[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

draft strategies

this might have been discussed in the past, and if it has been, i apologize

I always hear that when you draft, you should focus on RBs. I hear RBs can help your team win games and RBs win championships. So in the past, when I have drafted, I always got at least 2 RBs in the first 3 rounds and by doing this, i'm usually stuck with lackluster WRs. Even though I've done ok, i haven't won a championship yet. My RBs do well, but I have trouble deciding on which WR to start, which usually screws me over.

So my question is, what strategies does everyone else use? This year, I'm going to try and draft a top tier WR instead of trying to get depth at RB. Hopefully my team will be better balanced and maybe this is my year...

What part of the draft are you picking from (early, mid, late)? and how many teams?

While your first pick should always be a RB, I feel that RBs are a little deeper now than they have been in the past. Therefore, I wouldn't pass on a stud WR for a RB that I feel unsure of. However if I am picking towards the end of the 1st round and can get 2 RBs, I will.

Last year, I had the #2 overall pick and went RB, WR, WR and landed Tomlinson, CJ, and Marvin Harrison with my first 3 picks because I wasn't high on some of the RBs coming back to me in rd 2. Needless to say it worked well.

What part of the draft are you picking from (early, mid, late)? and how many teams?

While your first pick should always be a RB, I feel that RBs are a little deeper now than they have been in the past. Therefore, I wouldn't pass on a stud WR for a RB that I feel unsure of. However if I am picking towards the end of the 1st round and can get 2 RBs, I will.

Last year, I had the #2 overall pick and went RB, WR, WR and landed Tomlinson, CJ, and Marvin Harrison with my first 3 picks because I wasn't high on some of the RBs coming back to me in rd 2. Needless to say it worked well.

I'm in an 8 team keeper league. Each team can keep 1 player and the rookies that were on your team. This year I have the 7th overall pick and I have SJax, Maroney, and Colston.

In previous years, especially with redraft leagues, I would usually drat 2 RBs in the first 2 rounds, which is where i ususally ran into the problem i explained

In previous years, especially with redraft leagues, I would usually drat 2 RBs in the first 2 rounds, which is where i ususally ran into the problem i explained

I believe that drafting RB-RB usually works pretty well, but it shouldn't be followed religiously. If coming back in the 2nd round you have the choice between a 3rd tier RB and a stud WR, I would take the stud WR.

In an 8 team league RB depth isn't nearly as important as in a 12 team league. The key in an 8 team league is to try to get the most studs you can at every position. Depth will be easy to come by later on. Therefore, a RB-RB strategy is even less critical in smaller leagues.

I believe that drafting RB-RB usually works pretty well, but it shouldn't be followed religiously. If coming back in the 2nd round you have the choice between a 3rd tier RB and a stud WR, I would take the stud WR.

In an 8 team league RB depth isn't nearly as important as in a 12 team league. The key in an 8 team league is to try to get the most studs you can at every position. Depth will be easy to come by later on. Therefore, a RB-RB strategy is even less critical in smaller leagues.

I agree. This year, i'm just going to try and balance my team instead of being stacked at one position.

Last year, I kept SJax and got Willie Parker with my first round pick. However, everyone else pretty much drafted receivers in the first round, so by the time i got around to it, there were no top receivers left.

I'm in an 8 team keeper league. Each team can keep 1 player and the rookies that were on your team. This year I have the 7th overall pick and I have SJax, Maroney, and Colston.

I am sure every team keeps a RB and it only makes sense they draft a WR in the first round because they know the depth is there. You are already great at RB and I think focusing on WR's is a good move. However, you can't focus on one position and really look to the best player available. Also, if you only start 2-RB's what good is that 3rd RB going to do you, except on bye weeks. Draft the best starters possible.

I am sure every team keeps a RB and it only makes sense they draft a WR in the first round because they know the depth is there. You are already great at RB and I think focusing on WR's is a good move. However, you can't focus on one position and really look to the best player available. Also, if you only start 2-RB's what good is that 3rd RB going to do you, except on bye weeks. Draft the best starters possible.

I agree witrh you 100%, however, RBs do make for the best trade bait and you can usually offer up a solid RB for an even solid WR. But trading can be a difficult business.

I'm one, depending on position/other owners' tendencies/roster requirements/value/etc, will go RB, RB, WR, WR, RB or RB, WR, WR, RB, RB or RB, WR, RB, WR, RB. I never stick to a specific strategy, I usually go with the flow.

That's my strategy this year. I'm going to add the best starters possible in the early rounds and get depth later on. I think this is the best strategy for a league with only 8 people

I agree witrh you 100%, however, RBs do make for the best trade bait and you can usually offer up a solid RB for an even solid WR. But trading can be a difficult business.

I have had experience having difficulty trading away RB depth for WR help. I do want to add I don't just disregard my #3 RB but I don't make it a priority like I used to. It also helps to know how your leaguemates draft and trade.