[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 60" Hitachi is dead!

theprofessor

Why are you saying to make sure it is LCD ? There are definitely positives to both, and after tons of research, in the areas where one used to have a big advantage on the other, the gap has closed considerably.

As for 1080p, of course, that is ideal, but, a lot of the really great deals are being put out there on the TV's that only go to 1080i. The only thing capable of playing in 1080p at the moment is Blu-Ray, and I had the guy demo a Blu-Ray disc on two Panasoic's, one 1080p, and the other 1080i, and I really couldn't have told you which was which. Just my :D

Avernus loves LCD Menudo, :D

I am with ya plasma brother- I am not a complete tech head on this 1080p/1080i stuff- I just know that my Pioneer had a picture that was off the charts, and I preferred it over any LCD picture... while LCD has it's advantages, most people will tell you a quality plasma has a better all around pictue.

I went in in thinking LCD all the way, and came out buying plasma

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also...LCD is the best value for your money...Plasma still has problems with burn-in.....regardless if you have a Panasonic or Pioneer Elite....both brands excel with plasma's....but I still don't prefer them over LCD.....

and DLP colors look ....I dunno...I can't put my finger on it, but it's just not the same...

I think LCD has a fine balance of everything for your money...

just my :D

Avernus loves LCD Menudo, :D

I am with ya plasma brother- I am not a complete tech head on this 1080p/1080i stuff- I just know that my Pioneer had a picture that was off the charts, and I preferred it over any LCD picture... while LCD has it's advantages, most people will tell you a quality plasma has a better all around pictue.

I went in in thinking LCD all the way, and came out buying plasma

:D yeah, I won't say Plasma is bad...it's just not the best value for your money...

but that's my opinion...

what was the size of the HDTV?....

edit: 1080p also helps with upscaling as well...it gives you a wider range of upscaling...

They were 50-inch. I would have preferred 1080p, just to know I had the best available, but, I couldn't justify it, with the deal I was getting.

:D yeah, I won't say Plasma is bad...it's just not the best value for your money...

but that's my opinion...

No need to argue about it. I was at the store, and the Sony Bravia LCD's and the Panasonic Plasmas both looked f'ng fantastic !!!! :D

They were 50-inch. I would have preferred 1080p, just to know I had the best available, but, I couldn't justify it, with the deal I was getting.

the deal is fine and even if you do plan on owning a high def player....1080p is still a bit pricey for those advantages...

I just like the idea of being future proof...

but I will admit that some of these 1080i HD sets pose great value....

also...was the Blu-ray player hooked up via HDMI ?...I don't believe there is a noticeable difference between HDMI and component in regards to visuals...but HDMI's advantages are through sound and your home theater system...which is why I like Blu-Ray, they use PCM sound on quite a few movies, which eclipses anything out there...period...

of course you probably don't even know...but it's worth noting how they had it set-up...

:D My boys are all grown up, they don't need me any more.

Kid , Baby.....just put a Fireplace in for my Parents and framed the openning above to fit a 40" Sony 1080p Bravia.......my Dad ,like me ,knows nothing about these TV's and just went to a High End Electronic Store cause he doesn't like the little queers working at Best Buy.........the place will deliver and set up this unit for $1646.00 plus tax...........is this high.........where should he by this sucker........it's the one he wants.........TIA :D

Guys-

Thanks a lot for the help. This is a great :D place to come when you need answers!

A couple questions ....

What does the 1080 # mean?

What does the p (1080p) mean? What does the i (1080i) mean?

What is Blu-Ray?

I've also heard that if you buy DLP you can expect to replace the bulb every 2-3 years. Is this information correct or is it LCD?

What is the difference between DLP and LCD?

BTW, if you guys have any questions about Golf, Ladies or setting your line ups every week I'm all about payback! :D

A couple questions ....

1080p is 1080 progressive and is currently the highest resolution in high definition.....1080i means 1080 interlaced...it pretty much displays 540 lines on your TV set every 30th of a second...it fills in every other line and then smoothly fills in like a blend.....kind of like taking both of your hands and filling the fingers in between one another as if you were praying....(interlaced)

1080p is on an island by itself...the better comparison is between 720p and 1080i....720p is better for sports as the resolution is displayed horizontally and displays 720 lines every 15th of a second I believe...while 1080i fills in half the lines every 30th lines...

