[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another asterisk?

keggerz

your point was YOUR OPINION....it did not mesh with the NFL Rulebook...the NFL just said it tells its officials to do that....had you claimed to know that the NFL told the officials to do that then YOUR POINT would have had merit...but it didnt, it was just your opinion on how it should have been handled....in the end your opinion aligned with what an NFL Spokesman said that officials are told to do.

Man you are bitter. Is this the first game you've ever watched or something? The refs NEVER look to the sideline, not now, not 30 years ago. Its like your surprised it happened this way, too bad it happens in virtually ever game played, every season since the NFL came into being. But now its a big deal because it helped the Pats.

BTW, I've heard numerous reports saying that 31 out of 31 defensive coordinators should have, and most likely would have made that call. On a 4th down their job is to see what the offense is lining up to do, call the TO and plan against what they've seen. I don't view it as a blown call by anyone on the Baltimore sideline. Its easy to say you wouldn't have done it because you know the outcome. What he should have done was call a second straight TO. What?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article:

Shake it off ladies.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/footbal...ticleid=1048695

The Pats also have started to spend too much time fretting about the officiating. Linebacker Mike Vrabel screamed profanities at the officials as they headed into their dressing room after the game, while Brady and Moss hardly could hide their disgust in their respective postgame press conferences.

Edited by xtra

Man you are bitter. Is this the first game you've ever watched or something? The refs NEVER look to the sideline, not now, not 30 years ago. Its like your surprised it happened this way, too bad it happens in virtually ever game played, every season since the NFL came into being. But now its a big deal because it helped the Pats.

BTW, I've heard numerous reports saying that 31 out of 31 defensive coordinators should have, and most likely would have made that call. On a 4th down their job is to see what the offense is lining up to do, call the TO and plan against what they've seen. I don't view it as a blown call by anyone on the Baltimore sideline. Its easy to say you wouldn't have done it because you know the outcome. What he should have done was call a second straight TO. What?

i am not bitter at all....look up a few posts and you will see that i said if the NFL says it was ok then its ok.....i was pointing out that his OPINION had nothing to do with how the rule book is written

it isnt a big deal because it helped the pats, its a big deal if the officials are not doing their job....the NFL said they did so its over and done with....and fwiw things are much different today vs 30 years ago.....and fwiw i wasnt surprised that Ryan was granted the TO...i was surprised when it was reported he actually didnt have the ability according to the RULE BOOK to call a TO...with that said I expect the REFS to enforce the rules.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/footbal...ticleid=1048695

The Pats also have started to spend too much time fretting about the officiating. Linebacker Mike Vrabel screamed profanities at the officials as they headed into their dressing room after the game, while Brady and Moss hardly could hide their disgust in their respective postgame press conferences.

bad link

Here's what I don't get - what calls do they mean?

The Timeout? That's not a "call" that's your coaching staff not trusting you (which if I'm the Ravens I am pissed cause if anyone on that team has earned trust over the years, it's the defensive players).

The false start? That was very obvious, blew before the snap, and was againt the pats

the defensive holding? Guessing it's this one - that was such a blatant hold, would have been pretty tough to ignore (i did find it odd Brady threw the ball unless he saw the hold already - seemed to be pretty well covered...mostly cause he was held the whole way)

the double unsportsmans and the offsides on the kick....umm, can't really complain about any of that I wouldn't think

not stickign up for the Pats as no one needs to, but i've seen a lot worse ways the refs have screwed teams than this

Here's what I don't get - what calls do they mean?

The Timeout? That's not a "call" that's your coaching staff not trusting you (which if I'm the Ravens I am pissed cause if anyone on that team has earned trust over the years, it's the defensive players).

The false start? That was very obvious, blew before the snap, and was againt the pats

the defensive holding? Guessing it's this one - that was such a blatant hold, would have been pretty tough to ignore (i did find it odd Brady threw the ball unless he saw the hold already - seemed to be pretty well covered...mostly cause he was held the whole way)

the double unsportsmans and the offsides on the kick....umm, can't really complain about any of that I wouldn't think

not stickign up for the Pats as no one needs to, but i've seen a lot worse ways the refs have screwed teams than this

frustration is about the only thing that makes any sense

The Refs were forced to make all those calls. The TD was close but was called a TD on the field. The bad call was the non-OPI call on the hailmary where the Patriots DBs were mugged, literally.

agreed, but for some reason the refs always seem to leave their flags in their pockets on hail mary passes

I think I'm fine with that. Battle royal for all the marbles.

what would have been interesting would have been a Defensive PI call on the hail mary :D

would billick have gone for the win or the tie :D

Edited by keggerz

I think I'm fine with that. Battle royal for all the marbles.

I think Baltimore knows that and it was a planned play the way it went down (and was very smart). First step is the catching of the ball - send 4 guys in the area, 2 are "catchers", 2 are "tacklers" - the 2 tacklers take out everyone in front of the 2 catchers. Then, one of the catchers does the catching, then you just hope to get lucky (or really, hope you are already in teh end zone - Boller threw it a little too high and a little too short.)

One thing I never understand - why do they always go to the corner for these - a bit of a breeze or a slightly off target, and you threw your last chance out of bounds? Why no go to the middle of the field?

One thing I never understand - why do they always go to the corner for these - a bit of a breeze or a slightly off target, and you threw your last chance out of bounds? Why no go to the middle of the field?

Is this the first game you've ever watched or something? They always throw it to the sideline, same as it was 30 years ago. Its like your surprised it happened this way, too bad it happens in virtually ever game played, every season since the NFL came into being.

