[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers look to sign Donald Lee

Randall

Packers Intend To Keep TE Lee; Negotiations Begin

Bob McGinn, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel -

The Green Bay Packers have begun contract negotiations with TE Donald Lee that they hope will lock him up for years to come. Lee, one of the most improved players on the roster, is the only starter among the seven players due to become unrestricted free agents in March. "They contacted my agent," Lee said Friday. "I told them just get me a fair deal and I'll be happy. I'm not big on material things. I told them I don't want to know numbers and what's going on. I don't want to focus on that."

Notes: Packers calculate $4 million benefit

By BOB McGINN

bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Nov. 2, 2007

Green Bay - Taking advantage of loopholes in National Football League rules, the Green Bay Packers have removed $4 million from their 2007 salary cap but will receive credit for that same amount on their 2008 salary cap.

A source with access to NFL Players Association data said the Packers engineered the switch as part of their contract with tight end Ryan Krause.

On Oct. 23, one day after Krause was promoted from the practice squad, vice president Andrew Brandt and agent Buddy Baker negotiated the deal.

Most of it was a standard one-year contract, giving Krause the minimum base salary of $510,000. Considering that he missed seven weeks, his cap charge was $300,000.

However, the deal also gave Krause an incentive clause for performance on special teams. Worth $4 million, the clause is payable only if a miracle were to happen and Krause blocked more than six punts and also played an extreme number of snaps on special teams.

Krause isn't even playing on the punt-block team and isn't a core player on special teams.

Under NFL rules, however, the Packers were able to designate the $4 million under the "likely to be earned" incentive category. Therefore, it was charged immediately against their current cap.

At the time, the Packers had about $11.9 million of cap space. Now, after the $4 million reduction plus the addition of Krause and wide receiver Koren Robinson, the Packers are $7.39 million beneath the cap.

After the season, the Packers will have the $4 million incentive that wasn't earned by Krause to show league officials. That amount will be debited back against their cap and added to their adjusted cap for 2008.

The Packers are trying to use some of their remaining cap space on a contract extension for tight end Donald Lee. No doubt, the team is considering whether to make a move on defensive tackle Corey Williams, their other top player headed for unrestricted free agency.

But if the Packers have a substantial amount of cap room left by the end of the league year, it is expected they'll make other financial maneuvers to ensure that it is credited onto their adjusted '08 cap.

Ready to roll

Robinson returned to practice Friday, declared his balky knee fit and said he was going to be the primary kickoff returner Sunday in Kansas City. Tramon Williams will join Robinson, who replaces Shaun Bodiford.

"It's just open-field running," Robinson said. "I was a running back in high school. I always feel good with the ball in my hands."

Robinson experienced swelling in his post-surgical right knee after beginning practice last week. After getting Thursday off, Robinson said the swelling had subsided.

"I'm not worried about it at all," he said. "We're in pads, and I'm going hard, hard, hard, hard, hard trying to prove my point and be competitive. The swelling was just from the intensity of practice."

Robinson said he hoped to play from scrimmage but didn't know if he would.

After Robinson was suspended last October, the NFL suspended his contract, too. Upon reinstatement, his contract picked up right where it left off.

Thus, Robinson has a $595,000 base salary this year and a $730,000 base plus $50,000 workout bonus and $500,000 in incentives based on receptions next year. He would become a free agent in March 2009.

Injury list

Center Scott Wells (illness) practiced for a second straight day but coach Mike McCarthy indicated that Jason Spitz would start.

Nose tackle Ryan Pickett (knee) was one of three players listed as questionable but said he would be fine to play 30 to 35 plays.

Guard Junius Coston (ankle) continues to labor when jogging and will miss a third straight game. Cornerback Frank Walker (knee) participated in limited practice and also was questionable.

Receiver Eddie Kennison (hamstring) and linebacker Keyaron Fox (hamstring), the only players on the Chiefs' injury report, practiced and were questionable.

Rugged assignment

Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen, who has eight sacks, will be facing tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher for the first time.

"He is going to be as talented if not more talented than anybody we've played against," Tauscher said. "You just watch the film and he's everywhere. You realize you're going to have to work all day. Not only is he a high talented guy but he has a huge motor. Huge.

"They like to move him around because I think people try to focus on him. I'm sure both of us will see quite a bit of him."

Top tight end

This will be just the third game against the Packers for Tony Gonzalez.

"Tony Gonzalez is just a great player," linebacker Nick Barnett said. "Hord (quarterback Damon Huard), or whatever his name is, is just staring at Tony the whole time. He's just waiting for him to get open. We've definitely been putting schemes in place for him."

Safeties Atari Bigby and Nick Collins probably will cover Gonzalez most of the time. Linebackers A.J. Hawk and Brady Poppinga will be involved, too.

"It depends on where he lines up," Bigby said. "Right now I'm just trying to establish myself in the league. Regardless of who it is, I want to come out on top of the matchup."

On Oct. 23, one day after Krause was promoted from the practice squad, vice president Andrew Brandt and agent Buddy Baker negotiated the deal.

Most of it was a standard one-year contract, giving Krause the minimum base salary of $510,000. Considering that he missed seven weeks, his cap charge was $300,000.

However, the deal also gave Krause an incentive clause for performance on special teams. Worth $4 million, the clause is payable only if a miracle were to happen and Krause blocked more than six punts and also played an extreme number of snaps on special teams.

Krause isn't even playing on the punt-block team and isn't a core player on special teams.

Under NFL rules, however, the Packers were able to designate the $4 million under the "likely to be earned" incentive category. Therefore, it was charged immediately against their current cap.

That rule has to be incredibly badly written if it covers a guy who is supposed to block six punts but who doesn't block punts at all......"likely to be earned", my ass. :D

That rule has to be incredibly badly written if it covers a guy who is supposed to block six punts but who doesn't block punts at all......"likely to be earned", my ass. :D
Can't you at least be happy that the guys from Arthur Anderson have found gainful employment after the Enron debacle?