[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DVR delay

Ursa Majoris

So we have two TVs going simultaneously on the same channel, both visible. One has a DVR, the other doesn't. The one with the DVR is at least five seconds behind the one without. Is this a function of the DVR first writing the input signal to disk and only then outputting the signal to the TV?

Yes.

It sucks if you're having a Superbowl party and people in other rooms are watching a non-DVR TV.

I'm part of a HUGH SB part every year, and last year I eventually migrated to the TV with the rabbit ears to get ahead of the cable/satellite that didn't even have the DVR attached.

I'm part of a HUGH SB part every year, and last year I eventually migrated to the TV with the rabbit ears to get ahead of the cable/satellite that didn't even have the DVR attached.

Now that's interesting because IIRC the NFL are extremely vigilant about games being shown live. A couple years ago one station tried squeezing in extra ads, delaying the game transmission slightly and the NFL were all over them like a cheap suit, so how do the cable companies stand on this?

BTW, both TVs I've mentioned are cable, so it definitely is the DVR - seems like a long delay though.

Now that's interesting because IIRC the NFL are extremely vigilant about games being shown live. A couple years ago one station tried squeezing in extra ads, delaying the game transmission slightly and the NFL were all over them like a cheap suit, so how do the cable companies stand on this?

BTW, both TVs I've mentioned are cable, so it definitely is the DVR - seems like a long delay though.

I've noticed this as well but it isn't the DVR box causing it as far as I can tell. It's the HD box that's off from the non-hd box (both have DVR's).

I've noticed this as well but it isn't the DVR box causing it as far as I can tell. It's the HD box that's off from the non-hd box (both have DVR's).

This particular DVR is non-HD. I have no idea if there's yet a further synch issue between my DVRs and HD DVR. Can't see both at the same time. Certainly there's a very significant delay between DVR and direct cable to the TV.

It's the DVR, there's a 5 sec delay and then about a 3 sec delay on non-DVR boxes in relation to a regular TV.