[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Slow Drafts

jaxfactor

Just wondering why certain leagues do slow drafts. I was in one once and it ended up being a nightmare. Is the reason for a slow draft because not everyone can make the specific draft time of a live draft? I really don't like slow drafts because I feel guilty of slowing the draft down. I am one that likes to see what happens before I go out on a line and make my pick. Pre-ranking your players doesn't work IMO. The pre-ranking does not know how to tell if you are needy at RB or WR, so you may end up with more RBs that you wanted and not enough WRs. There is also the bye week factor. A computer picking for you does not take this into consideration. Like I said, I want to be present and accounted for at a draft so I am able to size things up on my own. Some slow drafts give a 12 hour window between picks. Say the players before me started making picks at 3:00AM ET. Say at 3:15AM I am now on the clock but am fast asleep. I get up and go to work the next morning and will not be home until 5:00-5:30 PM ET. I missed my pick and the dreaded computer picked for me. Granted, it was from my list, but how do I know exactly who will be picked before my pick? I'm confused and really don't see any advantages of a slow draft. Input please.

Just wondering why certain leagues do slow drafts. I was in one once and it ended up being a nightmare. Is the reason for a slow draft because not everyone can make the specific draft time of a live draft? I really don't like slow drafts because I feel guilty of slowing the draft down. I am one that likes to see what happens before I go out on a line and make my pick. Pre-ranking your players doesn't work IMO. The pre-ranking does not know how to tell if you are needy at RB or WR, so you may end up with more RBs that you wanted and not enough WRs. There is also the bye week factor. A computer picking for you does not take this into consideration. Like I said, I want to be present and accounted for at a draft so I am able to size things up on my own. Some slow drafts give a 12 hour window between picks. Say the players before me started making picks at 3:00AM ET. Say at 3:15AM I am now on the clock but am fast asleep. I get up and go to work the next morning and will not be home until 5:00-5:30 PM ET. I missed my pick and the dreaded computer picked for me. Granted, it was from my list, but how do I know exactly who will be picked before my pick? I'm confused and really don't see any advantages of a slow draft. Input please.

The reason for the slow draft is that people are so busy these days, that it is almost imposible to get 12 people together for a live draft.

Personally I hate slow drafts, and I feel a "sharp" drafter loses a distinct advantage over less prepared players. Having to make snap decisions during a draft is something I consider a strong point for myself, others may feel exactly the opposite.

We do an e-mail draft in one of my leagues and a life draft in another. The live draft we do at a local bar that has a side room. It's a good time for everyone to get together, shoot the chit, and draft. We all work together so we are all pretty good friends.

The league that we do an e-mail draft we do that way because of scheduling as well as we are all spread all over the place. One guy is even in France. Almost all of us sit in front of a computer every day so the draft doesn't take too long. Two guys have jobs were they aren't in front of a computer, but usually just a cell phone call away.

I prefer both for opposite reasons. I like the faster pace of the live draft and the social aspect. However sometimes I like to take longer then a minute or two to decide who I want. If you have a few guys pick real quickly it takes a little bit to catch up the draft cheat sheet on who's been taken and it eats away at my selection time.

Most of the time, it is beacuse not everyone can attend a fast draft at the same time

And I totally understand that, but why then do a 12 hour time limit? I'm sure there are others like myself who only can have access to their PCs when they get home from work. I'm off this week so this is an exception. But if you're gonna do a slow draft, why not give a full 24 hour period betwen picks. Yes, this may take forever to complete, but it seems the fairest thing to do. I refuse to let anything or anyone make picks for me even if they are from my own ranking list because of the aforementioned reasons in my original post. I don't want to come home to find that the computer picked my RB2 that happens to have the same bye week as my RB1. That would totally suck to say the least. :D