[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To the smokers... that want to quit.

Thews40

I am not a smoker and never have been, but I have been around the block enough to see the obvious link between drinking and smoking. I know many would rather be dead then do this, but maybe quiting drinking (even casually) would help kick the smoking habit... just a thought. It's not connected for everyone, but I'm sure it is for many.

I quit for 15 months, and started back up 2 years ago today, weird I see this thread first thing this morning. The reason I respond to this response is that this is how I quit, well backwards anyway. I didn't WANT to quit, but my wife wanted me to and my son wanted me to. I quit for them basically. I liked to have a few beers every night winding down before I went to bed. So I quit cold turkey one night when my wife was all upset crying and worried she'd die alone. The way I quit............I got hammered for 4 or 5 nights in a row. I figured if it was gonna suck, it was gonna really suck......and trust me it SUCKED! After about day 10 the cravings really decreased and by day 21 I was only thinking about one maybe once a day or not at all. I always knew however that I'd start again and that's because I never wanted to quit, and whenever I smelled one it didn't stink, it made me want one. Well after being smoke free for 15 months there were some problems in the house and I went out with a group of friends (all smokers of course) and I MADE them give me one, it was either they gave me one or I went across the bar and asked someone else for one. Of course that led to about 8 that night and me buying a pack the next morning and here we are.

I am going to quit again. I WANT TO QUIT! That's the big difference. I see later in this thread where Thews mentions replacing the addiction with another addiction, and that's exactly what I plan on doing. I switch hours after my son is done with School (this Friday) and go back from 6-3 to 8-5. I plan on only getting one more hour of sleep and getting up an hpur early everyday to excercise. Now some may say that's going to be hard to do, but I used to be a workout junkie and ran about 5 miles everyday from the age of 10-18 (started smoking when I was 14, but not consistently until i was 16). I am going to do it, I have the experience from last time and help from all of you last time. Anotherr saving grace for me was www.whyquit.com this site has every possible question answered and all facts that you can imagine. If I could recommend any advice to someone who wants to quity or is trying to quit, go to that site....its helped tons of others and will help many more, including me. So while I believe setting a starting date to quit is a bad idea, that's the way I roll. I'm ready to begin my smoke free smoker life starting Monday, Sega! maybe Sunday.

FWIW, I dont plan on trying the drinking thing again :D I'm just going to quit that too, at least until I have quit for a couple months. I quit drinking pop/soda 7 weeks ago in preperation for this, caffeine keeps nicotine and other drugs in the system longer, plus it was just another thing I had to have. One down, two more to go.

Good luck Thews and everyone, we f'n need it, just keep telling that monkey to shut the f**k up.

I quit for 15 months, and started back up 2 years ago today, weird I see this thread first thing this morning. The reason I respond to this response is that this is how I quit, well backwards anyway. I didn't WANT to quit, but my wife wanted me to and my son wanted me to. I quit for them basically. I liked to have a few beers every night winding down before I went to bed. So I quit cold turkey one night when my wife was all upset crying and worried she'd die alone. The way I quit............I got hammered for 4 or 5 nights in a row. I figured if it was gonna suck, it was gonna really suck......and trust me it SUCKED! After about day 10 the cravings really decreased and by day 21 I was only thinking about one maybe once a day or not at all. I always knew however that I'd start again and that's because I never wanted to quit, and whenever I smelled one it didn't stink, it made me want one. Well after being smoke free for 15 months there were some problems in the house and I went out with a group of friends (all smokers of course) and I MADE them give me one, it was either they gave me one or I went across the bar and asked someone else for one. Of course that led to about 8 that night and me buying a pack the next morning and here we are.

