[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The surge in action

skins

I can't be 100% sure, but I might have driven right past The Minaret in this picture. I actually have a picture of it myself. If it's the same one I'm surprised it's still there since the time I saw it in 2003. They usually play this loud "music" (need Real Player to hear it) through the speaker's at the top during parts of the day. Obviously that might not be the exact type of music, but you get the idea.

I can't be 100% sure, but I might have driven right past The Minaret in this picture. I actually have a picture of it myself. If it's the same one I'm surprised it's still there since the time I saw it in 2003. They usually play this loud "music" (need Real Player to hear it) through the speaker's at the top during parts of the day. Obviously that might not be the exact type of music, but you get the idea.

Do you think Yon is getting it right?

Do you think Yon is getting it right?

To a certain extent he might be on the right track. He didn't really offer any sort of strict message or solution, so it'll be interesting to see what "part two" looks like. I do think the U.S. Soldiers who're protecting this particular school are doing a great job and should keep up the good work. :D

To a certain extent he might be on the right track. He didn't really offer any sort of strict message or solution, so it'll be interesting to see what "part two" looks like. I do think the U.S. Soldiers who're protecting this particular school are doing a great job and should keep up the good work. :D

Well, he rarely addresses policy, and only when it directly impacts what is happening in theater in front of him. He is more a boots on the ground chronicler.

Those guys are going to be in that college for 6-12 months, it seems, from the article. They are basically an outpost in an Iraqi neighborhood. The local US fort, essentially.

When I asked if he was getting it right, I meant, did you--someone who has been there--think his portrayal was a useful one in terms of providing us with valuable information?

Those guys are going to be in that college for 6-12 months, it seems, from the article. They are basically an outpost in an Iraqi neighborhood. The local US fort, essentially.

This is the current tactic and it is working in many places. Soldiers stay in the neighborhood outpost right in the middle of the local populace, who give them information. It's working especially well in Anbar.

This is the current tactic and it is working in many places. Soldiers stay in the neighborhood outpost right in the middle of the local populace, who give them information. It's working especially well in Anbar.

Why did we wait until 4 years in to apply counterinsurgency tactics? Brilliant.

Well, he rarely addresses policy, and only when it directly impacts what is happening in theater in front of him. He is more a boots on the ground chronicler.

When I asked if he was getting it right, I meant, did you--someone who has been there--think his portrayal was a useful one in terms of providing us with valuable information?

Definitely, yes! :D I've actually already bookmarked the link you gave me, but I'll let you post it in the tailgate here before I read it. :D

To contrast the beauty and serenity of Iraq.

Iraq is actually a beautiful country. That is, until Saddam decided to put a dam on many of the rivers to block southern Iraq from receiving water. He literally destroyed what used to be "green" land and turned it into a desolate, dry area cut-off from resources they needed. For example, Ur is one of the more famous cities ruined under Saddam's regime.

Iraq is actually a beautiful country. That is, until Saddam decided to put a dam on many of the rivers to block southern Iraq from receiving water. He literally destroyed what used to be "green" land and turned it into a desolate, dry area cut-off from resources they needed. For example, Ur is one of the more famous cities ruined under Saddam's regime.

Shhhh! You are denigrating one of the hero's of the Democratic Party! :D

have u ever been in the western united states????

there be a few dams out there

I think you missed my point. Those dams in the United States are not cutting off the direct supply of water to its citizens. The US has dams for reasons that are not used as "punishment", which Saddam did to punish the Kurdish and Shia Iraqi citizens.