[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colorado Springs area huddlers

Clubfoothead

My little brother and his wife are headed up Friday morning for a little R & R and their first vacation together.

They've got a citypages or whatever to-do list. Any locals got some suggestions for an Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran and his wife to catch that might not be on their list?

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I think he mentioned something about a skytran ride in Phantom Canyon maybe. I know they are taking a train ride up Pike's Peak.

:D

Some people that were with me at dinner tonight did the cog train up to the top of Pikes Peak today. Hour and a half each way. They also said they felt drunk at the top even though they had nothing to drink. Sounds like it was a great view however.

This hotel I'm in is super cool with a lot of character. It's The Cliff House. I don't know the rates but could see this being a great place for a romantic getaway.

There's a Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun that's really odd. It's the tomb of Spencer Penrose, who built the Broadmoor and other stuff around there. He apparently decided to name it after Will Rogers after friends suggested it would be too egotistical to name it after himself (and Will Rogers died in a plane crash during construction of the shrine). It does offer impressive views of the Broadmoor, Garden of the Gods, and downtown.

I just find it odd because Will Rogers is not someone you would associate with a shrine that requires you to climb a mountain to visit. And, I'm not even sure Will Rogers even visited Colorado Springs.

I've stayed at a bed and breakfast next to the Broadmoor, but I forget its name. It was originally a bordello built to serve the clientele of the Broadmoor, complete with tunnels and a lookout for cops for early warning against the prohibition drinking, gambling and prostitution. Although the original Madam of the house was married to the chief of police, so there was rarely interference.

I will also paraphrase a line I read in a magazine a couple years ago, because I believe it's true: "If you put Colorado Springs on the back of a truck and moved it to Nebraska, it would make Omaha look like Paris by comparison." The Springs, besides being a haven to all kinds of Focus on the Family goons, has got to be the ugliest mountain town in North America.

I will also paraphrase a line I read in a magazine a couple years ago, because I believe it's true: "If you put Colorado Springs on the back of a truck and moved it to Nebraska, it would make Omaha look like Paris by comparison." The Springs, besides being a haven to all kinds of Focus on the Family goons, has got to be the ugliest mountain town in North America.

This is not far from the truth. The southern 3/4 of the city might as well be called Pueblo North.