I am going to quit again. I WANT TO QUIT! That's the big difference. I see later in this thread where Thews mentions replacing the addiction with another addiction, and that's exactly what I plan on doing. I switch hours after my son is done with School (this Friday) and go back from 6-3 to 8-5. I plan on only getting one more hour of sleep and getting up an hpur early everyday to excercise. Now some may say that's going to be hard to do, but I used to be a workout junkie and ran about 5 miles everyday from the age of 10-18 (started smoking when I was 14, but not consistently until i was 16). I am going to do it, I have the experience from last time and help from all of you last time. Anotherr saving grace for me was www.whyquit.com this site has every possible question answered and all facts that you can imagine. If I could recommend any advice to someone who wants to quity or is trying to quit, go to that site....its helped tons of others and will help many more, including me. So while I believe setting a starting date to quit is a bad idea, that's the way I roll. I'm ready to begin my smoke free smoker life starting Monday, Sega! maybe Sunday.

FWIW, I dont plan on trying the drinking thing again :D I'm just going to quit that too, at least until I have quit for a couple months. I quit drinking pop/soda 7 weeks ago in preperation for this, caffeine keeps nicotine and other drugs in the system longer, plus it was just another thing I had to have. One down, two more to go.

Good luck Thews and everyone, we f'n need it, just keep telling that monkey to shut the f**k up.

Good luck to you too. Pick a target date on post it in here... it helps. When I decide to quit, I tell everyone I know what I'm doing. That way, if I cave, I have to confess multiple times. I'm on day two without a nail and started the hocking up phase this morning. This usually lasts for a few days after I stop and my lungs get back to normal. Thanks for all the support.

Good luck to you too. Pick a target date on post it in here... it helps. When I decide to quit, I tell everyone I know what I'm doing. That way, if I cave, I have to confess multiple times. I'm on day two without a nail and started the hocking up phase this morning. This usually lasts for a few days after I stop and my lungs get back to normal. Thanks for all the support.

If you stay smoke free for 1 year I will give you $100. Mark it down Big John.

But you have to be totally honest about it.

Thanks, but I won't need the incentive. A person has to really want to stop to actually stop doing it. Big test tonight in making it through day #2... must ...not ...fail.

This should help out all of your smokers who want to quit cold turkey:

facts about quitting smoking

Reminds me of the cadaver I dissected in medical school. He was a long-time smoker, and when I cut his lungs open, they looked like that picture! Gross!! :D

Reminds me of the cadaver I dissected in medical school. He was a long-time smoker, and when I cut his lungs open, they looked like that picture! Gross!! :D

How many years would you say this guy was smoking?

How many years would you say this guy was smoking?

He was a professor and committed suicide when he was about 50 (the story made the paper in Chicago). I figured he smoked about 25-30 years.

He was a professor and committed suicide when he was about 50 (the story made the paper in Chicago). I figured he smoked about 25-30 years.

heh, meant the lungs from the picture I posted.

I quit a year ago May 11th. Smoked for 30+ years. Good luck Thews it can be done.

Congrats on 1 year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is huge!

Thanks, but I won't need the incentive. A person has to really want to stop to actually stop doing it. Big test tonight in making it through day #2... must ...not ...fail.

Take the money and donate it your favorite charity. If he wants to offer it, take it! :D

This should help out all of your smokers who want to quit cold turkey:

facts about quitting smoking

For that kind of motivation, whyquit.com has much better pictures, with stories and all kinds of stuff ... link

A lot of people also like this online tutorial for motivation ... quitsmokingonline.com

Both sites are free and don't sell anything (that I know of) ...

Want to extend the offer? :D

Both sites are free and don't sell anything (that I know of) ...

Yup, not that I know of either. Both are very good resources for quitting. They really do help.

I smoked for about 12 years. Quit about 3-4 years ago (has it been that long??). I still know that I can't even allow myself to "just have one" as I know that will put me right back on the path to smoking everyday again. The hardest part by far is convincing yourself that you're going to eventually have to be able to get thru "events" in life without smoking. Ie. there's always going to be a bachelor party, golf trips etc.. that you were used to chain-smoking at. If you allow yourself to continue to smoke on "special occasions" like those mentioned above you'll never really quit for good.

Go to the Doctor and request Chantrex (not sure about the spelling).

It works.

Good info here. My bio-father smoked for 30+ years 2 packs a day. Hard two heart attacks and the DR gave him this stuff. He quit and hasn't smoked since.