[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Xmas trip ideas

detlef

My wife and I are looking forward to a pretty low-key Xmas this year (we're seeing both of our respective folks between now and then) but wouldn't mind getting away. She's off the entire week and I'm shutting the restaurant down from Sun-Wed.

Here's the deal, none of the people we usually get to house/dog sit are around and we're not interested in boarding them, so they're coming along.

That obviously limits our options.

Camping could be tough because it's pretty cold but not out of the question.

Renting a cabin is likely impossible at this late juncture, especially when you factor in the dog-friendly limitations.

We also thought of visiting a town that had rural surroundings to accommodate day hikes but perhaps a few cool restaurants to hit at night. I forget the Natl motel chain that you can bring your dog to, but we could find one.

We're really stumped. Staying around town won't be the end of the world provided we fill our time. I'm actually considering finishing tearing up the carpet, refinishing the hardwood floors beneath it, and installing shoe molding. I mean, nothing says happy holidays like redoing the floors.

Thoughts?

Go ahead H8M8, give it your best shot.

We used to have the same question, and we found there are a number of B&Bs out there that take pets. Wife and I take the dog with us each year on trips to Maine and Hilton Head and have never had a problem. Most places just ask that don't leave him alone for more than a 3-4 hours in the room.

how far are the smokies from you?

Not too far. Well, at least the Blue Ridge Pkwy isn't. In fact, we're going up there over Thanksgiving. Heading up that way is certainly on the short list, it's just that it's a rather cold time to camp and accommodations could be quite hard to come by at this late date.

As for whoopazz, not a bad call at all. We'll just need to find some local things to do outside our usual circle of activities.

just remember ... if at the last minute you decide to not take the dogs, please call ahead to let the establishment know.

:D Funnier still, for a second I thought, "Why would it matter to the place if I wasn't going to bring my dogs?"

Edited by detlef

I think you should just hang out at the nearest dump for a couple of days. The dogs would love it, and you might find some cool antique hidden treasures, or some bizarre underground city ruled by an old murdering curmudgeon that looks suspiciously like Dan Akroyd.

I think you should just hang out at the nearest dump for a couple of days. The dogs would love it, and you might find some cool antique hidden treasures, or some bizarre underground city ruled by an old murdering curmudgeon that looks suspiciously like Dan Akroyd.

And that's why we come to the Tailgate!