[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Baseball Help

Timmypg

I saw that you were next on the list for the auction league.

You joined the one I just joined.

I've never done Fantasy baseball and to top it off it's an auction league.

I've never even done an auction Football league.

I'm waiting on the same info you are.

I did find some stuff on yahoo that dealt with prices but I don't know if they are reliable.

I know there used to be a baseball site that was linked to from here but I don't see it anymore and don't know what the site's name was.

Wow, what are the odds? What team are you?

I've never done an auction league either so I'm guessing I'm in trouble. I'm cheap by nature so I don't see me getting the studs.

I'm beginner's luck.

Tried to think of what you guys will be saying after I win it all. :D

You can get a decent amount of free information from Sportsline, ESPN's website or even Yahoo. Not the best, but not bad for free. At least it will be more current than buying a fantasy baseball magazine that's at least a month old and won't contain any recent injury information, etc. I participated in an auction 2-3 weeks ago where we also had $260 to spend. Ours was AL only, and the studs that went early (Santana, Ortiz, etc.) went for a pretty high price ($30+ and I think Santana was closer to $40). What was interesting was that a lot of what I would consider to be 2nd tier guys at their position went for $20-25, while quite a few guys rated slightly below that went VERY cheap (less than $10 in some cases). That's the beauty of an auction.....If you want the best at a particular position, you're going to have to pay for it. If you're willing to wait on a 2nd or 3rd tier guy, however, you may be able to get him very cheap.

My advice would be to look at the positions where there is the greatest dropoff between tiers (2B, SS come to mind) and try to get a stud at one or two of those positions (Jeter, Tejada, B. Roberts). The positions with more depth (1B, OF) you can wait on and save some dollars. That doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't bid on a 1B or OF early, though. If everyone is thinking the same thing, you may have to throw in a bid or two just to keep everyone "honest."

By the end of our auction, there were quite a few guys going for just $1, and some of them were pretty good value players. It just came down to who waited for what on their rosters. In some cases, everyone else had that position filled and guys that should have gone for $10 were going for a dollar or two.

Also, draft as many pitchers as you can. More than likely, a couple of them will pleasantly surprise, and the ones that don't can be dropped so you can acquire other needs through free agency.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Gopher

Thanks Gopher :D

The biggest hurdle I've got to overcome is never doing a fantasy auction at all.

Not even for football.

Got to learn how to do baseball and an auction.

I'm not sure I'm bright enough for that. :D

Edited by REZ