase the item, you are bound by the terms. Even if without them you could make as many copies of the item for personal use as you wanted under the current law.

So, all of the dummies in the content industries who are putting those restrictions in place will lose in the end, because the marketplace will move in another direction if people dont agree to the terms they put in place.

:D

fwiw.....i think i've spent less than a hundred bucks on copyrighted music in the last year. this may seem like no big deal, but in years past i've spent well into the thousands. in large part, this reflects shifting personal interests and priorities....but on some level it also represents disgust with the entire industry.

fwiw.....i think i've spent less than a hundred bucks on copyrighted music in the last year. this may seem like no big deal, but in years past i've spent well into the thousands. in large part, this reflects shifting personal interests and priorities....but on some level it also represents disgust with the entire industry.

Plus you're maybe running out of gaps in your collection and the latest stuff is crap. :D

That sums up why the music industry will change.

That sums up why the music industry will change.

I actually hope it's why they die.

But their lobbyists keep spreading the message that piracy is killing them instead of their crappy business model, so as long as they still have money to bribe congress, they can blame their customers for their problems.

I actually hope it's why they die.

But their lobbyists keep spreading the message that piracy is killing them instead of their crappy business model, so as long as they still have money to bribe congress, they can blame their customers for their problems.

You know they wont die.

And, to be fair, piracy does hurt them. But it is only part of the problem. Their business model and attempts at control and monopoly are driving away their customers. The problem is that many of those customers are then becoming criminals who think that because they disapprove of a bad business model they can blatantly violate federal law. Lots of stupidity all around.

And, to be fair, piracy does hurt them. But it is only part of the problem. Their business model and attempts at control and monopoly are driving away their customers. The problem is that many of those customers are then becoming criminals who think that because they disapprove of a bad business model they can blatantly violate federal law. Lots of stupidity all around.

They are the AIDS patient, and piracy is the flu. It wouldn't be nearly so bad if they weren't already severely compromised.

Feeling great. How you doing? The wife brought home a 6 pack of Leinie's Sunset Wheat the other day and I thought of you. What are you up to?

just playin with the boys and working.... need the ice to melt so i can go fishen.... if u need some leinies let me know it will be in the mail the next day...