[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cleanse For Life Diet

pork chop express

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A person's body doesn't need to get used to eating healthier or less.

It is a person's brain that needs the help. If you goofballs need to trick yourself into thinking that this sort of harmful initiation is what is needed to switch over to a healthier life-style, so be it. But it is really only a gimmick.

For someone who can often be counted on for level headed posts, you have an odd habit of conveniently translating what someone says to fit your predetermined opinion. I don't cleanse to "trick" my body, I do it because it makes me feel better. Once again, how the f do you know? Have you done it?

Do you expect me to ignore the fact that I have personal experience with how much better I've felt after having done so and listen to your "reason"? I could give two craps if any of you want to do it or not. Really, do your thing, but kindly spare me your diagnosis.

Stick to econ, blow-hard know-it-tall doesn't suit you very well.

Just a general science tip: if the explanation of how something health-related works uses the word "toxins" (especially in conjunction with the word "purging"), it's usually a boatload of pseudoscience crap.

Fasting in and of itself would seem as likely to harm one's long-term weight loss efforts as much as it would help them, because of the negative metobolic reaction to having no food. The body usually adapts to that pretty quickly, and in a way that doesn't help fat burning.

For folks like detlef who this program works for, I would bet that the weight loss results come from the responsible eating and lifestyle changes after the purge.

For someone who can often be counted on for level headed posts, you have an odd habit of conveniently translating what someone says to fit your predetermined opinion.

exactly what part of this:

It does a good job of jump starting me, getting the body used to eating healthier, and less

did I mistranslate with this:

:D

(And I would love to see some links to legitimate doctors who advocate this sort of diet.)

Fasting in and of itself would seem as likely to harm one's long-term weight loss efforts as much as it would help them, because of the negative metobolic reaction to having no food. The body usually adapts to that pretty quickly, and in a way that doesn't help fat burning.

For folks like detlef who this program works for, I would bet that the weight loss results come from the responsible eating and lifestyle changes after the purge.

Couldn't agree more.

(And I would love to see some links to legitimate doctors who advocate this sort of diet.)

Well, you did say goofballs, didn't you? Kindly point to where I implied as much.

As for Dr. Love. I'm not giving the fast credit for how I felt weeks later, I'm giving the fast credit for how I felt the second morning and the morning after I ended it. My eyes seem clearer, my skin feels better, my wife mentions that I look better.

Honestly, I find it humorous how hard you guys are fighting against this. Again, eat 3 freaking pizzas a day for all I care. You're not going to get an argument from me that fasting is better than just eating healthy and working out, 'cause it's not.

I do know this, I have spent significant amounts of time in my life when I've kept it very clean and been in top shape for months on end. In the middle of those periods, I've done cleanses and felt significantly better upon doing so. From that empirical evidence, should I take it that they were beneficial to me, or should I listen to you guys? Honestly, I'm torn here. Please advise me oh wise ones.

From that empirical evidence, should I take it that they were beneficial to me, or should I listen to you guys? Honestly, I'm torn here. Please advise me oh wise ones.

Well, you could read up on the placebo effect or how starvation can make a person delusional.

goofball

Well, you could read up on the placebo effect or how starvation can make a person delusional.

goofball

The placebo effect is a fine enough theory, though I still can't get past the following:

Person 1 does a cleanse and thinks he feels better.

Person 2 doesn't do a cleanse and tells person 1 it is all in his head.

Really, if you aren't going to take person 1's word for it, why the hell are you going to take person 2's?

The placebo effect is a fine enough theory, though I still can't get past the following:

Person 1 does a cleanse and thinks he feels better.

Person 2 doesn't do a cleanse and tells person 1 it is all in his head.

Really, if you aren't going to take person 1's word for it, why the hell are you going to take person 2's?

I'm not asking people to take my word for it--I'm asking for them to look at actual medical research to see if it supports the claims made by the "cleansers".

I am not gonna get into mind/body semantincs- but yeah, the body does get used to eating less, whenever I am eating healthy, and less food it takes a while for the stomach, i.e. body to adjust.

It has benefits, and similar to what Det said- I have slept better, looked better, and felt totaly rejuvinized - which I know from personal experience. Not advocating it as a complete weight loss system or anything.

Plenty of alternative health methods, lifestyles that are completely healthy and effective no matter what traditional MD's have to say.

Come on the whole health/medical profession is an evolving science, these MD'shava a different opinion every year based off studies. The reality is, anyone who isn't open to alternative health, and other methods different than traditional western dogma is a fool.

It is a person's brain that needs the help. If you goofballs need to trick yourself into thinking that this sort of harmful initiation is what is needed to switch over to a healthier life-style, so be it. But it is really only a gimmick.

