[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QBs After the "Top 7"

hagler

12-team league...........

6 pts every TD + bonus pts for TDs 20 yds+

1 pt every 20 yds passing

-2 INTs

-1 sacks

My top 7 QBs:

First 5 are obvious.......

Manning

Brady

Palmer

Brees

Bulger

6) Kitna - based on sheer number of passes & a Bad D

7) McNabb - Eagles will throw with McNabb even 3/4 healthy.....

If you want to wait on a QB............How would you rank the following & is there any real separation between these guys?:

Romo - very good Offense--lots of weapons

Rivers - great Offense

Leinart - 2 great WRs

Young - have to take into account 9 pts for rushing TDs in my league & 5 bonus pts for 50+ rushing yds.....

Hasselbeck - still the West coast style & nice division with Bad Defenses

Roethlisberger - will open up to 3 & 4 WR sets..........D not that good as people think....

Favre - he will chuck it---period.

Please help-----thinking of waiting until the 8th Rd for a QB & build a solid team in the meantime!

Probably back-to-back QBs in the 8th & 9th..........

If any of the top-5 are still available when you get to the 4th round, I'd draft them there. If none are available, I'd wait until the 7th round, and take whomever is left amongst the top-12 you listed. Around the 8th round is when some owners take their backup QB, so be careful you don't cheat yourself out of getting a solid starting QB.

I think Cutler has to be added to the after the Top 7 list. The forgotten man, Eli Manning who finished 12th last year in scoring in my league (albeit he'll be without Tiki). Grossman who finished 13th might be a late round steal as he'll be without T Jones and has a cake schedule. If Delhomme holds on all year, he has to be included in that bunch. After that there's a bunch of guys together- A Smith, Pennington, Campbell, Garcia, Schaub, McNair, etc.

This is the age old question: how to rank QBs and find the one that will break though into the Top 5 (DMD wrote about it in a book, and Football Outsiders has a nice article in their new book).

Statisitically, the biggest break through comes from QBs going into their second year (Young, Leinart, Cutler, Campbell... and I think you could add Romo since he was not playing). And the next plateau comes in year five (Palmer and Lefty), with the decline in year 9.

I personally believe that if McNabb is healthy, he is top 5, and Kitna may be, too, depending on scoring. This are both gambles that should only be taking with a solid RB set and WR. And then you will have to draft a back up QB sooner than later.

of the players you listed, again, looking for a Top 6 so you are not relatively below average, I think the safest pics would be the QBs in the same system with the talent around to support them (and a bad DEF doesn't hurt)

I like Romo if TO plays all year, and that is a big if. Rivers still needs a WR1, but is solid. Leinart has a new system and played poorly the first pre-season game. Their DEF will force them to play catch up and has talent around him. Young has no one to catch the ball, but will be Top 10 because of rushing. I like Hass to rebound this year with the decline of their running game, but he has never been a Top 6 QB in Fantasy Terms. Roth wil be much better this year if he and WRs can master the new OFF. As much as I respect Favre, and think parts of the OFF is improving, they need a RB who can protect him or he will get killed (like Kitna).

You left off Cutler, who has the arm and system to be pretty darn good. They need Marshall or someone else to step into WR2 opposite of Walker... Henry is OK out of the back field, but Culver did throw at least 2 TDs in four of five starts.

Campbell in WASH had another year in the Saunders System, with some talent around him. He could surprise and is a great flier at QB2, same with Lefty...

My ranking of the QBs that have the best chance of cracking the Top 6:

Romo

Leinart

Rivers

Roth

Slightly off topic, but one place I look to determine players who may have a bounce-back year, if they are a veteran, or a breakout year, if they are younger, is the NFL schedule. Look at which teams with alot of talent underachieved the prior year, and ended up with a mediocre record. The scheduling dictates that they will have an easier schedule this year, which suggests their players' stats will improve as well.

Last year, teams with talent who underachieved include Minnesota (good o-line, two solid RB's), Cincy (studs all over on offense), Pittsburgh (steady QB, good depth at WR, and FWP), and Carolina (steady QB, two quality RBs, Steve Smith). So, at least their non-division schedules should be easier than they have had in years past.

Meanwhile, teams who likely overachieved a bit, record-wise, meaning they will now be playing a first place schedule, and have question marks this year include Chicago (lost Thomas Jones, other players had career years), New Orleans (post-Katrina emotion carried them and their fans, and depending alot upon young players), Baltimore (key players aging), and San Diego (new coach).