[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bought my first handgun today

ChuckB

You bought it without firing it?

What were you thinking?

Kahr has a good reputation. I am thinking about buiying a PM40 (the CW40 is the more economical version) from a buddy of mine. But the .40 barks a little too much for my taste in a light, compact pistol. I'd rather have the PM9, but that's just me. Of course, since you probably haven't fired either, you don't know which one you'd prefer.

Unless things have changed recently, you're going to have to put a couple hundred rounds through it to break it in. I use Sellier & Bellot ammunition at the range. I find it to be fairly clean and fairly cheap. If you're not going to be buying more than a few boxes at a time, I'd get it through the mail from Cheaper than Dirt or Cabela's. Fire a couple boxes of Gold Dot through to make sure that the gun likes it (shouldn't be a problem, but you never know.)

Well I fired it and with the exception of me pushing/pulling to the left I liked it......got a tip from a guy shootin next to me who happened to be pretty good, to use the section of my pointer finger between the tip and first crease instead of the middle section that I was using, and it made a big difference. I was shooting at 7 and 10 yards, the guy next to me ran it down to about 20 yards and fired 3 rounds out of my gun with about a 2 inch grouping. My groupings got better by the end of the box, and yes it had a little bark but not too much.

The guy that sold me the gun told me about the PM40 and I believe the only real difference was that the PM has changeable front sights which the CW doesn't (pinned sights), since I wasn't too concerned about putting night sights on it and he didn't have the PM in stock, I bought the CW. The price difference was only about a hundred bucks or so and the PM came with an extra magazine which I paid $35 for so the difference wasn't huge. If he would've had the other in stock I may have went with that one. He also told me about the 9MM which he carried but I was kind of set on the .40. Over all so far I like it, and I think yer right about firing a couple hundred rounds to break it in. I'll be shooting a little more later in the week/weekend and may actually drag Puddy with me :D

I would recommend this gun, but I am still a newb and don't know chit :D

:wacko: needs no stinking gun.

Edited by ChuckB

Guns don't kill people, Jack Bauer kills people...

Chuck, I'd put 300 rounds through that thing before I ever depended on it. And I'd want them to be trouble free. And I do that with everything from a plain-jane Colt's to a full-house Kimber. Other than being a tad heavy, there is nothing wrong with a Kahr (the reason they're heavy is because they are stout, much like a Ruger). The rule of thumb is to shoot as much cartrige as you can comfortably shoot, so if the .40 recoil doesn't bother you have at it. Other than a tiny 5-shot .357 mag, every handgun I own is either .44 mag or .45 ACP ('cept .22's), but I'm a good sized guy who's been shooting a while.

Also a good idea to put (after the 300 rounds of blasting fodder) at least a couple boxes of those Speer Gold-Dot's through it to make sure they function properly. S&B was suggested above and it's great ammo. Made somewhere in eastern Europe (I think Czech republic) it's uniform, clean and consistent, and the cases are plenty good for reloading. I think it's somewhere around $8/box here. Enjoy!