[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I played poker with former NFL Player last night

spain

#2 - I'd have done the same, call on the turn and then bet out the river. By my math the pot going into the river was about $175? I'd have bet out between $80 and $100 there, curious how much you bet out (is stack of reds = $100)?

Stack of reds means $100(It is 20 $5 chips). I actually thought about pushing 2 stacks out there. But he would have had to have top two pair to call that and I didnt have him on AK. Again, I think he had Aces up with the second pair NOT being the K. So, I think $100 was about the most he would call in this instance. Maybe up to $150 or so, but I definitely wanted to get a call there and with that pot, $100 felt about right to me.

The other option was to check the river and hope he bet out and I could check raise him. The problem with the check raise is that is a huge show of strength. He knows he is beat if I do that and the only thing I might get is a crying call just because so much money is out there. Lets say I checked the river and he bet $75 and I check raised him there. Would he call the check raise on the end? I dont know. And there is a chance he just checks behind me on the river, and I wasnt willing to take that risk. So, I think I played the river right, its just the response to his raise on the turn that had me thinking I might have missed a bet.

Edited by spain

I'm on Bodog too. Very up and down. I've only played the .25/.50 and .10/.25 tables. More fish there. I make a bit there... but then it's easy to lose it there, too, because of the chasing donks that keep anything preflop and chase. I like the SnGs and win quite frequently. I'm "darin3" there, too... hope to see ya there. :D

yer a better man than I with the .25/.50 chit, That type of poker drives me insane. Way too much of a grind with all those wackos playing any 2 cards, and chasing to the river.

yer a better man than I with the .25/.50 chit, That type of poker drives me insane. Way too much of a grind with all those wackos playing any 2 cards, and chasing to the river.

I moved up to bigger tables but found that they were playing horribly there too. Would rather just lose $25 than $100. I don't know... I'm on a huge losing streak (losing to higher full houses, rivered flushes, etc.)

I should stick to the SnGs. :D

I moved up to bigger tables but found that they were playing horribly there too. Would rather just lose $25 than $100. I don't know... I'm on a huge losing streak (losing to higher full houses, rivered flushes, etc.)

I should stick to the SnGs. :D

oh believe me, I know the swings......... SNG are where it is at IMO- play solid poker and you can get deep and into the money usually. I have gradually moved up from $25 to $55 turbo 10 man's, and was pretty surprised at the quality of play not being any better than the $10-$12's.

Stack of reds means $100(It is 20 $5 chips). I actually thought about pushing 2 stacks out there. But he would have had to have top two pair to call that and I didnt have him on AK. Again, I think he had Aces up with the second pair NOT being the K. So, I think $100 was about the most he would call in this instance. Maybe up to $150 or so, but I definitely wanted to get a call there and with that pot, $100 felt about right to me.

The other option was to check the river and hope he bet out and I could check raise him. The problem with the check raise is that is a huge show of strength. He knows he is beat if I do that and the only thing I might get is a crying call just because so much money is out there. Lets say I checked the river and he bet $75 and I check raised him there. Would he call the check raise on the end? I dont know. And there is a chance he just checks behind me on the river, and I wasnt willing to take that risk. So, I think I played the river right, its just the response to his raise on the turn that had me thinking I might have missed a bet.

Yeah, checking the turn is too much of a risk IMO - he may well check behind you, in which case you get nothing. or, as you point out, he might bet out for less than the $100 you bet out, and then fold to your check-raise, making it a less profitable play in that scenario also.