What is Blu-Ray?

Blu-ray is high definition movies and they have their own player that plays Blu-ray movies and regular DVD's as well...

all Blu-ray players are 1080p and they have support from almost every studio

Sony (Columbia/Tri-star)

Disney (Buena Vista/Miramax/Pixar)

Fox

MGM

Lionsgate

New Line Cinema

WB

Universal and Paramount support HD-DVD exclusively and WB supports both...

Blu-ray is pretty much either 5x the capacity od DVD (4.5 GB) at 25 GB and a dual-layer Blu-ray is 50 GB which is 10x the size of DVD which allows for higher resolution and greater quality in sound..

plus the players use a blue laser instead of red which pinpoints a smaller area of the disk and is more precise..

you can find out what you need if you are interested at blu-ray.com

I've also heard that if you buy DLP you can expect to replace the bulb every 2-3 years. Is this information correct or is it LCD?

the bulb has to be changed every couple of years if you own a projection TV....it can be LCD or DLP...but the bulb blows out and the difference between DLP and LCD is the colors...but the flat panel LCD's do not require a bulb and I believe there are no flat panel DLP's..

some people think DLP looks more vibrant while I actually think it looks a bit too artificial....but that's my opinion...

I could go a bit further into this...especially with explaining HD-DVD...but I think mr ted would be better suited for that...

Edited by Avernus

I bought a 46 inch 1080P LCD Sharp Aquos and I love it. I did a ton of research and ended up with LCD after consulting with my friend who runs a high quality audio/video install company. The TV has less features (no memory card slot, etc.) but it's not lacking anything I use. I think that you can get the 52 inch at Sams club for around $2600.

The one thing that I went with that I would recommend for sure if you're not wall mounting is a stand that holds the TV in the air on a pole...it looks like it's floating, and has just enough shelves to fit your components. I love mine and always get a lot of compliments on it.

Best of luck man....but I'd go with LCD all day - no break in period, no worries, and most of the LCD tvs now feature rich blacks and colors up there with some great plasmas. Just my .02.

I bought a 46 inch 1080P LCD Sharp Aquos and I love it. I did a ton of research and ended up with LCD after consulting with my friend who runs a high quality audio/video install company. The TV has less features (no memory card slot, etc.) but it's not lacking anything I use. I think that you can get the 52 inch at Sams club for around $2600.

The one thing that I went with that I would recommend for sure if you're not wall mounting is a stand that holds the TV in the air on a pole...it looks like it's floating, and has just enough shelves to fit your components. I love mine and always get a lot of compliments on it.

Best of luck man....but I'd go with LCD all day - no break in period, no worries, and most of the LCD tvs now feature rich blacks and colors up there with some great plasmas. Just my .02.

Thanks. Great info here.

A couple questions ....

1080p is 1080 progressive and is currently the highest resolution in high definition.....1080i means 1080 interlaced...it pretty much displays 540 lines on your TV set every 30th of a second...it fills in every other line and then smoothly fills in like a blend.....kind of like taking both of your hands and filling the fingers in between one another as if you were praying....(interlaced)

1080p is on an island by itself...the better comparison is between 720p and 1080i....720p is better for sports as the resolution is displayed horizontally and displays 720 lines every 15th of a second I believe...while 1080i fills in half the lines every 30th lines...

What is Blu-Ray?

Blu-ray is high definition movies and they have their own player that plays Blu-ray movies and regular DVD's as well...

all Blu-ray players are 1080p and they have support from almost every studio

Sony (Columbia/Tri-star)

Disney (Buena Vista/Miramax/Pixar)

Fox

MGM

Lionsgate

New Line Cinema

WB

Universal and Paramount support HD-DVD exclusively and WB supports both...

