[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

best free league with instant scoring updates?

thanks PantherDave...Why are free leagues taboo around here. One more thing The Dallas Cowboys RULE!!!

Trust me when I say....you will find out. However, Welcome to the Rolls Royce of FF sites and they call me PD around here. Plenty of Cowboy homers here..be sure to buddy up to Sgt. Ryan.

thanks PantherDave...Why are free leagues taboo around here. One more thing The Dallas Cowboys RULE!!!

A double dip on the newbie tool-o-meter!

Nice way to break the ice!

:D

Oh, yeah, and they call me - well, they call me things that are censored into funny words around here.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Trust me when I say....you will find out. However, Welcome to the Rolls Royce of FF sites and they call me PD around here. Plenty of Cowboy homers here..be sure to buddy up to Sgt. Ryan.

Yeah sure don't mention me. :D

PD doesn't want to be responsible for the consequences of buddying up to you...

:tup:

:D Very true. People do hold grudges around here and buddying up with me is just not a good idea. He would be finished before he even started here. :D

Edited by irish

sounds like alot of BS around here. Please don`t get me started!!!!

No, it's not BS!!

"Get Started" at your own risk, and if you do, be sure to have very thick skin.....consider this your fair warning.

This is great advice from PD. When I started out on these boards I, whether in jest, shooting my mouth off and not knowing my place at the time, making a point and busting people's chops or just being misunderstood, put myself in a position where many didn't like or appreciate me or my comments and some still don't. Grits also referred to as Blitz for one, doesn't like dumb questions and will openly ridicule you for them. When you return fire insulting him, he will immediately put you on his ignore list. He has no use for newbs as well as some others. This can and will spiral out of control and not in your favor if you come in here and think your sh!t doesn't stink and you're going to tell everyone how much you know and how great you think you are.

** Advice** Be humble, witty but not insulting or cocky, especially since you're new here. You're going to take some lumps from time to time but take them with a grain of salt, laugh it off and move on. However, if you're looking for a great group of people that know everything there is to know and can be a ton of fun, then you found the right place. Then throw on top of that all the fantasy knowledge this group has collectively and you'll never want to leave. Best of Luck!!

Edited by irish

No, it's not BS!!

This is great advice from PD. When I started out on these boards I, whether in jest, shooting my mouth off and not knowing my place at the time, making a point and busting people's chops or just being misunderstood, put myself in a position where many didn't like or appreciate me or my comments and some still don't. Grits also referred to as Blitz for one, doesn't like dumb questions and will openly ridicule you for them. When you return fire insulting him, he will immediately put you on his ignore list. He has no use for newbs as well as some others. This can and will spiral out of control and not in your favor if you come in here and think your sh!t doesn't stink and you're going to tell everyone how much you know and how great you think you are.

** Advice** Be humble, witty but not insulting or cocky, especially since you're new here. You're going to take some lumps from time to time but take them with a grain of salt, laugh it off and move on. However, if you're looking for a great group of people that know everything there is to know and can be a ton of fun, then you found the right place. Then throw on top of that all the fantasy knowledge this group has collectively and you'll never want to leave. Best of Luck!!

I appreciate the advice and will TRY to keep my wits!

Cool... then welcome and enjoy!! See you around these parts.

A couple of rules of thumb:

If you are knowledgable on a subject, come out swinging & share what you've got! Post a fact based argument and you'll do fine.

If you are not knowledgable on a subject, don't try to bluff your way through it. People here can be pretty savvy and will not only see you on your tap dancing, but will apply the hammer in an ungentle manner. The easiest way to take a serious pasting here is to put forth an argument that can't be backed up - or even worse, expect people to take your opinion as fact.

If you want to become knowledgable on a subject, ask. People here will share knowledge willingly & gladly most of the time.