:D

seriously its a good question

Edited by keggerz

what is this the first time you have ever watched a game, thats how they have been doing it in the NFL for 30 years and how they will continue to do it.

:D

I know - that's the thing. I gotta figure that in all that time i'm not the first guy to say "you know, if we go to the middle, we don't have to worry about out of bounds".

same thing usually happens in college football, and I'd guess approx 30% of the time the damn ball ends up 10 yard out of bounds. I assume there's an explanation, just wondering what in the world it could be.

QUOTE STEALER!!!

The sidelines are the most direct route downfield for the receivers. If they have to run from the edges to the center, they have to run farther, and thus it takes longer. The shortest distance is a straight line. Plus the Defense has to kind of guess which side to send the saftey help towards, and you can guess the right way, and have one less opposition defender there, that is unless you sky the ball as much as Boller did. If Clayton hadn't jumped so high, he could have maybe had some quick drive with his legs backwards, but he hung up so long it was too late.

That was a fun ending, whether the refs blew it or not. Rules are made to be broken. Didn't someone say that?

Can someone copy a link or the direct quote in the NFL rulebook this all started around?

QUOTE STEALER!!!

The sidelines are the most direct route downfield for the receivers. If they have to run from the edges to the center, they have to run farther, and thus it takes longer. The shortest distance is a straight line. Plus the Defense has to kind of guess which side to send the saftey help towards, and you can guess the right way, and have one less opposition defender there, that is unless you sky the ball as much as Boller did. If Clayton hadn't jumped so high, he could have maybe had some quick drive with his legs backwards, but he hung up so long it was too late.

That was a fun ending, whether the refs blew it or not. Rules are made to be broken. Didn't someone say that?

Can someone copy a link or the direct quote in the NFL rulebook this all started around?

first :D

second i will see if i can find it

NFL Rulebook, Rule 4, Section 5, Article 1 reads:

The Referee shall suspend play while the ball is dead and declare a charged team timeout upon the request for a timeout by the head coach or any player to any official.

Edited by keggerz

your point was YOUR OPINION....it did not mesh with the NFL Rulebook...the NFL just said it tells its officials to do that....had you claimed to know that the NFL told the officials to do that then YOUR POINT would have had merit...but it didnt, it was just your opinion on how it should have been handled....in the end your opinion aligned with what an NFL Spokesman said that officials are told to do.

Never said it was anything other than my opinion, simply pointing out that it is impossible to do what you were recommending based on what the officials' jobs are on the play. Based on my experience as an official, it is obvious that you can't expect a guy to have eyes in the back of his head. If he hears a time out call and waits to blow the whistle, turns around and askes the HC if he is the one that wanted the TO, the play goes on without him when it should have been stopped - and worse yet, he has his back to it. This is completely unacceptable for any official in any sport.

Baltimore called for a TO, got it, and had to live with it. Anything else is sour grapes. IN MY OPINION!

QUOTE STEALER!!!

I buy the first part (and thought of that myself), but not sure it offsets the fact that (a), usually the Qb is staying in the pocket so now has to throw it further (the offset of the triangle here), and (:D, the 20-30% chance the ball will sail out of bounds.

2nd part, don't buy. Usually pretty obvious which side they are going to - the side with the 3-4 guys lined up. Now, if you go with 2 guys on each side, I can see it a bit, but you never see that.

And definitely agree that was one hell of an ending to a game - last 3 minutes were ridiculously tense.

Never said it was anything other than my opinion, simply pointing out that it is impossible to do what you were recommending based on what the officials' jobs are on the play. Based on my experience as an official, it is obvious that you can't expect a guy to have eyes in the back of his head. If he hears a time out call and waits to blow the whistle, turns around and askes the HC if he is the one that wanted the TO, the play goes on without him when it should have been stopped - and worse yet, he has his back to it. This is completely unacceptable for any official in any sport.

Baltimore called for a TO, got it, and had to live with it. Anything else is sour grapes. IN MY OPINION!

dont twist what i said, I said according to the rules the official should have made sure that the person calling the TO was one that was allowed to....not my fault there is a poorly worded rule in the rule book...but hey like i said the NFL clarified it and that is fine by me(but i think they should re-write the rule too)

dont twist what i said, I said according to the rules the official should have made sure that the person calling the TO was one that was allowed to....not my fault there is a poorly worded rule in the rule book...but hey like i said the NFL clarified it and that is fine by me(but i think they should re-write the rule too)

Agreed that the rule needs to be clarified, but what you're saying the official should do goes against everything all officials are trained to do during a game in all sports. You don't turn your back on a play. Ever. He simply CAN'T turn away from the play and make sure the right guy called the time out. That was my point, that's all.

Actually, it was my neighbor who called the time out...he was trying to get his 4 yr old to obey him and happened to be sitting near the Ravens bench when he said..."would you like a TIME OUT?"...guess the ref heard him :D

If it's any consolation to you Baltimore fans I think he's sorry...

Ahhh quit the crying! Good game. The turning point was the interception thrown by Baltimore. Just like what happened with Philadelphia. Gotta play a near perfect game, or at least a perfect 4th quarter to beat the Pats. Im sure all the playoff teams were watching and taking notes.

Guys in the booth just went over the NFL rule for calling a TO and it states only a player or head coach can call a TO....Rex Ryans TO by letter of the law should not have been allowed

* :D

Wow. I didn't know that.

And the worst part is that after the Time Out ruled that play dead before it started, the Patriots got lucky again by going offsides, only to get stuffed in the backfield again for a loss. As usual, third time is a charm and they get the first down. :D

If the Patriots win the Super Bowl I'd have no problem with this:

2007 Super Bowl Champions: New England Patriots * *