[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tax and Spend Lib...Typical

Bocephus

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Casey wants higher tax on oil profits

Thursday, April 26, 2007

By Jerome L. Sherman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Bob Casey today called for a hefty new tax on oil company profits that would fund a program aimed at helping low-income families pay for their transportation costs.

The Pennsylvania Democrat also said he would seek the repeal of major tax breaks for oil companies. That money, he said, would help finance research into alternative fuel sources.

Mr. Casey, joined by fellow freshman lawmakers, was critical of President Bush's handling of energy issues, saying the administration has been too close to oil companies and had done little to help families struggling with high gas prices.

"Here's what you hear from the Bush-Cheney big oil conglomerate: They say you have it wrong. Everything is wonderful. We have to continue the tax breaks for millionaires," Mr. Casey said. "And if you happen to be a billionaire who owns an oil company, you get another break -- you get big oil tax credits and subsidies."

Mr. Casey said gas prices have risen by 20 cents a gallon in the past month.

His proposed tax, part of legislation introduced today, would kick in when oil prices top $50 a barrel. At that point, the government would tax 50 percent of an oil company's profits. Oil prices currently are about $65 per barrel, Mr. Casey said.

The new tax revenue would fund a program that the senator compared to LIHEAP, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. It would help low-income families pay for gas for their cars.

I wonder what happens to those poor low income people when the price of gas doubles because of this propoesed tax. Great idea libs.

I'll happily chime in on what I think the merits of this idea are. You'll just have to do better than a Diktart Notes version of your story and post an actual link with actual details.

That budget is pretty sorry.

If I were in charge (and I'm not), I'd decrease and reorganize the current budget of $2,782.2 billion to $2,650 billion... and it could / should be split thusly:

* $1,200 billion - Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and other health related, including Veterans Benefits -- new title "Sustaining Benefits to Veterans, Seniors and the Disabled" (was $1,329.6 billion) -- savings through the consolidation of a handful of government run health care facilities and the competitive bidding of perscription drugs

* $550 billion - Defense and administration of justice (was $509.5 billion) -- protect our children; defend our interests here and abroad (including our borders)

* $250 billion - Education and training, science and technology (was $114.9 billion) -- we're falling behind in this area, some of this to be spent to increase the skills of the lower-end of the work force to make them incrementally upwardly mobile

* $250 billion - Interest on debt (was $243.7 billion) -- no real change

* $200 billion - Unemployment and welfare (was $367 billion) -- move spending from here to training, education and technology; help these people get jobs

* $150 billion - Transportation, Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment, Energy and Commuinity and regional development -- new title "Citizen-Owned Resource Development & Management" (was $164.7 billion) -- all of these areas benefit the local citizens and the needs vary greatly from one area of the country to another ... some of this is paid out to the states for them to decide what help the local citizens the most

* $50 billion - General Government and Foreign affairs (was $52.6 billion) -- how we interact with other countries directly impacts what sort of 'general government' expense we need to bear; I see these as linked expenses

...then...

Next year, my budget would drop another $50 billion to $2.6 trillion and would look a little like this:

* $1,150 billion - Sustaining Benefits to Veterans, Seniors and the Disabled (was $1,200 billion) -- continued savings through the consolidation of a handful of government run health care facilities and the competitive bidding of perscription drugs

* $550 billion - Defense and administration of justice (was $550 billion) -- no real change

* $300 billion - Education and training, science and technology (was $250 billion) -- continued increases in training and research

* $225 billion - Interest on debt (was $250 billion) -- a smaller budget plus increases in cash flow resulted in a retirement of some government debt and therefore lower interest payments

* $175 billion - Unemployment and welfare (was $200 billion) -- increase the velocity of innovative programs allowing the unemployed and welfare recipients to do things of economic value for our country; some of the training programs above offset some of this decrease in the budget

* $150 billion - Transportation, Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment, Energy and Commuinity and regional development -- new title "Citizen-Owned Resource Development & Management" (was $150 billion) -- no real change

* $50 billion - General Government and Foreign affairs (was $50 billion) -- no real change

...if I was in charge...

Edited by muck

That budget is pretty sorry.

If I were in charge (and I'm not), I'd decrease and reorganize the current budget of $2,782.2 billion to $2,650 billion... and it could / should be split thusly:

* $1,200 billion - Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and other health related, including Veterans Benefits -- new title "Sustaining Benefits to Veterans, Seniors and the Disabled" (was $1,329.6 billion) -- savings through the consolidation of a handful of government run health care facilities and the competitive bidding of perscription drugs

* $550 billion - Defense and administration of justice (was $509.5 billion) -- protect our children; defend our interests here and abroad (including our borders)

* $250 billion - Education and training, science and technology (was $114.9 billion) -- we're falling behind in this area, some of this to be spent to increase the skills of the lower-end of the work force to make them incrementally upwardly mobile

* $250 billion - Interest on debt (was $243.7 billion) -- no real change

* $200 billion - Unemployment and welfare (was $367 billion) -- move spending from here to training, education and technology; help these people get jobs

* $150 billion - Transportation, Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment, Energy and Commuinity and regional development -- new title "Citizen-Owned Resource Development & Management" (was $164.7 billion) -- all of these areas benefit the local citizens and the needs vary greatly from one area of the country to another ... some of this is paid out to the states for them to decide what help the local citizens the most

* $50 billion - General Government and Foreign affairs (was $52.6 billion) -- how we interact with other countries directly impacts what sort of 'general government' expense we need to bear; I see these as linked expenses

...then...

Next year, my budget would drop another $50 billion to $2.6 trillion and would look a little like this:

* $1,150 billion - Sustaining Benefits to Veterans, Seniors and the Disabled (was $1,200 billion) -- continued savings through the consolidation of a handful of government run health care facilities and the competitive bidding of perscription drugs

* $550 billion - Defense and administration of justice (was $550 billion) -- no real change

* $300 billion - Education and training, science and technology (was $250 billion) -- continued increases in training and research

* $225 billion - Interest on debt (was $250 billion) -- a smaller budget plus increases in cash flow resulted in a retirement of some government debt and therefore lower interest payments

* $175 billion - Unemployment and welfare (was $200 billion) -- increase the velocity of innovative programs allowing the unemployed and welfare recipients to do things of economic value for our country; some of the training programs above offset some of this decrease in the budget

* $150 billion - Transportation, Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment, Energy and Commuinity and regional development -- new title "Citizen-Owned Resource Development & Management" (was $150 billion) -- no real change

* $50 billion - General Government and Foreign affairs (was $50 billion) -- no real change

...if I was in charge...

I think there's actually hugh savings to be made in defense if anyone can make a concerted enough effort to finally audit the Pentagon properly.

I'd also make welfare receipt contingent on attending training, as far as possible.

I really like the drug prices thing - why not let the government negotiate prices like every other place does?

I think there's actually hugh savings to be made in defense if anyone can make a concerted enough effort to finally audit the Pentagon properly.

I'd also make welfare receipt contingent on attending training, as far as possible.

I really like the drug prices thing - why not let the government negotiate prices like every other place does?

The heavily influenced by big spam lobbyists administrators of the program claim that no real savings would result. They claim the market will determine the price through supply and demand even though their demand does not change no matter the price. If that's not "voodoo economics" and "fuzzy math", I don't know what is.