Blu-ray is pretty much either 5x the capacity od DVD (4.5 GB) at 25 GB and a dual-layer Blu-ray is 50 GB which is 10x the size of DVD which allows for higher resolution and greater quality in sound..

plus the players use a blue laser instead of red which pinpoints a smaller area of the disk and is more precise..

you can find out what you need if you are interested at blu-ray.com

the bulb has to be changed every couple of years if you own a projection TV....it can be LCD or DLP...but the bulb blows out and the difference between DLP and LCD is the colors...but the flat panel LCD's do not require a bulb and I believe there are no flat panel DLP's..

some people think DLP looks more vibrant while I actually think it looks a bit too artificial....but that's my opinion...

I could go a bit further into this...especially with explaining HD-DVD...but I think mr ted would be better suited for that...

Wow. Very insightful. I appreciate you taking the time to share this info with me. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually getting excited for Black Friday!

Edited by theprofessor

Kid , Baby.....just put a Fireplace in for my Parents and framed the openning above to fit a 40" Sony 1080p Bravia.......my Dad ,like me ,knows nothing about these TV's and just went to a High End Electronic Store cause he doesn't like the little queers working at Best Buy.........the place will deliver and set up this unit for $1646.00 plus tax...........is this high.........where should he by this sucker........it's the one he wants.........TIA :D

I don't care what price he's getting, by not going to Best Buy, he's making the right choice. BTW, there are three Bravia Series, the V, the W, and the XBR so without knowing which one it is it's tough to tell on the price. I'm guessing that it is the V series (lists for $1699) so if it isn't, then he's getting a great deal as the others are higher priced. No matter which one it is, I think your dad made a great choice.

One thing to make sure is that you provide proper ventilation for the unit. Nothing beats up electronic components faster than excessive heat.

oh and prof when you buy your cables make sure you go to Monoprice.com I am sure that Kid et al will agree with me

6' HDMI to HDMI for $4.79

6' Optical Toslink $3.27

PREMIUM Optical Toslink $6.49

Kid can weigh in on the HDMI 1.3a vs reg HDMI

Keg,

What's the difference between the HDMI & the optical cable? I thought HDMI carried both audio & video and the optical only did audio? Just wondering why someone would need both? Is it for the surround sound to work properly?

Keg,

What's the difference between the HDMI & the optical cable? I thought HDMI carried both audio & video and the optical only did audio? Just wondering why someone would need both? Is it for the surround sound to work properly?

just linked the optical cables to show the value that monoprice has....also if you have a DVD player that doesnt have HDMI but has an optical link you would need one...i guess I was just thinking of the cables that I have purchased from them :D

Keg,

I mentioned in another post that HDMI allows for higher capabilities in regards to sound...

it allows for uncompressed sound...optical doesn't allow for this...

right now HDMI is the "top dog" in regards to sound...and video as well, but component cables are just as good for video, but you won't get the best sound through optical......

HDMI covers both bases..

Edited by Avernus

just linked the optical cables to show the value that monoprice has....also if you have a DVD player that doesnt have HDMI but has an optical link you would need one...i guess I was just thinking of the cables that I have purchased from them :D

I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. I honestly didn't know as I'm not much of a videophile. I thought there was a reason for the two cables.

:D

oh and prof when you buy your cables make sure you go to Monoprice.com I am sure that Kid et al will agree with me

6' HDMI to HDMI for $4.79

6' Optical Toslink $3.27

PREMIUM Optical Toslink $6.49

Kid can weigh in on the HDMI 1.3a vs reg HDMI

You guys are killing me here :D If I do get a relatively "high end" plasma or LCD should I stay away from Optical and get only HDMI? How exactly wil these products benefit me?

I mentioned in another post that HDMI allows for higher capabilities in regards to sound...

it allows for uncompressed sound...optical doesn't allow for this...

right now HDMI is the "top dog" in regards to sound...and video as well, but component cables are just as good for video, but you won't get the best sound through optical......

HDMI covers both bases..

OK, this explains the HDMI benefit. Thanks!

I don't care what price he's getting, by not going to Best Buy, he's making the right choice. BTW, there are three Bravia Series, the V, the W, and the XBR so without knowing which one it is it's tough to tell on the price. I'm guessing that it is the V series (lists for $1699) so if it isn't, then he's getting a great deal as the others are higher priced. No matter which one it is, I think your dad made a great choice.