Forgive me but statements like this sort of imply that you claim to know what you're talking about.

Forgive me but statements like this sort of imply that you claim to know what you're talking about.

well, apparently, I do:

Detox diets: Do they offer any health benefits?

Do detox diets offer any health benefits?

Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist Michael Picco, M.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

Answer

Detoxification, or detox, diets are touted by many as a way to remove "toxins" from the body. This practice stems from the belief that the food you consume contains a range of harmful substances, which accumulate in your body, causing fatigue, headaches, nausea and even disease. But there is no evidence that this is true or that detox diets have any health benefits. Also, in some cases, detox diets can have harmful side effects.

Detox diets vary. But the basic premise is to temporarily give up certain foods that are thought to contain "toxins," such as meat, sugar, certain grains, dairy and caffeine. Detox diets typically start with fasting followed by a strict diet of raw vegetables, fruit and fruit juices and water. In addition, some detox diets advocate using herbal laxatives, antioxidants and colon cleansing (enemas) to help "clean" out the intestine and liver. The duration of such regimens often ranges from seven to 10 days.

Some people report they feel better, "lighter," and more focused and energetic during and after detox diets. This may be due to their belief that they are doing something good for their body. But it may also be due to not eating much — if anything — for more than several days. Calorie restriction can lead to heightened feelings of psychological well-being.

However, there is no evidence that detox diets actually remove toxins from the body. Most toxins in the body are very efficiently and effectively removed by the kidneys and liver and excreted in urine and stool.

Early side effects of fasting include headaches. Prolonged fasting or severe calorie restriction can result in anemia, low blood sugar and irregular heartbeat. Before going on a fast or detox diet, talk to your doctor.

The best diet is one based on fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean sources of protein and unsaturated fats. Add regular exercise and stress reduction techniques, and you have a solid foundation for good health.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/detox-diets/AN01334

Some people report they feel better, "lighter," and more focused and energetic during and after detox diets. This may be due to their belief that they are doing something good for their body. But it may also be due to not eating much — if anything — for more than several days. Calorie restriction can lead to heightened feelings of psychological well-being.

Wow, if that's your idea of irrefutable evidence, then I'm going to quit taking much of what you say seriously.

This may be due...But it may also be due...Calorie restriction can lead to heightened feelings

This may be due...But it may also be due...Calorie restriction can lead to heightened feelings

which matches up with this:

Wow, if that's your idea of irrefutable evidence, then I'm going to quit taking much of what you say seriously.

I cite someone at the Mayo Clinic who is basically calling these diets a scam and you don't think the cite is credible? Fine with me.

But it may also be due to not eating much — if anything — for more than several days. Calorie restriction can lead to heightened feelings of psychological well-being.

i think this is true, and i think it's one reason why mystics for ages have used fasting for periods to achieve heightened spiritual awareness and the like.

which matches up with this:

I cite someone at the Mayo Clinic who is basically calling these diets a scam and you don't think the cite is credible? Fine with me.

I'm not claiming the Mayo clinic isn't credible, rather that they are hardly speaking as if they're 100% sure of their conclusion on the matter.

Here's what is funny to me. Somebody posts about a cleanse. As I can recall, nobody with any specific experience cleansing has anything bad to say about it but a bunch of guys who haven't are making a pretty big deal about it. Meanwhile, neither of us with experience is saying anything more than, "It works for me". I'm not suggesting that anyone do it, just saying, "It works for me".

Why do you have such a hard-on for trying to prove that these cleanses don't work? Between the two of us one of us is hell bent on telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing and one of us is simply saying, "It works for me".

Had some buddies try that cleanse and it worked, but then didn't work in the long run and what a bunch of baffoons while they were doing it. "Don't eat that around me!!"(yeah right) "All I get is these freakin' almonds!!"(bummer fool). They gained the weight back and the only thing they really accomplished is blowing up and clogging up and and all toilets they were around

2 day cleanses only and that is done with many different "green" type supplements. Then you are only to eat very light on the third day. Again mostly veggie based meals.

If you want to lose weight safely and cleanse try to cut out ALL red meat and carbonated beverages for a month. Good for you in many ways and hey, you're still eating and drinking. Though when I do the red meat fast I always become passive around the second week(I don't like that).

The best way to lose weight and keep it off is controlling the mind as Weigie said. I've seen hypnosis work wonders on many people and the only real problem I observed with this is that the patients have to force themselves to eat, literally. Which in the long run also seems a bit crazed and dangerous to me. Precursor to eating disorders etc.?

Eating EVERYTHING in moderation and most days and years you stay on a even keel without too many peaks or valleys.

Now off to cook a couple burgers that look just like my avy...... yummy. Maybe I'll even have an almond or two to go with them :D