[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who has a wood burning stove in their garage?

Chief Dick

Just got my hands on a nice wood burning stove for my detached garage. So now I need to flue it. I know I need to go triple wall through the roof.

The stove has an 8" output for vent pipe. Was wondering if it's ok to reduce it to 6" pipe and go triple wall all the way up. The cost difference between 8" and 6" pipe is pretty significant.

Anyone with experience in this area? I thought about going triple wall through the roof and double wall from the stove to the roof piece.

Just got my hands on a nice wood burning stove for my detached garage. So now I need to flue it. I know I need to go triple wall through the roof.

The stove has an 8" output for vent pipe. Was wondering if it's ok to reduce it to 6" pipe and go triple wall all the way up. The cost difference between 8" and 6" pipe is pretty significant.

Anyone with experience in this area? I thought about going triple wall through the roof and double wall from the stove to the roof piece.

I'm in nearing the end of a complete restoration for a 1930's bungalow. I have encountered numerous problems. I found that Yahoo questions was an awesome asset. Just go to the home repair section and ask the same question.

Maybe, maybe not depends on the size of the stove I suppose. Your flue is designed to minimze backpressure on the stove exhaust. While 6" pipe and 8" pipe seem close enough, the throughput area is almost double for 8" pipe (~50.2 square inches) than that of 6" pipe (~28.3 square inches). Exhaust backpressure is really no different for an engine than it is for a fireplace. The more backpressure you have on the exhaust, the less efficient your unit is. Will 6" work? Probably. Is it the best thing for the stove? Probably not. Do you have a blower? If so, then you will probably be fine.

That being said, your local building code will likely have a standard that you must adhere to, first and foremost. Your fire chief or town planner should have the regulations for you. If you don't get any good info from them (or they tell you that it varies with the stove), I'd call the stove manufacturer and ask to speak with the engineer.

Edit: In Canada, regulations state that the chimney flue diameter should equal the stove outlet. Not sure how it is where you are.

Edited by Tford

I wouldn't neck it down from 8" to 6". You need a good draft to keep things working properly. Also, I'm sure that the NYS and PA building codes prohibit you from dropping down in size from the stove outlet to the flue, so that is probably a fairly common code requirement. Put a wood stove in my basement last year and had to go with the 8". The building inspector mentioned that it had to be set a cerain height above the floor in unfinished basements and garages. Best to check with your code officials.