One thing to make sure is that you provide proper ventilation for the unit. Nothing beats up electronic components faster than excessive heat.

:D Thanks for the info Kid........it's a corner fireplace so there's room in the brack and a 3" reveal around the TV..........he's usin the pedestal and not mountin it on a bracket......told him i can't wait till black friday ....we need it for Thanksgiving football so he is gonna grill the High End dudes to assure him of a good price :D Thanks again i feel better :wacko:

I spent about 2 hours at Circuit City and Best Buy today and here's my Top 3 selections:

1. Panasonic 50' 1080p

This TV is on sale? and they will give me an additional 10% off = $2,380.00 (Blu-ray $499)

I love the Memory Card feature on this TV where yo can insert your card from the digital camera and view your family pictures as a slideshow on

the TV when your entertaining etc. - Panasonic is proven and is the #1 brand on most reviews I've read. Picture looks great.

2. Pioneer 50" 1080p plasma - Regular price $3,499 - on sale for $2,799 - is this that good of a price?

The Best Buy salesman talked about this TV more than any other brand. I personally felt this TV had the best picture of my Top 3 but it is very, very close between all 3. The BB guy said that Pioneer is the "new leader" in the Plasma world and the "guts" of the TV are superior to any other brand?

3. Samsung 46" 1080p LCD HDTV $1,999

I thought this TV also had a great picture. Where would you rank this brand. From the little research I've done it's Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Samsung. Is #4 worth spending $400-$1,000 less (and giving up the 4"? I know my wife wouldn't want to give up 4 inches :D

I think I'm also going to purchase a Blu-Ray player.

Keggerz, I also priced the HDMI cables and they ranged from $89.00 - $179.00 depending on the length. The guy at Circuit City said that I would need at least 2 and maybe 3? WTH? The link at monoprice.com showed HDMI cables for $7.49 - $12.49. I'm assuming the link wasn't the same cables that I need?

What do you guys think? I know my buddy from Arizona bought a Pioneer Plasma so I'm interested to know what he paid and how he likes their product.

I spent about 2 hours at Circuit City and Best Buy today and here's my Top 3 selections:

1. Panasonic 50' 1080p

This TV is on sale? and they will give me an additional 10% off = $2,380.00 (Blu-ray $499)

I love the Memory Card feature on this TV where yo can insert your card from the digital camera and view your family pictures as a slideshow on

the TV when your entertaining etc. - Panasonic is proven and is the #1 brand on most reviews I've read. Picture looks great.

2. Pioneer 50" 1080p plasma - Regular price $3,499 - on sale for $2,799 - is this that good of a price?

The Best Buy salesman talked about this TV more than any other brand. I personally felt this TV had the best picture of my Top 3 but it is very, very close between all 3. The BB guy said that Pioneer is the "new leader" in the Plasma world and the "guts" of the TV are superior to any other brand?

3. Samsung 46" 1080p LCD HDTV $1,999

I thought this TV also had a great picture. Where would you rank this brand. From the little research I've done it's Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Samsung. Is #4 worth spending $400-$1,000 less (and giving up the 4"? I know my wife wouldn't want to give up 4 inches :D

I think I'm also going to purchase a Blu-Ray player.

Keggerz, I also priced the HDMI cables and they ranged from $89.00 - $179.00 depending on the length. The guy at Circuit City said that I would need at least 2 and maybe 3? WTH? The link at monoprice.com showed HDMI cables for $7.49 - $12.49. I'm assuming the link wasn't the same cables that I need?

What do you guys think? I know my buddy from Arizona bought a Pioneer Plasma so I'm interested to know what he paid and how he likes their product.

no...the ones at monprice are the same ones....buy the gold plated ones

the difference is the ones at CC and at the other stores are name brand like "monster cable" and you are paying about 50 bucks for the name..

that's all...but gold plated cables are necessary here...

I own all my HDMI cables from monoprice.com :D

no...the ones at monprice are the same ones....buy the gold plated ones

the difference is the ones at CC and at the other stores are name brand like "monster cable" and you are paying about 50 bucks for the name..

that's all...but gold plated cables are necessary here...

I own all my HDMI cables from monoprice.com :D

Perfect. How long do they take to ship?