Be prepared for locker room humor & barbs. FF here is serious, but it's also fun, and this is a great place to put some red-hot in someone's jockstrap - in a verbal way. Know that if someone is sticking a needle in you that they are doing it to 1) see if you can take a jab, and 2) to see what your reaction is and whether you will come back in a like manner. Feel free to cut into someone, especially if they are raking you, but keep your perspective & know that it's most probably done in good fun. There are exceptions. Ignore them when you find them.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If you are knowledgable on a subject, come out swinging & share what you've got! Post a fact based argument and you'll do fine.

If you are not knowledgable on a subject, don't try to bluff your way through it. People here can be pretty savvy and will not only see you on your tap dancing, but will apply the hammer in an ungentle manner. The easiest way to take a serious pasting here is to put forth an argument that can't be backed up - or even worse, expect people to take your opinion as fact.

If you want to become knowledgable on a subject, ask. People here will share knowledge willingly & gladly most of the time.

Be prepared for locker room humor & barbs. FF here is serious, but it's also fun, and this is a great place to put some red-hot in someone's jockstrap - in a verbal way. Know that if someone is sticking a needle in you that they are doing it to 1) see if you can take a jab, and 2) to see what your reaction is and whether you will come back in a like manner. Feel free to cut into someone, especially if they are raking you, but keep your perspective & know that it's most probably done in good fun. There are exceptions. Ignore them when you find them.

Well said :D

I will make sure to be loaded for bear, thanks Bronco Billy

When in doubt read and learn by reading spain, bronco billy, rattsass, to mention a few and you will be fine. (there are a ton more I just can't think of right now)

Like stated so well, have a thick skin, or don't post. :D

edit to add (above)

Edited by Men In Tights

Tarantula, here is the reason for "free leagues". They teach you the ropes of FF and when I started way back in 1989 you had your locals spread out across the country and you had no mags etc. You scored on(we did) USA Today box scores etc. Then with the internet explosion FF was soon absorbed into this format and the rest they say is history.....just like this web-site I pay to be a member. They can be fun if your in it just for fun, but here it's fun, but as BB said it's taking very seriously. When and if you graduate to a dynasty league(I did finally last year, and it's a whole different ball game) you will have no off-season. The free leagues teach really only one format 10-12 team redraft, which is still the back bone of FF, but some here like BeeR prefer the "auction" draft-which I don't like at all. I was old school and even a dynasty was foriegn to me as of a year ago, but it's alot of fun and I'm glad I gave it a go. There are some lower buy in leagues you may be able to get into here at the Huddle, we all believe in this place for one reason..we get results. I encourage you to join the pay site if you have not already and do hang here at the MB's. Big John could give you an age demographic here and I'd say it be in the average age of 30 something (I'm 40), so this is not a kiddy site like most out there, but we get silly at time a talk smack etc., but we are all very serious and not to many "casual" FF'ers make this there FF home-mostly die-hards with alot experince and years under their collective belts. Is there anything "wrong" with free leagues-no not at all, as they are great learning tools and such, but most around here consider that Kindergaren and Elementary FF while most here on to graduate school or doctorships in FF so to speak.

...also, free leagues don't encourage quitting, but it's easy to do. Most the "casual" FF'ers join several free leagues but if they get off to a bad start or get hit by the injury bug...they bail, instead of trying to hit the WW or make trades to remain competitive. This really hurts the integrity of a league and the champion get's a false sense of their FF prowress and get's there azz handed to them when when they finally do graduate to higher calibur leagues. Free leagues can only teach so much and the competition is usually weak at best.

thanks PantherDave...Why are free leagues taboo around here. One more thing The Dallas Cowboys SUCK!!!

If you can control the players in a free league they are OK, but otherwise they suck almost as much as the Dallas Cowboys.

I always interpreted "free leagues suck" as joining a free league on ESPN or Yahoo and not knowing any of the other players...these do indeed suck monstrously.

I believe this dude is asking about free league software to run a private league with people he knows... if that's the case, Yahoo has good software for traditional leagues. The league itself is free, but getting the Stat Tracker for live updates is $9.95 a season.